Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A peculiar design

Zig you know I'm a big fan of your work, so I hope you take this post the way I intend it... (ie in a positive way, trying to help, and it's just my opinion) :/
I know you put a lot of time into this and it kills me to pick it to pieces, but you asked for an honest opinion so I'm going to give you one!

I really like the photo of yourself and the tree that you chose to use here, but unfortunately I'm not really wowed by the way you've put it together.
Uli's suggestion about removing clutter is an excellent one IMHO, but I'd go even further than that.

I think the photo of you is great, but the dreamy/glowy/blurry effect you've used in it looks a little too photoshopped for my liking.
The photoshopped frames you've used also look photoshopped, and the colour of the "wood" doesn't help either. It takes my attention away from the lovely b/w images and directs it towards the fairly mundane frames.
While it's fine to use a high-key photo of yourself, placing the whole thing against a white background tends to make the photo fall a bit flat instead of jumping out at the viewer IMHO.
Also the photoshopped 3D effects aren't convincing without shadows, and the fact you've used a drop shadow on your name kind of makes that inconsistency more obvious.

The "matt board" space you've allowed between the tree photo and its frame looks really good. If you also gave the photo of yourself a similar treatment then it would really give it some breathing space.
Actually, looking back at your original post I can see that large framed image in the background that looks very interesting. Can we see what that looks like by itself?

I've had a bit of a play with the portrait of yourself to try to illustrate some of what I'm talking about. I'm not completely happy with my example, but hopefully you can see where I'm coming from. It is an attempt to put the emphasis on the the artist, which is where it should be. I couldn't play with the tree photo due to it being too low-res in the sample you posted above. This is just something to get the creative juices flowing...

[Image: Zig.jpg]

The trouble with photoshop is that it has too many cool little effects and tricks... it's sometimes hard to leave them alone.
This is all just my opinion. Feel free to disagree with me and tell me I don't know what I'm on about. I'm certainly no world authority when it comes to graphic design. Tongue

Oh, and I hope the music sales go well! Big Grin

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Messages In This Thread
A peculiar design - by Zig - May 5, 2008, 21:31
RE: A peculiar design - by laurawilliam - Jun 29, 2019, 03:47
RE: A peculiar design - by Barbara G. - Jun 29, 2019, 09:00
RE: A peculiar design - by jogesh12345 - Jul 1, 2019, 01:09
RE: A peculiar design - by MichaeROlivieri - Jan 15, 2020, 12:50
A peculiar design - by Toad - May 5, 2008, 23:49
A peculiar design - by Irma - May 6, 2008, 06:00
A peculiar design - by wulinka - May 6, 2008, 09:30
A peculiar design - by Zig - May 6, 2008, 11:10
A peculiar design - by Zig - May 6, 2008, 11:12
A peculiar design - by Zig - May 6, 2008, 11:13