Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Confused about Photo Editing options.
Question 

I am new to digital photography. I have recently bought a Nikon DSLR, and a Windows 10 laptop. I would like to plug a memory card into the card reader, load a single image into the editing software, then either e-mail the edited result to someone, or save it somewhere. Elements seems as if it could be a good option as it offers 3 levels of ability. I am told that most of my local Camera club use Lightroom, though exactly what it does remains a mystery to me! Furthermore, most of the literature suggests that you need both of them! Also, on previous threads on this subject, people have talked about having half a dozen different applications. And then there is the confusing pricing structure...
Can anyone suggest a single software application which will do what I require, without being obliged to accept expensive updates every year.

(Mar 26, 2016, 15:13)Tom Forrest Wrote:  I am new to digital photography. I have recently bought a Nikon DSLR, and a Windows 10 laptop. I would like to plug a memory card into the card reader, load a single image into the editing software, then either e-mail the edited result to someone, or save it somewhere. Elements seems as if it could be a good option as it offers 3 levels of ability. I am told that most of my local Camera club use Lightroom, though exactly what it does remains a mystery to me! Furthermore, most of the literature suggests that you need both of them! Also, on previous threads on this subject, people have talked about having half a dozen different applications. And then there is the confusing pricing structure...
Can anyone suggest a single software application which will do what I require, without being obliged to accept expensive updates every year.

Hello Tom.
If you scroll down in main photography discussion you will see comments we are making about this topic. It is headed Photo Editing software - what do you use? I myself use Corel Paintshop Pro and find this will do everything - I just have to learn how to do it. I recently upgraded to x8 from x6, but did not have to do so as this is in disc format, not downloaded. Hope this helps
Regards Jane

Elements will cover everything you need and no need to buy a new version unless you buy a newer camera it doesn't support.

Hi, Tom. Elements will do what you want. However, as you get more adventurous you may wish to do more and that will require slightly better software. I use a range of software, but it is just stuff I have gathered over the years. I like Lightroom, for its ease and simplicity. I use Photoshop (an old, long superseded version) for stuff I cannot do in Lightroom, but most of what I need to do I can easily do with Lightroom. I have the latest version, bought as a standalone disc, but when Version 7 comes out I won't update. V6 does everything I'll ever need. I have Elements 4, but don't use it. I don't use it because I started with a very early copy of Photoshop and when I was given Elements I couldn't be bothered learning how to use it. Not because of any limitations with Elements. I recently bought Paintshop Pro X8, and don't use that for the very same reason. There is also a very good freeware programme called GIMP 2.8. I is supposedly as good as Photoshop. I downloaded that as well, but because it is another thing to learn I have only played with it. I have probably only clouded the situation for you but I am sure others here will have other options. Whatever you go for, learn it, and enjoy producing sparkling images.
John.

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

(Mar 26, 2016, 15:47)snaphappy Wrote:  
(Mar 26, 2016, 15:13)Tom Forrest Wrote:  I am new to digital photography. I have recently bought a Nikon DSLR, and a Windows 10 laptop. I would like to plug a memory card into the card reader, load a single image into the editing software, then either e-mail the edited result to someone, or save it somewhere. Elements seems as if it could be a good option as it offers 3 levels of ability. I am told that most of my local Camera club use Lightroom, though exactly what it does remains a mystery to me! Furthermore, most of the literature suggests that you need both of them! Also, on previous threads on this subject, people have talked about having half a dozen different applications. And then there is the confusing pricing structure...

Hello Tom.
If you scroll down in main photography discussion you will see comments we are making about this topic. It is headed Photo Editing software - what do you use? I myself use Corel Paintshop Pro and find this will do everything - I just have to learn how to do it. I recently upgraded to x8 from x6, but did not have to do so as this is in disc format, not downloaded. Hope this helps
Regards Jane

Hi Jane,
Thanks for your comments. I did read the previous threads on this subject. However, as I am new to posting on forums, I wasn't sure if posting etiquette allowed me to tack another question on to the end of someone else's post.
Have a nice day...
Tom

(Mar 26, 2016, 16:06)Jocko Wrote:  Hi, Tom. Elements will do what you want. However, as you get more adventurous you may wish to do more and that will require slightly better software. I use a range of software, but it is just stuff I have gathered over the years. I like Lightroom, for its ease and simplicity. I use Photoshop (an old, long superseded version) for stuff I cannot do in Lightroom, but most of what I need to do I can easily do with Lightroom. I have the latest version, bought as a standalone disc, but when Version 7 comes out I won't update. V6 does everything I'll ever need. I have Elements 4, but don't use it. I don't use it because I started with a very early copy of Photoshop and when I was given Elements I couldn't be bothered learning how to use it. Not because of any limitations with Elements. I recently bought Paintshop Pro X8, and don't use that for the very same reason. There is also a very good freeware programme called GIMP 2.8. I is supposedly as good as Photoshop. I downloaded that as well, but because it is another thing to learn I have only played with it. I have probably only clouded the situation for you but I am sure others here will have other options. Whatever you go for, learn it, and enjoy producing sparkling images.
John.
Hi,
Thanks John (and Craig) for your input. You have convinced me to follow my first instinct and go for Elements as a single standalone application. I will see how I get on with that - you never know, I might get the bug and end up with a whole suite of software eventually.
Have a nice day...
Tom

I still only use one program for editing and processing (Photoshop). I do use another program to view my images and find ones I want to work on.

Tom, you have made a good choice. The advantage of Elements is that it will integrate smoothly with your e-mail account and allow you to attach any image to an e-mail with one click. In other software applications it's not as simple as that.

GrahamS
Take my advice.  I'm not using it.Wink

Hi Tom
I am with Jocko on this one most of my editing being within lightroom, but also has the advantage of file handling, which once you understand the process is in my belief second to none, I also use photoshop for as Jocko says the bits I can not do in lightroom or photoshop does a better job, it's personal choice and of course your budget, think of it like a camera set up, I spend as much as I can on glass (lenses) and as much as I need on the body, so depending how much editing you intend to do, and how deeply you wish to get into it, I would suggest you spend as much as you can afford and hopefully only spend it once.

Pete

RAW to the core.

I don't use the file handling and cataloguing in Lightroom, but only because, for the past 15 years I have used ACDSee. It comes down to what you are used to. As an OAP, my brain has done all the learning it wants to, so the less new software to master, the better!

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Barbara G.
Aug 3, 2020, 06:59
Last Post by Sabion
Jun 12, 2020, 03:35