Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Replaced three lens with one lens

I have been trialling a second hand copy of the Canon 17mm 4 Tilt Shift lens and am very impressed with it. So much so that I have decided that it can replace my 14mm 2.8, 16-35 2.8 version 2 and my 24 3.5 Tilt Shift.

It is manual focus only but is so sharp it is worth the trade off. I tend to find the 14mm too wide most of the time, the 24 Tilt Shift has only been used three times in four years and the 16-35 while being very useful and a great workhorse is mainly used at the 16-20 end which the 17 T/S will cover nicely and with incredible sharpness and added versatility.

Very happy.

Canon stuff.

Sounds like a good simplification of your kit. What are you planning to do with your old gear? That's always the problem when I do something like that.

I traded the 24 tilt shift for the 17 with some cash and will sell the other gear in the local free paper or sell it to my local camera shop at a reduced margin if it doesn't move in the paper. I am having second thoughts about selling the 16-35 though - think I might need a wide angle auto focus lens for some of the faster pace wedding stuff.

Canon stuff.

Wedding Shooter Wrote:I am having second thoughts about selling the 16-35 though - think I might need a wide angle auto focus lens for some of the faster pace wedding stuff.
As a guy shooting exclusively manual focus these days. I concur. Its fun to shoot MF, but its a whole different ball game when you are trying to make your living with the results of those quick captures...

Hi Chris,

That 17mm TSE lens sounds fantastic, but like Toad I was a bit surprised to hear you talk about giving up your 16-35. I'm happy to embrace MF as much as anyone and it would be great when you're not pressed for time, but when you're in the thick of things during a ceremony I don't think I could give up the speed of a good AF lens.

ps: Did you end up getting in touch with Betina about this year's parade?

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

One lens that you will actually use vs three that sit in a bag all the time sounds like a good idea to me Chris... well done. Big Grin

I also replaced 3 lenses with 1!
Sold my 35L, 85L, 135L (also sold my 12-24 and 50), and just using 35 f/2 now Smile

adam Wrote:I also replaced 3 lenses with 1!
Sold my 35L, 85L, 135L (also sold my 12-24 and 50), and just using 35 f/2 now Smile
I always admire people that can streamline their photo rig. This is pretty extreme though, Adam. Let us know how it works for you.

Good for you my man! When I was shortlisting wides, I knew the 16-35 Mk2 would have to go for the chop. The 17mm TSE was in there but the Zeiss' f2.8 swung it, that extra bit of light (and the cost) being the decider. I found that AF concerns melted away as depth of field and close focus distance ameliorated...the oddest thing was that I missed the 16-35 not one jot, picking up not just resolving power but actually being able to use corners and edges again.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

I am definitely going to keep the 16-35 for wide shots of the couple walking etc, when I really need autofocus. But most of the time it will stay in the bag.

I am really impressed with the 17 T/S.

Adrian - I have quoted for Betina - am waiting to hear back from her. On a side note I have been offered the contract to shoot Santa photos in two shopping centres. Anyone looking for some work in December let me know - easy work, all equipment supplied and good pay.

Adam - that is totally extreme - especially giving up the 35L for the 35 2 - I love my 35L.

Zig - my 16-35 is not too bad. But I have been looking for something better for some time now.

Canon stuff.

WS, that sounds like a great lens shift, if you'll pardon the pun. The 17TS-E is a very special lens, and I can imagine you putting it to good use. I admire your simplification, and it's a bold choice.

Adam, I'm sorry for your loss. :/

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by maisie
Oct 6, 2018, 04:55