Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

JPEG Image File Format

The fact modern cameras have more data from JPEG files than older cameras had from raw, is down to the larger sensor and Megapixel sizes. The advantage of raw files is it gives a greater dynamic range due to the number of bits the files use. I do not decry images shot in JPEG, but prefer working with raw. I use a camera that only captures JPEG files along with my cameras that capture in raw, so I experience both systems regularly.
For me, most of the thrill in photography comes from post processing. That is why I got into having my own darkroom, back in the day, and it is still the case now. I think of shooting in JPEG as like having the film processed for you, then, once you get the negatives back, going into the darkroom and producing your prints. Working with raw files is like doing your own film developing. Where you choose what "brew" to use and whether to force it or not. For me, working with raw files is not a chore. It is a delight.
And one thing no one can deny. If you blow out the highlights in a JPEG you are sunk, whereas with raw you can usually recover sufficient detail. I know the argument here is not to blow out the highlights but it happens all the time. Digital images have far less dynamic range than film, which in turn has even less than the human eye. Every image has to be a compromise (unless you use multiple exposures and HDR processing) so having the maximum dynamic range to allow you to achieve that compromise can only be a good thing.

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

Messages In This Thread
JPEG Image File Format - by MrB - Jan 26, 2015, 12:36
RE: JPEG Image File Format - by EnglishBob - Jan 28, 2015, 11:44
RE: JPEG Image File Format - by MrB - Jan 28, 2015, 18:36
RE: JPEG Image File Format - by Rolf - Jan 29, 2015, 13:29
RE: JPEG Image File Format - by MrB - Jan 29, 2015, 16:51
RE: JPEG Image File Format - by EdMak - Jan 29, 2015, 13:45
RE: JPEG Image File Format - by WDHewson - Feb 2, 2015, 08:09
RE: JPEG Image File Format - by Jocko - Jan 19, 2016, 02:02
RE: JPEG Image File Format - by MrB - Jan 19, 2016, 06:07
RE: JPEG Image File Format - by Jocko - Jan 19, 2016, 07:59

Possibly Related Threads…