Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

back-up

Not sure which forum to put this in, but, question: Do you back-up your pictures?
How many back-up copies do you have?
How often do you back-up?
How do you back-up your pictures? CD-R/DVD-R/HDD/other?
How often will you go through and look at the pictures you have back-ed up?

For me, I haven't backed up any, so they're all on my laptop, so if anything happens to my laptop, I might lose all my pictures! Better back-up soon!

One mistake I've made before, is that I backed up my school pictures onto one CD-R, but that CD got scratched! Sad Luckily, I think I might have another copy somewhere, but at the moment, I don't need to find any pictures from back then, so it's not bothering me Smile

Currently I don't... all on my PC, and some on my laptop.

I should get an external drive though - I think that would be the best solution for me. I think I would be too disorganised to used CDs... probably lose track of them all. Big Grin

My dad said that I can get a DVD writer! So finding out which would be good to get.
Any suggestions?

I got a Pioneer 8x +/-RW one for my birthday... it's pretty good. I heard that the dual layer ones are out though... but then again, like all new technologies, probably best to wait until those mature before getting one...

Yes, I don't think I will go for the dual layer one, the media is quite expensive also.

I backed up my pictures onto DVD at my friends house and also backed it up onto my spare HDD.

I don't currently back up but I will now, just got a DVD burner, adam I highly reccomend this model, it is the LG Multiformat 8x, if you wan't more infor (model, other speeds etc just leave a note)

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10
Apple MacBook Pro 15" (Retina Display)

"What do you want to pack today?"

Hrmm DVD bruner is goods .. use CD as well tho ..
u can get a dvd burner .. i think LG for abt 160 bucks sometimes when they r on sale .. 8x as well

Wow, dewy - which model number is that?
I think that I need to burn onto DVDs now, since I shoot in RAW; okay, it's more of a want than a need; but those RAW files are huge, taking up more space than the developed pictures;
this is the opposite of film photos, the negative is small, the developed image is big.
now we've got large negatives (RAW) but smaller developed images.

adam Wrote:Not sure which forum to put this in, but, question: Do you back-up your pictures?

This topic is quite old, but I'm keen to know what our newer forum members do in terms of archiving and backup?

Yep.

I used to back-up only to CD. Then DVD.
Now I back up to DVD and a removable 160g drive on the network.

Cave canem

shuttertalk Wrote:
adam Wrote:Not sure which forum to put this in, but, question: Do you back-up your pictures?

This topic is quite old, but I'm keen to know what our newer forum members do in terms of archiving and backup?

I burn all original files to CD and I do that every week . so nothing original stays on my PC for more than about a couple of weeks. I also try to remember to make a copy of each CD about once a month and I usually ask my husband to do that for me on his PC as this old PC is a bit iffy and tends to crash when I use the CD writer.

New PC was delivered yesterday and I'm hoping the techie fella will come and set it all up for me maybe next week. I've usually done it myself in the past but I can't do it this time 'cos I'm recovering from a back injury.

I ALWAYS make sure the CD is ok immediately after the burn. Make sure everything was copied properly BEFORE I delete from the PC. I learned that lesson the hard way :x

Polly

Polly Wrote:
shuttertalk Wrote:

I burn all original files to CD and I do that every week . so nothing original stays on my PC for more than about a couple of weeks. I also try to remember to make a copy of each CD about once a month and I usually ask my husband to do that for me on his PC as this old PC is a bit iffy and tends to crash when I use the CD writer.

New PC was delivered yesterday and I'm hoping the techie fella will come and set it all up for me maybe next week. I've usually done it myself in the past but I can't do it this time 'cos I'm recovering from a back injury.

I ALWAYS make sure the CD is ok immediately after the burn. Make sure everything was copied properly BEFORE I delete from the PC. I learned that lesson the hard way :x

Polly
I leanr about dud cds the hard way too, it was cause by my burner which died and It was reformat time, I lost about 60GB of music, games, Linux isos, the lot =(

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10
Apple MacBook Pro 15" (Retina Display)

"What do you want to pack today?"

always validate your compilatiojnsa fter burning...
you can set nero to do it ..
takes extra time ..
but safer that way

Losing music and games shouldn't be too bad - just have to re-rip those cds... and reinstall the games.. but losing pictures - you can't really always repeat the picture exactly how you shot it....

Yeah, photos are priceless...

I back up everything monthly. With a DVD burner I just rewrite over the old files. Occasionally I will save a complete copy and file it.

Nos an modica tantum nostri somnium
"We are limited only by our imagination"

YES... always validate! ... as peter suggested.

Nos an modica tantum nostri somnium
"We are limited only by our imagination"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Freeman
Jan 13, 2015, 13:38