Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Playing with Flashes

I recently bought 2 more speedlight flashes, lightstands, umbrellas, diffusers, grids, backdrops and supports, flash controller and a second set of wireless triggers to build a portable / home studio.

The 2 new flashes are Yongnuo Brand 560 III's. Doesn't support TTL but otherwise function identically to my Canon EX 580 II... the Canon was over $500 and the Yongnuo's were under $70 each, and include a built in wireless receiver!

Multiple off camera flashes are new to me and between Youtube and many millions of wasted pixels (cheaper than film at least!) the learning has been quite quick.

7DII, 1/250", F/6.3, 48mm, three off camera flashes in manual with wireless triggers, camera fired with a 2nd wireless trigger.

Looks promising. Ed.

To each his own!

Great Portrait, Nice lighting
Regards
Wendy

Another from the series, and what i was actually trying to achieve, more or less.

Looks even more promising. Ed.

To each his own!

Fine work Craig.

Photography is a never-ending journey

(May 23, 2015, 10:16)EnglishBob Wrote:  I recently bought 2 more speedlight flashes, lightstands, umbrellas, diffusers, grids, backdrops and supports, flash controller and a second set of wireless triggers to build a portable / home studio.

The 2 new flashes are Yongnuo Brand 560 III's. Doesn't support TTL but otherwise function identically to my Canon EX 580 II... the Canon was over $500 and the Yongnuo's were under $70 each, and include a built in wireless receiver!

Multiple off camera flashes are new to me and between Youtube and many millions of wasted pixels (cheaper than film at least!) the learning has been quite quick.

7DII, 1/250", F/6.3, 48mm, three off camera flashes in manual with wireless triggers, camera fired with a 2nd wireless trigger.
Can you post a sketch describing the lighting layout?

Will try to throw something together this evening.

Both images were shot in a normally lit room, with camera settings eliminating ambient light.

In the First image with more lighting, both side flashes are set to 1/32, zoomed to 105mm and fitted with small 1/2 inch grids, to stop the light spilling. they are on light stands and set just about 1 foot higher than head height, down angled. The center flash is set to 1/64th and zoomed 24mm with the diffuser panel extended, it is on the floor aimed up at my head. I was slightly behind the side flashes for this one.

In the outline one both side flashes are set to 1/64th, zoomed to 105mm and fitted with small 1/2 inch grids, to stop the light spilling. They are on light stands and set slightly higher than shoulder level ans aimed almost straight forward, just slightly turned in on me. The center flash is set to 1/128th and zoomed 24mm with the diffuser panel extended, it is about waist height and hidden behind me. I was around 5 feet in front of the flashes for this one.

(Jun 8, 2015, 12:40)EnglishBob Wrote:  Both images were shot in a normally lit room, with camera settings eliminating ambient light.

In the First image with more lighting, both side flashes are set to 1/32, zoomed to 105mm and fitted with small 1/2 inch grids, to stop the light spilling. they are on light stands and set just about 1 foot higher than head height, down angled. The center flash is set to 1/64th and zoomed 24mm with the diffuser panel extended, it is on the floor aimed up at my head. I was slightly behind the side flashes for this one.

In the outline one both side flashes are set to 1/64th, zoomed to 105mm and fitted with small 1/2 inch grids, to stop the light spilling. They are on light stands and set slightly higher than shoulder level ans aimed almost straight forward, just slightly turned in on me. The center flash is set to 1/128th and zoomed 24mm with the diffuser panel extended, it is about waist height and hidden behind me. I was around 5 feet in front of the flashes for this one.
Thanks Bob. I didn’t expect such detail. i have a couple of flashes so will have to borrow a third and have a go.
Smile 

Whilst on the subject of 'flashes', here are some images of the reason I haven't posted anything in the last 6 or so months. They have all been taken with the use of flashguns either as primary or secondary lighting.

Born on the 30th December 2014, may I present my Granddaughter Lucy. Smile

All Images taken with a Nikon D300 and either one, two or three Nikon SB800's

There seems to be a theme developing here, other than flash photography that is. Ah yes, both of the models have the same hairstyle!!! Smile

Thanks for looking.

Best regards.

Phil.

Hey, I resemble that comment! Congratulations Phil.

Dean, the images I took with just the side lights aren't that different. Might try with just the two.

(Jun 8, 2015, 16:34)EnglishBob Wrote:  Hey, I resemble that comment! Congratulations Phil.

Dean, the images I took with just the side lights aren't that different. Might try with just the two.

Thanks Bob,

Lucy is my first Grandchild and has captivated the whole family from my Aunt & Uncle who are Lucy's Great - Great Aunt & Uncle through to my daughter, her Aunt and assorted cousins. Needless to say my son is a very proud and protective Dad. Smile

Thanks again.

Best regards.

Phil.

Great Phil, in competition with the Duchess of Cambridge? Cheers. Ed.

To each his own!

Hi Ed,

Well I suppose my daughter-in-law may have had that in mind, but, I confess to being unaware of her association with Royalty!! Smile

Best regards & thanks.

Phil.

The Duchess shot her own images, used a Cabon 5D II.

I'll take my hat off to you Craig, you're a positive mine of information!! Smile

Yeah... American news is full of all things Royal.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by nia
Jun 30, 2009, 04:10
Last Post by Irma
Oct 12, 2005, 03:11
Last Post by Rufus
Aug 28, 2005, 12:46