Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Good all purpose telephoto for the D70 (moderately priced)

I am looking for a good all purpose telephoto for my Nikon D70. The Nikon - 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF Nikkor Zoom Lens looks good, but reviews say it doesn't work well with action sports due to the slow autofocus. I am also not absolutely sure it is compatible with the D70. I am not a professional, but I do want to use this for action pictures. How much difference will I notice in speed from the 18-70mm that I am using now?

If this is not a good option is there another in this price range you would recommend (maybe the 55-200mm F/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX when it becomes available)

Thanks.

I know some people that swear by the 70-300 but Ken Rockwell claims it is a bit soft at the far end (300 mm). I have the 80-200 which is fabulous glass and F2.8 through its whole range - but nobody would describe it as low-cost.

Another general lens that I own which is also very good is the 24-85 AFS. It may not have a long enough reach for you however - on the D70 - it would be the equivalent of a 36-128.

Sorry can't be of more help.

I just picked up a sigma 70-300 f4-5.6 with a macro setting, on ebay (new). It was very cheep and seems to get the job done. While its not the fastest with the auto focus, it is slower then my 18-70 but not a huge amount. I have not had any problems with it, and for the price.... Camtea was the seller, seems he sells a bunch.

Snownow Wrote:I just picked up a sigma 70-300 f4-5.6 with a macro setting, on ebay (new). It was very cheep and seems to get the job done. While its not the fastest with the auto focus, it is slower then my 18-70 but not a huge amount. I have not had any problems with it, and for the price.... Camtea was the seller, seems he sells a bunch.

Is that the Sigma lens? I have been looking at the Sigma and it looks to be good valure and reasonably sharp over most of the range.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

sorry the lens is, Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DL Macro super II AF lens, came with another smaller lense and it was $189 for the set.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post