Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Konica-Minolta GONE!

Peted Wrote:Have you seen the "new" Samsung camera, a rebadged DS2 no less, it may be interesting to see if the new "Samsung" lenses will be compatible with the "old" Pentax cameras. Will also be interesting to see if Pentax/Samsung bring out something approaching the Nikon D200 spec, I just might be interested in a few years.
Hi Pete,

This is exactly why I (and quite a few others) are worried. The "new" Samsung lenses are rebadged Pentaxes and the Samsung DSLRs will have the K mount. That's just what happened with K-M/Sony.....Now it seems Sony have the K-M mount and K-M have ceased to exist.

My concern is that the same will happen here. Pentax aren't doing well financially from the camera market. Samsung want to get in on it, but haven't the DSLR expertise so have agreed a collaboration with Pentax, but I can see Pentax being swallowed up just the way K-M were and a little way down the road there won't be any Pentax DSLRs in the APS-C sector - only Samsungs. If Pentax stay in the game at all it may well be only at the pro end of the market with the 645D. Don't forget that for many years prior to digital Pentax didn't have a pro level 35mm body. All their pro gear was 645 and 67. Even if they do bring something out along the lines of the Nikon D200 it won't be until at least next autumn - way too late to be profitable imho.

At present I have an *istD and while it's a great camera I'm concerned that there's still no upgrade available to me and that if my camera were to break down tomorrow there isn't even an equivalent replacement for it. If the future of K mount is going to be Samsung then I'd rather go now as I don't expect them to produce a higher end body...they're known for selling in huge volumes to the masses.

The biggest issue (for me) has been Pentax's refusal to speak at all about future plans for bodies. With the Samsung deal I'd be concerned even if a good upgrade was announced because until 2 days ago K-M users thought they'd be getting an upgraded body and had no idea the brand would disappear and be relabelled Sony!

I'm going to wait 'til PMA and if there's no firm news by then I'll probably sell the lot and buy Canon - I need to know there's a long-term future for my lenses and with Pentax that's been far from certain for far too long!

Jan

Messages In This Thread
Konica-Minolta GONE! - by noisynoodle - Jan 19, 2006, 05:01
Konica-Minolta GONE! - by matthew - Jan 19, 2006, 06:12
Konica-Minolta GONE! - by shuttertalk - Jan 19, 2006, 21:27
Konica-Minolta GONE! - by noisynoodle - Jan 20, 2006, 05:21
Konica-Minolta GONE! - by shuttertalk - Jan 20, 2006, 05:39
Konica-Minolta GONE! - by adam - Jan 20, 2006, 09:31
Konica-Minolta GONE! - by noisynoodle - Jan 20, 2006, 09:40
Konica-Minolta GONE! - by Peted - Jan 20, 2006, 15:18
Konica-Minolta GONE! - by noisynoodle - Jan 20, 2006, 17:51
Konica-Minolta GONE! - by adam - Jan 20, 2006, 18:25