Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Macros: Close up filters vs Extension tubes?

Hey Adrian... in fact they did. I had a quick play, but was a little disappointed.

They fit perfectly and do the job, but with the lenses that I have (Nikon 18-55 and 55-200), there is no manual aperture ring. When I take the lens off, I notice that there's a little spring loaded lever which controls the aperture, but the default position is stopped down fully (is that the right term? I can't remember) i.e. the smallest pinhole aperture. Well at least I'll have max depth of field. Big Grin

I tried the take-the-lens-off-midway-through-long-exposure-trick you suggested, but as soon as the lens comes off, the aperture closes up. Doh! So it looks that I'll be needing bucketloads of light to do any macro shots. Either that, or I'll probably have to get a cheap old lens with a manual aperture ring off ebay. Or a 60mm Nikkor micro. Or maybe a 90mm Tamron SP. Big Grin

Having said that, I've only had the chance to play with it at night, hence not enough light... But I will try it on the weekend or something...

Messages In This Thread
Macros: Close up filters vs Extension tubes? - by shuttertalk - Dec 20, 2005, 16:49

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by WesternGuy
Nov 27, 2014, 11:14