Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Gritty Portrait Experiment (aka "The Coalminer" look)

wulinka Wrote:the only thing I find slightly distracting is the quite heavy reflection on your right (wait - that's your left) eye, and just under the other one (left? right?? whatever :-)) at first glance I thought it was flash light reflection, but must have been the window you mentioned.

Thanks Uli Smile
You make a good point about the reflections. The large one in the brighter eye (the right eye from the viewer's point of view) I quite like, but I agree that the reflection under the left hand side eye (the darker eye) doesn't look good.
I wanted a little light to fall on the dark side of the face so it doesn't look like that eye is just suspended in space, and the highlight being there also provides a nice dark outline to that eye to match the other eye and shows some eyelash detail, but the shape and size annoyed me, and it seems you noticed it too.

So I modified that highlight to give it a more suitable shape and blending, but left the brighter eye alone. I also re-did my blemish-removal layers to retain a bit more detail and texture in the skin. And finally I put it back to its original b/w to give it a more classic look.

And here's the result:

[Image: IMG_0861_Mono_440.jpg]

ps: Yeah, I'm loving this lens! I still need lots more practice to get the most out of it I think, but I walk around looking at everything and asking myself "What would that look like at 135mm?" and "What would that look like at f/2?" Big Grin

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Messages In This Thread
Gritty Portrait Experiment (aka "The Coalminer" look) - by Kombisaurus - Jan 1, 2006, 04:20

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Korry
Nov 19, 2013, 09:04