Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Near InfraRed pictures

Last year, with our cheap digital camera, after seeing some websites about this, I wanted to try infrared photography, just for the fun of it.
The camera I had used did not allow for any filter attachments, so I had some pieces of exposed developed film and bluetacked them together so you couldn't see through. Then blue-tacked it to the front of the lens.
It gave an interesting effect, the skies would come out black and trees white (once I removed the colour caused by the dye of the film)

It was a fun interesting effect.
However, after I bought my Canon 300D, I decided to get a proper filter for this, so I bought a Hoya R72, but was disappointed to find that there is a filter on the CMOS sensor which blocks out the IR light, so couldn't take pictures, but I can still hold the filter infront of other people's camera to show off what their camera could do Smile haha! Actually, I'm amazed by it Smile

To check if your camera can pick-up infrared light, look through the LCD screen on the camera or take a picture while pressing buttons of a remote control faceing the camera - you should be able to see light coming from it! I rarely carry a remote control around with me, so I usually use my mobile phone's infrared to test. Smile

Here's some attempts I did last year using pieces of film.
[Image: treeoutside02(Small).JPG]
This is the tree outside my house.

[Image: IRtreedye.jpg]
This is a tree at curtin I shot after church. I didn't remove the colour.

Does anyone here take nearIR pictures?

Hey very interesting adam. I saw this a while back and it tickled my fancy, but I haven't gotten around to trying it out yet.

* waves remote control in front of camera lens *

Awesome! I can see light with my Fuji S5000! Big Grin

Must see if I can get a filter...

uhauhauhhu ...
lol ...do you still have the R72 filter adam ? ...
it was funny when we found out we couldnt use it non our canons. heheh
would be nice tho ...
we even thought of making IR spotlights. ..

Heheh what thread size is it? If it's 55mm I might consider buying it off you Smile

Yes, I still have it, but I don't put it in my camera bag anymore Smile haha
It's a 58mm filter Smile

There must be a way to remove the IR-blocking-super-powers on the 300D and void the warranty Sad

adam Wrote:There must be a way to remove the IR-blocking-super-powers on the 300D and void the warranty Sad

Yeah, try using some sandpaper when you clean your sensor! Wink

uhahua .. yes ..sandpaper will work .. it wil lalso remove the light sensativity as well .. giving u interesting looking photos.. huauha
or it might just giv u a big black square !

peter Wrote:uhahua .. yes ..sandpaper will work .. it wil lalso remove the light sensativity as well .. giving u interesting looking photos.. huauha
or it might just giv u a big black square !

Is this a new lomo technique or something? =P

yeah of course...
you take a 2000 fdollar camera .. and get interesting pictures by disfiguring it ...
genius technique !...

I wouldn't dare try that.

Hey I found a database of IR sensitivity of cameras:
http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~gisle/photo/ir.html

Still a work in progress but useful nonetheless.

So you still got this IR Filter, if shuttertal don't come through with the money and you wanna sell it I might buy it I have a Hoya 55mm Skylight atm, wanna add to it =), not sure what the sky light does other than act as a adapter to put my wide lense on.

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10
Apple MacBook Pro 15" (Retina Display)

"What do you want to pack today?"

It's a different filter size, dewy. Our cams use 55mm, adam's got a 58mm. Sad

I still use it to show off. har har

shuttertalk Wrote:It's a different filter size, dewy. Our cams use 55mm, adam's got a 58mm. Sad
Is it possible you can get a adapter, I am sure I have seen one some where.

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10
Apple MacBook Pro 15" (Retina Display)

"What do you want to pack today?"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post