Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Image for Upload - using Paintshop Pro

For anyone using PaintShop Pro to make an image file of suitable size for uploading to Shuttertalk, the following steps work in my X4 and X6, but might also apply in other versions:

Make a copy of your full-size image file and load it into PaintShop Pro X6.

Click on the "Image" menu and then click on "Resize" - you will then see the "Resize" window, where you can make all the following selections:-

In the "Print Size" section ignore "Width" and "Height" but, on the right, set the "Resolution" units to "Pixels per inch" and type 96 in the box.

In the bottom half, the "Advanced Settings" box must be checked (i.e. ticked). In the advanced settings, check the "Resample Using" box, and select "Bicubic". Set the "Sharpness" to 50. Check the "Lock Aspect Ratio" box but ignore the number.

Now look at the "Pixel Dimensions" section and, on the right, make sure that the units selected are "Pixels". In the "New" width box type 900 - the height will automatically change to the correct value (because you have locked the aspect ratio).

Click on "OK" and you will now see your photo 900 pixels wide, which is the suitable width for Shuttertalk.

Zoom your view to 100% and then, only if necessary, apply a bit of sharpening.

Save your new image as a JPG file, which is unlikely to exceed 1MB, and upload it to the Forum.

[ If the file is still too large, you will need to change the JPG compression (select "Options" in the "Save As" window) ].

Cheers.
Philip

Thank you for that info Mr. B. ..... I have Corels PSP X6 and find it very user friendly for photography, especially the "Perfectly Clear" plugin.
But doesn't the EXIF Information disappear once the image has been resized?

Canon EOS 650D with 18-55 kit lens/ 75-300 zoom/ 100-400 zoom
https://www.flickr.com/photos/125137869@N08/

EXIF will stay with Pic. Ed.

To each his own!

Hello Johny. Just tried an Exif reader on the downsized image of the 135mm lens that I uploaded yesterday. It certainly keeps all the important stuff of interest to others here - camera, date taken, focal length, exposure settings, etc. - but it discards some of the details. Try it yourself and see if it loses anything important to you.

Cheers.
Philip
Thumbs Up 

I will certainly give it a try.
I am not too interested in the EXIF.
It is mainly for the members here to look at when a problem arises.
As long as it keeps the shutter speed, aperture and ISO I'm fine with it

(May 9, 2014, 18:17)MrB Wrote:  For anyone using PaintShop Pro to make an image file of suitable size for uploading to Shuttertalk, the following steps work in my X4 and X6, but might also apply in other versions:

Make a copy of your full-size image file and load it into PaintShop Pro X6.

Click on the "Image" menu and then click on "Resize" - you will then see the "Resize" window, where you can make all the following selections:-

In the "Print Size" section ignore "Width" and "Height" but, on the right, set the "Resolution" units to "Pixels per inch" and type 96 in the box.

In the bottom half, the "Advanced Settings" box must be checked (i.e. ticked). In the advanced settings, check the "Resample Using" box, and select "Bicubic". Set the "Sharpness" to 50. Check the "Lock Aspect Ratio" box but ignore the number.

Now look at the "Pixel Dimensions" section and, on the right, make sure that the units selected are "Pixels". In the "New" width box type 900 - the height will automatically change to the correct value (because you have locked the aspect ratio).

Click on "OK" and you will now see your photo 900 pixels wide, which is the suitable width for Shuttertalk.

Zoom your view to 100% and then, only if necessary, apply a bit of sharpening.

Save your new image as a JPG file, which is unlikely to exceed 1MB, and upload it to the Forum.

[ If the file is still too large, you will need to change the JPG compression (select "Options" in the "Save As" window) ].

Cheers.
Philip

Thank you for this information. I believe I have the procedure down now and should not have any more trouble. I use Paintshop Pro X6 Ultimate for my main post processing program and can relate to the resizing function. I believe that PSP's resizing function is the most intuitive and accurate of any program I have tried. And I have tried many many programs. Have a GREAT DAY!
Jeff

Jeffrey Anderson

Your information works a treat.
This picture was 5.69MB's and is now down to 67KB .... Well under the limit ty

Nice one johnny. Personally, I would have given it a bit more contrast, flattish, on my monitor. Ed.

To each his own!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Jocko
Jan 19, 2016, 07:59