Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Help---need to buy a new digital camera !

Hi, I am new to this forum, and need advise from any point and shoot camera fans. I was given a camera for my birthday----sent it back. I bought another camera-----posted on a forum that gave it poor reviews-----took it back. I own a very old Kodak Easy Share, but want a simple point and shoot with an LSD NIMH kind of battery. I will only use this camera for family photos and outside shots. I heard 8-10 megapixel is good, and that I should look for good optical zoom that also has good image stabilization, good for low-light situations, optical viewfinder, and one that is easy to carry. If these tips are correct, where do I start ? I do not know if names are allowed on this forum, but I sure could use some help on finding the best camera for a novice who just wants something not too complicated .

Thanks so much,
ladybug3

HI Ladybug3 - no problem to name brands etc. Could you give us a budget you are trying to stay within?

Canon stuff.

There are dozens of point and shoot cameras that will take excellent snapshots. These days the number of megapixels is irrelevant (too many can actually be a problem, but I won't go into that now). The one difficulty that you will discover is trying to find a p&s camera with an optical viewfinder. I have 2 otherwise wonderful p&s cameras without optical viewfinders and often find it difficult to see the LCD displays outdoors on a sunny day. So, persist in your quest.

An excellent camera with an optical viewfinder is the Canon G11 or G12. It's not cheap, but has an superb reputation and has many advanced features that you will appreciate as your photographic efforts grow. Check out the many reviews on the internet.

Regards.....Dennis

Hi,
Thank you so much for the two posts I received! My thanks to Dennis for all the helpfull information. The cameras you named sounded great, but probably way over my budget. I do appreciate all the information, and it will help in my quest for a good point and shoot.

My thanks to Canon Stuff! My birthday money came to about $ 130.00. Do you think there is anything out there you would recommend for my use of a point and shoot in that price range?

Thanks, ladybug3

HI,

In my first post, I described a kind of battery I wanted in my new digital camera---now I am wondering if I have described the battery correctly? I want the battery pack that charges by plugging into the socket, then slips into the camera. I am not sure that LSD NIMH is the correct term for the kind of battery charger I want. Can someone tell me if my description and name of battery is correct? I definitely want to try a digital camera with that type of battery.
Thanks, ladybug3

NIMH battery is correct.

PANASONIC LUMIX DMC-FZ18 Black or /silver .... 18 x zoom, good photo's, EVF or LCD screen, manual or auto and scene settings fits in a case of about 140x140x150. Nimh Battery charger and battery included, but you will need an SD card (small extra cost.) Lightweight . and in your budget price. Lens is Zeiss.

My wife now, has the camera I bought (FZ5) an earlier model (of the FZ18) but the same size. I now have a Canon 350D/Rebel.

A sample shot of a church, on Anglesey (an island off Wales) UK taken with the FZ5. This is shrunk for the web to 640 x 480 px but the original (from the camera) is 3456 x 2592 px
[Image: P1000186%20Anglesey%20Church.jpg]

The eye viewfinder can be changed to the LCD screen with a button on the rear of the camera All settings etc can be seen on either.
Try one in a shop first, and don't be afraid to press any buttons. It can be reset very easily. Wink

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

ladybug3 Wrote:I will only use this camera for family photos and outside shots. I heard 8-10 megapixel is good, and that I should look for good optical zoom that also has good image stabilization, good for low-light situations, optical viewfinder, and one that is easy to carry.
There's nothing that I can see that meets all of your requirements - the optical viewfinder is particularly difficult to find, and a good one will be virtually impossible. If you can find one, a Canon SD1200 is about the last one to have that feature; the SD1100 would also be a good choice. More recent cameras to look at would be the Panasonic FP1 or FH3, and the Casio Z550. The main reason why I'm picking out these models is that they have real image stabilization, either optical (panasonic) or sensor-shift (casio). In the $100-150 price range that's the feature to watch out for. Cameras that they they have 'electronic' or 'pixel tracking' aren't nearly the same thing, and if they don't say what technique they use, then it isn't one of the good methods.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

HI,
Thanks to Elland and Matthew for their advise. I am taking all comments into consideration, and need some advise on the Panasonic FH20. I know the FZ18 was mentioned, the FP1, or FH3. I am also looking into the Casio that was mentioned. I was surfing, and found a site that stated the Panasonic FH20 got "Camera Of The Year". I value all comments on Shuttertalk, and would love to hear what you think of the camera that received this award. This might be something for me to consider. What do you think???

ladybug3

Ladybug3, Matthew has encyclopedic knowledge of cameras driven by his interest as well as by his working in a major photo store in Toronto, that has been tested by fire (an in joke ofr torontonians). I never buy any photo equipment without consulting Matthew (and my collection is growing). A great review source is DPreview (you can google them). They compare mostly fancy cameras, but they also review point and shoots side to side. This is a very good site that most photographers pay attention. I would do my own research there and in partuicular look for the back to back reviews of the point and shoots. They classify them into groups and then review groups at a time. For a hobbyist photographer, your budget is a bit tight. I would consider looking for used Canon G9 to G11 cameras. They are very similar and if you can snag any of them withing your budget, you would do really great. Those are cameras that pack a lot of stuff in a relatively small (by fancy camera standard, not by point and shoot standard) and relatively inexpensive package.

Take care.

Pavel

Please see my photos at http://mullerpavel.smugmug.com (fewer, better image quality, not updated lately)
or at http://www.flickr.com/photos/pavel_photophile2008/ (all photos)

A quick 3 pennyworth. I have just lost a pansonic TZ5 a pocket size P&S. But like a lot on the market it has no eye viewfinder.
On the beach in Fuerteventura, most days I just had to point in the general direction of the subject and hope, because in strong sunlight you can not see anything through the LCD screen. (it becomes almost a mirror)
Also you cannot see what you have take either until you get inside a building. Be warned.
Inside or in the UK when overcast everything is fine. Hot summer days are a gamble.

I have not yet decided upon a replacement.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

ladybug3, the FH20 is quite a nice camera, and was very popular when it was in my local camera store. B&H still has it listed in stock, where its price is about right. It has a very useful lens range, and is a nice camera.

Pavel:
[Image: 1145709386_DEHz8-M.jpg]

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Hi,

I want to thank Matthew and Elland for their important information. I was all set to choose the Panasonic, FH3, but if I am correct, it has no viewfinder. I am used to a viewfinder on my old Kodak, but Elland's comment convinced me that a viewfinder is a must-have for me. I am serious about Matthew's suggestions, and now might consider the FH20. I will continue in my search, but I feel---thanks to all of your great comments----that I am getting closer to finding the right digital camera for me..

Thanks so much!
ladybug3

So nice to have a newbie to the forum who is genuine...

Thank you toad, for the kind words!

ladybug3

HI, I have now decided that a viewfinder on my new point and shoot is not that important . I am rather concerned about the comment from Elland about the L.C.D. screen while taking pictures in the sun. I think I saw something about an anti-glare feature on some cameras in reference to the L.C.D. screen------is this correct, and should I look for a point and shoot with that feature? I am still doing research on the: Casio 2550, Panasonic FH1, FH3, and the FH20. I do not know if any of these have that anti-glare feature. I hate to be a bother, but any and all comments are very important to me.
Thanks, ladybug3

I have tried several "antiglare" devices on my cameras. In my personal experience, none of them worked with partial exception of Hoodman Loop http://www.hoodmanusa.com/products.asp?dept=1017 . I use this loop from time to time, but it is awkward and a bit bulky. Hoodman now sells also a way to strap the loop to the camera. I did not try that. In Canada where I live, spring to autumn days are often bright and without the loop I can see only the menu display on my LCD, but on most (bright) days I see only ghosts on my LCD and I can not use LCD to compose photos, to use it to focus or to check the photo I have taken. I can do that with the loop placed against the LCD. The LCDs are improving and the newer ones are a bit brighter and more usable than mine. Mine is about 3 years old. Frankly, I am surprised that you concluded that a viewfinder is not important to you. For photographers, composition is extremely important as is knowing what is and is not going to be sharp. If your LCD does not provide you with this information clearly enough and if you do not have a viewfinder, are you going to be happy with your resulting photos?

Please see my photos at http://mullerpavel.smugmug.com (fewer, better image quality, not updated lately)

Pavel Wrote:For photographers, composition is extremely important as is knowing what is and is not going to be sharp. If your LCD does not provide you with this information clearly enough and if you do not have a viewfinder, are you going to be happy with your resulting photos?
Pavel... Smile
I understand your point about the view finder, but Ladybug is not a photographer... yet... Smile LB just want to have a camera for family photos... For this kind of photography she doesn't need a view finder, IMHO. I have had two P&S cameras and both with view finder and LCD. In both cameras I never used the VF.

Ladybug...
I have been reading your post and all great comments and advice you have got here.... I am very happy that you have found help here to decide which camera will be the one you will buy. Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

LB3, I can understand what you're thinking with the viewfinder. They're a nice idea, but there are almost no compact cameras that have them; to be honest most of them were pretty dreadful anyway. When you move up to SLRs the viewfinders make a huge difference, and most of my favourite cameras don't even have LCDs. Big Grin

I've seen some cameras with a "Power LCD" setting (or similar), which does a remarkably good job of compensating for using the LCD at a high angle, like when the camera's held up overhead. But ultimately an LCD is a light source, so when it's competing against a much brighter light it's going to get washed out. An anti-glare screen might help if you're getting a reflection, but there's only so much difference it can make.

Ladybug3
My camera's, before my first digital ones always had an eye-viewfinder.
My first digital was a tiny Fuji f420 (obsolete) with an EVF and a LCD viewfinder, my 4th was the panasonic without an evf, that one I lost and I don't really miss it. Only it's lack of weight. I still miss the Fuji.
In between I had a FZ5 and then a Canon 350D

Now as Irma rightly says if you just want family stuff then it will not matter as much, but as you improve then it will and then you will miss it and have to replace it (at a cost) .

Watch the guys and gals around the town holding their P&S's at arms length.
Firstly it does not improve your stability or the cameras even though they have image stabilizing built in.
You can't hold a P&S against your cheek to steady the shot.

Ok you will get a picture, but don't expect the same quality as you see on this forum.

But whichever brand get one that you feel happy with and the right colour, or you won't want to use it as much. Wink

A lot of technical stuff is written about megapixels and processors. Most cameras today will take a good photo and anything from 3MP up, will give you good photos. If you want enlargements then more MPs is better depending on how big you want them. And it will make them clearer on your pc/laptop screen provided they are sharp to start with.

Lumix LX5.

Hi ,
I am so glad to see all the nice replies from Pavel, Irma and Elland---hope I did not forget anyone. The only reason I thought about not looking for a point and shoot without a viewfinder is---as Irma stated----they seem to be on the way out. I too can not remember when I used my viewfinder on my Kodak Eady Share. I will take a closer look to see if the cameras mentioned have viewfinders. I do want to stay up-to-date, but at the same time, do not want to give up something important. I am just a casual photo-taker, but am still wondering about a simple point and shoot in my price range that will not give me trouble with glare on the L,C. D. screen. Someone suggested a Sony TX1----that may be too expensive, but I would like your thoughts on that camera. Thanks again for the replies, and all suggestions are welcome!

Thanks, ladybug3

Hi,
I need any advise on: Fujifilm Fine Pix F70 EXR digital camera. I was surfing, and may have found this camera to be what I need. I do need your thoughts on this camera, if you do not mind.

Thanks, ladybug3

Irma Wrote:I have had two P&S cameras and both with view finder and LCD. In both cameras I never used the VF.
Rather like a lockable boot on a car, where you can hide your valuables, Irma. Until you need it you don't miss it. Wink

But in this case you are probably right. She may never need it. :/

Lumix LX5.

Hi, I have been doing some more research---as suggested. I have decided some of the cameras I do not want, and am still looking for a good point and shoot for my beginner status with good L.C.D. screen that will give me good images in bright sunlight, good image stabilization, good red eye reduction, 8-10 megapixels, good optical zoom, lense made with optical quality glass, and simple to use. I know that is asking a lot, but what can you give me for advise ??? I have found out a few things that some camera sites list that bother me: I did not like the "Before and after sale terms by Canon, and was informed by a member of a post, that a certain Panasonic does not come with a users manual. I also do not want anothe Kodak, and have read bad reviews on Nikon's. I do want teck. support, and a good warranty. Is this too much to expect from a point and shoot??? I have extended my budget----I learned to up-grade in price for a better camera. I do not mind a $ 200.00 or so, price range. Do not mean to be a bother, but my first grand-child will be born in May. Oh, I forgot to mention good quality in low light situations. I defer to all the experts that were kind with their replies in the past. Thanks, ladybug3

Do not know of a camera that would meet your requirements. Manuals are usually downloadable and searchable in electronic form. I prefer them to paper. For me no manual is generally not much of a problem, although I can imagine situations when a paper copy would come in handy. I would not have that as a major decision -making point. Support quality is not great from any company for any electronics I know of. Again, not much to choose, I think. I do not beleive that there is a camera at your price range that meets your requirements. Low noise cameras have larger sensors (at least 4/3 or APS-C) and such point and shoots cost more than $ 200. For this price, you pretty much must expect a fairly poor performance in low light situations. The other expectations just make the choice even less possible. My ten cents.

Pavel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by mooremob
Jun 16, 2015, 01:29