Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Some people dont like cameras ; what to do when their in front of yours?

Good day to you all!

Sharing some tricks of the trade;
how to make people who are in front of you're camera, but don't want to be there,  laugh?

This happens a lot when you have to shoot business-portraits or company-pictures; 
there are always a few people who hate it but their supervisor tells them they have to as they need pictures for the new website. 

[Image: total.jpg]

All these women hated to be on pictures.

Ive noticed I do a little routine, which I think is a combination of things I've seen other photographers do and copy that. 
Basically you always, of course, shake their hand and introduce and try to break the ice as fast as possible.
You give them information on what you're doing there and how they can get out of this situation as fast as possible.
The most important thing is to have fun, to laugh (even though there's nothing really funny) people copy laughing automatically, talk about stuff like holidays, the weekend, vacations, the sun (if its good weather outside) and joke and goof around.
Often I peek over my camera with a funny face or huge smile which always works for another shot.

This seems to work with most people, but somehow there are always people who are a lot tougher. 
So that is what I ask you guys; do you have any tricks you use? Do you keep it serious or do you goof and dance around like a clown when you have these commissioned jobs where people have to laugh into the camera although they hate it?

Hi Gerben!
I usualy use the shoot as a hook, asking them if they are familiar with the shooting, if they do it for the first i will make jokes about how bad i pose when i'm photographed. As a man it's easy for me to get along with female subjects by making jokes, mirroring some poses for them, somethimes i exagerate the mirroring with awkward poses and peaple start laughing. Another good option is to realy listen them and maybe find if you have some common passions like music, arts,sports etc. For male subject i usualy talk about sports. All in all is useful if you have some general knowledge.
If i have to deal with professional models they usualy know what to do but that's another thread.
Nice pictures by the way! If were submitted to critique section i would give some feedback Smile
Regards,
Robert

As someone who never liked to be in front of the camera I tend to use humor, mostly at my expense, to get them either laughing or at least relaxed.

(Apr 25, 2017, 11:54)RobertMurariu Wrote:  Hi Gerben!
I usualy use the shoot as a hook, asking them if they are familiar with the shooting, if they do it for the first i will make jokes about how bad i pose when i'm photographed. As a man it's easy for me to get along with female subjects by making jokes, mirroring some poses for them, somethimes i exagerate the mirroring with awkward poses and peaple start laughing. Another good option is to realy listen them and maybe find if you have some common passions like music, arts,sports etc. For male subject i usualy talk about sports. All in all is useful if you have some general knowledge.
If i have to deal with professional models they usualy know what to do but that's another thread.
Nice pictures by the way! If were submitted to critique section i would give some feedback Smile
Regards,
Robert
Great idea! While explaining where to stand etc. I might do some weird poses or so but the shoot is of course the first thing you relate over; however I think its important not to talk too long about the shoot and modeling as it might make them too much self aware. 

Thank you! Although I know those pictures have a lot to criticize on; as this was a job for shooting all 100 employees in like 3 days ( so it was hardly a 5 minutes shoot per person and constantly running around with a small studio-set between 4 buildings; don't you just love it when everybody is busy and there's not a perfect schedule on who to shoot next Tongue)

But you know what: I might a few pictures of other businessportrait shoots which I had a bit more time for Smile

(Apr 25, 2017, 21:43)EnglishBob Wrote:  As someone who never liked to be in front of the camera I tend to use humor, mostly at my expense, to get them either laughing or at least relaxed.
I think having a great selfhumour is the best tactic: Sometimes I really feel like a circusmonkey or a dancing clown when I'm trying to make people laugh!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EdMak
Feb 8, 2017, 15:35