Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

EVF or Optical?

My daughter has asked me to recommend a camera for her partner. It will be used to take photographs of food, landscapes, travel, wildlife and the family. Although they have some desirable features ( light weight, small size, good image quality) I am loathe to recommend a CSC because of the electronic viewfinder. I have a Fujifilm X-T10 and my Best Beloved has a Fujifilm X-30. We use them as take-along cameras when we are out and about, not for anything serious, although both have returned terrific images on occasion, as you will have seen in some of my posts here. And bear in mind that the EVF on both these Fujifilm cameras is the same unit and arguably the best EVF out there.

The requirement to photograph food properly ( her partner is in the hospitality business) requires a good viewfinder image, in my opinion. I just get frustrated when I try to do so using the X-T10. I cannot see the depth of focus or the sharpness properly using the EVF, and the image on the LCD is just too small. The same applies to wildlife - I struggle to shoot birds, especially quick moving ones in flight or on water, using a tele-zoom lens, with the EVF of the X-T10 and find the LCD totally useless for this.

For family pictures and travel, the little Fuji is marvelous and even for the occasional landscape, but otherwise I can't imagine how I could do without the "proper" viewfinders of my DSLR cameras and the clear, real-time image that they provide.

Is it just me, or are there others out there who share my view?

GrahamS
Take my advice.  I'm not using it.Wink

Messages In This Thread
EVF or Optical? - by GrahamS - May 2, 2016, 06:54
RE: EVF or Optical? - by Jocko - May 2, 2016, 08:03
RE: EVF or Optical? - by MrB - May 2, 2016, 08:59
RE: EVF or Optical? - by GrahamS - May 2, 2016, 15:26
RE: EVF or Optical? - by MrB - May 2, 2016, 18:25
RE: EVF or Optical? - by GrahamS - May 3, 2016, 12:21
RE: EVF or Optical? - by MrB - May 3, 2016, 15:45
RE: EVF or Optical? - by EdMak - May 2, 2016, 10:03
RE: EVF or Optical? - by EnglishBob - May 3, 2016, 09:05