Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Public vs. Catholic/Christian School

Whew! Thanks for these additional answers. Obviously there is much to think about, and we have considered many more factors than what I've indicated above.

When we first moved into our new neighborhood, we were surprised to find that NOT ONE of the local children who are my daughter's age were going to go to the local public school, which is very conveniently located right down the street. We thought that was odd, considering that the school is part of a county curriculum ranked among the tops in the US. How can it be so bad? Are these just snobby private-school parents who don't want their kids associating with public school riff-raff? So we thought ...

We really didn't learn the "truth" until two weeks ago, when the school disclosed that it did not meet certain national standards. (The disclosure was mandatory, but frustrating that it came so close to the start of the new school year!) The reasons behind the failure are numerous (I'd say "legion" but that has other implications...), having as much to do with school-board politics as anything else.

Our concern is that the school has gotten itself into a hole and won't be able to get out. (One of the great rules of holes is that when you find yourself in one, you should stop digging!) As such, the teachers have been stretched beyond their means, and the childrens' educations are suffering.

After reading the above comments and articles, especially zedlav's experience, I am more convinced that we made the right decision. As shuttertalk points out, some public schools rank very well compared to private schools, but on average the performance of the private / Catholic schools is more consistently strong. And as zedlav properly points out, so much depends on the student and parents - and we will certainly give her all the support we can - but at the same time we don't want to feel that our efforts are being undermined by the lack of support at the school.

Thanks all for your most helpful insights!

Messages In This Thread
Public vs. Catholic/Christian School - by Rufus - Aug 25, 2004, 10:37
Public vs. Catholic/Christian School - by Rufus - Aug 25, 2004, 10:59
Public vs. Catholic/Christian School - by zedlav - Aug 26, 2004, 00:25
Public vs. Catholic/Christian School - by slejhamer - Aug 26, 2004, 08:24

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Irma
May 2, 2007, 01:21
Last Post by Petographer
Oct 4, 2005, 19:52