Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

So wheres the mac section ? .-)

I recently switched to mac (januari this year)

And thus far im more then happy with the switch, still have my pc (well the wife to be more precise lol)

So any recent switcher or hardcore mac users around here ?

whats your experience ?

/Paul L.

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

I was very tempted when the mac mini came out... but it was more a want rather than a need, by a long shot. Big Grin

I've always been a Mac user, but my Editor-in-Residence bought a new PC just last night. So, I have a choice between an eighteen-month-old iBook G4 1.2Gh with a 12" screen, or a brand new Pentium M 1.7Gh with a 15.4" screen.

That's hardly even a decision. Macintosh it is.

Sometimes I'll take a bit of abuse for my choice of hardware, but it's no big deal (I have more practice than my adversaries, after all Big Grin). It's similar to choosing the "wrong" camera brand.

I'm considering buying OS 10.4.x just so that I can use Adobe's Lightroom beta. (Now that the EiR has her own computer, I don't worry so much about running beta software.) It looks very impressive; it may be the reason I upgrade to a new Intel Mac in six-twelve months or so. After all, that's the platform it's been designed for....

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

hi

i was a mac user...almost all my life with a mac...

i started with the classic model, yes the box all in one.

then the photo dept upgraded to the imac and before i left the G4/5.

i just can not believe that the classic still going they used them for input typing.

i would love to move to the new macbook

maybe next year...

Mac user for the last 18 years. Work on PC's from time to time. Currently have 4 Macs at home (was 5 until my PowerBook got stolen).

Happy to help with any questions you may have. Glad to hear you made the switch Wink

Cheers,

Chris

Canon stuff.

Snap! I'm a new switcharoo too! I got my mac in feb this year. Its a G8. Sorry, husband bought it and I don't know any more than that. It has a biggish LCD, does that help? LOL
Although, I've had an old ibook laptop for sometime now, but rarely use it.
i'm liking it, now that its set up how i want it.

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

Cool a few fellow mac users, The main diffrence for me is the simplicity with mac.I just love osx. I got the mac soley for my photography and thus far my quad 2.5 ghz exceeded my expectations. Also got the 30" Apple cinema display, but returned it after testing 4 brand new units. To much color shifts and uneven backlight problems for my taste. Color accuracy isnt even near my 20" vewisonic. I will wait for Eizos 24" color edge monitor to be available here in sweden.

I mainly use Adobes Lightroom B2, and photoshop cs2. Tried aperture but i cant say i found the output quality of the raw files to be comparable with acr or nc.

I dropped Nikon capture totally after converting to mac, since its dog slow on mac. Lets hope Capture NX is native on mac.

Anyone else using lightroom ? or aperture ?

/Paul L.

I want to try mac.
I read good things about it :O

You should Adam, they are a joy to work with, this from a guy thats been building pc boxes since 6th grade. Big Grin

/Paul L.

Paul.R.Lindqvist Wrote:... thus far my quad 2.5 ghz exceeded my expectations.
Oh my.

On the bright side, my 12" 1.2Gh G4 has exceeded my expectations, too. Before that, I had a 233MHz desktop - overclocked to 300MHZ in a fit of perversity -- and a Mac Classic before that.

I'm really, really thinking about putting down $150 for Tiger just so that I can use the Lightroom beta. Is it as good as it's said to be? (I'd rather pay for the OS upgrade and know that Lightroom won't run acceptably on my old machine than spend $XYZ on lightroom to learn the same thing.)

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

I tried apeture too, but like you I canned it. it just wasn't intuitive enough and was running way too slow on my machine.

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

I'm to find a new laptop as my sister wants mine Tongue

The 12" powerbooks look nice (I'm currently doing all my things on a 12" Acer laptop), so I'm considering this if I want a mac Smile haha any speculations about new ones coming out? Perhaps the one with the intel chip inside? hehe.

What are the advantages of MAC over PC? :O Would it be faster? one of the main things I read about is that it's all colour-managed?

Matt - I like Lightroom. But it is still a work in progress. Tiger has some great features and well worth the upgrade.

Paul - I am seriously thinking of upgrading my G4 PowerMac for a dual or a quad. Do you reckon the quad is really worth the extra for photo work?

Cheers,

Chris

Canon stuff.

hi

adam: just remember that i buy a mac you will need new software, does not work pc software on a mac. yes i think they ran faster, there are a lot of comments and reviews on the web just look around. there are a lot of reviews on the new macbook they have a double intel chip in it. they also say that there are less virus for macs, and i have never heard anyone saying "i lost all my data" from a mac user.

persoanly i likie macs becuase they are stable, (my old powerbook from work never crash) was very light, and it looks good. i used a powerbook 12 inch 1g of ram 60g hard drive.

take care

Hi Chris, well i got the quad and stuffed it with 8gb of ram, my current pc system is P4 3.0 ghz 2gb of ram. So getting the quad made cs2 fly and my d2x raw files is very fast and snappy to work with. I would say the quad is worth it if you have alot of applications open at the same time. Also if you large raw (5d wich i understand you have) it certainly helps with alot of ram.

/Paul L.

8GB OF RAMBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin!!!!
Oh! Things must be SO WONDERFUL :o:o:o:o:o!!!!

hi

woowww 8G now is that 2g chip in each slot? is that the limit? or can you get more?

I think the quad can go to at least 16GB RAM Tongue

Canon stuff.

really?? 16!!! woooww

but them it will cost you more to buy the ram than the mac?

i have been searching if apple will produce an 12 inch macbook, but there is no info.

hi

this memory topic...
how much ram is enough? i got this from the brochure from the macbook

[Image: macmemory.jpg]

[Image: macmemory_2.jpg]

now it has only two slots to fit the ram, so how can it support up to 10g??

I can't find anything in that description saying that it *can* fit in 10gb of ram Smile

is it not???? or is that something else?
i also can not find where it say i can fit 16g of ram?

[Image: 35_macmemory.jpg]

nah ram isnt that expensive, i can assure you that a quad cost alot more Wink yes the quad supports up 16b of ram.

/Paul L.

byrt_001 Wrote:is it not???? or is that something else?

http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/images...memory.jpg
That's GBps, not GB - different right?

adam Wrote:
byrt_001 Wrote:is it not???? or is that something else?

http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/images...memory.jpg
That's GBps, not GB - different right?
Yah, that GBps is talking about data transfer rate (gigs per second), not physical memory...