Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Rangefinders

Along with the other 21 things going on in my camera bags, I have decided to venture into a rangefinder. I have picked up a camera that is 60 yrs old. (just a bit younger than the glacier that will be holding it) It has a 'good' reputation and very innovative features for that era. I have bought a Konica IIIA. I picked it up at a second hand store for $26.00cad , and it is mint. Lens cap is missing, as is the hood. It has spent considerable time in the REAL leather case, that does not 'smell' of a basement.  I plan on sending it out for some cleaning and adjustments. My wish is to use this with my A7 for street shots in B&W. My challenge is..what film to use. I have not touched a roll of film in 20 years and a lot has changed...any ideas?
  P S.. If anybody has a lens cap and hood (or a parts camera) that they would be willing to part with I would be interested.

I suggest Ilford XP2 Super 400iso as a start. It is C41 process, so you can have it D&Pd at any high street lab.

GrahamS
Take my advice.  I'm not using it.Wink

I have sent the camera out for cleaning and repair. I believe that one of the iris blades is loose and jamming. Should be done in 3 weeks.  I will start on the hunt for film and a place to develop it. So many shops are closing there is not a lot of choices. Would like to develop the negs myself.

(Aug 29, 2018, 06:11)randybk Wrote:  I have sent the camera out for cleaning and repair. I believe that one of the iris blades is loose and jamming. Should be done in 3 weeks.  I will start on the hunt for film and a place to develop it. So many shops are closing there is not a lot of choices. Would like to develop the negs myself.
Hi!
If you're going to be developing it yourself, then you could try black and white film like Tri-X.

Adam, I think I am going to stick with Grahams idea. The Ilford 400 B&W will give me a good start. The desire is to use this camera for B&W only..not to say I will not put a few colour rolls through it for the entertainment value.

Hi Randybk,
I suggested Tri-X as you mentioned that you would like to develop the negs yourself, but the Ilford XP2 would probably be easier, as GrahamS said, the XP2 can be developed at any lab (C41 process).
Looking forward to seeing the results once the camera is fixed and you've put a roll through!

adam,
it appears as though developing will not be an issue. Here's the story..I was bidding on this camera and "had it" for 26 dollars. Then another bidder jumped in and he brought it to 100 dollars. I dropped out. He asked why I dropped out, I told him that there was an issue with the shutter and it will need repair before use. He said"you really wanted it didn't you, what where you going to do with it?" I told him" it was to be repaired then used on the streets of Toronto. " I was going to shelf it with my others, I'll tell you what, I'll drop my bid , you get it and I want to see some results from the camera". I agreed. We traded email addresses and I contacted him after I sent it in for repair. Turns out he is a portrait photographer shooting 4x5 and 8x10. The 8x10 was 110 years old, and he has full darkroom facilities. We talked for a couple of hours, So now I have a new friend, a darkroom to use and back into developing which I loved to do as a young man. Now, just need the camera in hand...

(Aug 30, 2018, 18:24)randybk Wrote:  Adam, I think I am going to stick with Grahams idea. The Ilford 400 B&W will give me a good start. The desire is to use this camera for B&W only..not to say I will not put a few colour rolls through it for the entertainment value.

(Aug 31, 2018, 05:59)randybk Wrote:  adam,
it appears as though developing will not be an issue. Here's the story..I was bidding on this camera and "had it" for 26 dollars. Then another bidder jumped in and he brought it to 100 dollars. I dropped out. He asked why I dropped out, I told him that there was an issue with the shutter and it will need repair before use. He said"you really wanted it didn't you, what where you going to do with it?" I told him" it was to be repaired then used on the streets of Toronto. " I was going to shelf it with my others, I'll tell you what, I'll drop my bid , you get it and I want to see some results from the camera". I agreed. We traded email addresses and I contacted him after I sent it in for repair. Turns out he is a portrait photographer shooting 4x5 and 8x10. The 8x10 was 110 years old, and he has full darkroom facilities. We talked for a couple of hours, So now I have a new friend, a darkroom to use and back into developing which I loved to do as a young man. Now, just need the camera in hand...

Wow, great outcome! I'm also looking forward to seeing the results!

I love it when a plan comes together......

GrahamS

Graham, in my research for the Konica I ran across a forum that you were on. Do you use a rangefinder? Still waiting for repair week one is complete of three....

(Sep 5, 2018, 17:27)randybk Wrote:  Graham, in my research for the Konica I ran across a forum that you were on. Do you use a rangefinder? Still waiting for repair week one is complete of three....
I have used many RF cameras - from Leica to Contax to Kiev. Best for street work. Nowadays, alas, they sit in a display case, unused.

GrahamS

(Sep 7, 2018, 04:06)GrahamS Wrote:  I got the Konica IIIA back finally! I never rushed the tech, but I was worried that it would not be worth repairing. He said that it was a larger job than he expected, but he repaired it under his quote. So the first roll is in now (Kentmere 400-24exp) in the camera. Something  I had not thought of - how the heck do I scan them so I can post them?

(Oct 20, 2018, 07:04)randybk Wrote:  
(Sep 7, 2018, 04:06)GrahamS Wrote:  I got the Konica IIIA back finally! I never rushed the tech, but I was worried that it would not be worth repairing. He said that it was a larger job than he expected, but he repaired it under his quote. So the first roll is in now (Kentmere 400-24exp) in the camera. Something  I had not thought of - how the heck do I scan them so I can post them?

I did not write this quoted post. It was written by randybk.

GrahamS

[/quote]

I did not write this quoted post. It was written by randybk.
[/quote]

Two parts of the thread could have quoted in the quick reply and part of it edited in the window of reply post.

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Barbara - the code supporting this website forum is broken.

GrahamS

(Oct 20, 2018, 14:59)GrahamS Wrote:  Barbara - the code supporting this website forum is broken.

Hello Graham,

Was this posted before or after the admin changed your account to the new theme?

Thanks,
Barbara

(Oct 22, 2018, 09:24)Barbara G. Wrote:  
(Oct 20, 2018, 14:59)GrahamS Wrote:  Barbara - the code supporting this website forum is broken.

Hello Graham,

Was this posted before or after the admin changed your account to the new theme?

Thanks,
Barbara

Before, I think.

GrahamS

(Oct 22, 2018, 09:24)Barbara G. Wrote:  

Hello Graham,

Thanks,
Barbara
Before, I think.

GrahamS

Okay, thanks for letting me know!

(Oct 20, 2018, 07:04)randybk Wrote:  
If you're not looking to buy a film scanner, and getting it developed at a lab, they may be able to scan it for you.
Otherwise you could take a digital photograph of the print  Big Grin

I did not post this.

GrahamS

(Dec 20, 2018, 10:38)GrahamS Wrote:  

I did not post this.

It looks like they are trying to "quote" you but then changing the text within the quoted section of words.

(Dec 20, 2018, 19:55)Barbara G. Wrote:  I did not post this.

It looks like they are trying to "quote" you but then changing the text within the quoted section of words.
[/quote]

But I didn't post any of it.

GrahamS

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by peter
Aug 1, 2004, 09:23