Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Photoshop deblurring - sneak peek of new algorithm

This is a pretty mindblowing video of a session at Adobe MAX (which is an annual promotional conference) showing a sneak peek of a new plugin which removes motion blur from photos caused by camera shake or movement.

Especially during longer exposures, if the camera or lens moves while the shutter is open, the resulting image can exhibit smearing or blur. This new plugin uses a unique algorithm which attempts to analyse the image and determine the camera's motion or trajectory during the period which the shutter was open, and then applies a correction based upon the analysis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxjiQoTp8...r_embedded

The projected screen is a bit small to see the full results, but based on the cheers of the audience, it must be pretty impressive. Here's hoping that it is actually real, and that it makes it out to us soon! Big Grin

Was just thinking, correcting in photoshop is cool, but they should actually add this into the camera itself - that would be very impressive indeed. You'd probably need some gyroscopes to measure movement (already used in some optical / sensor stabilisation arrangements) and some beefy image processors and camera shake would be thing of the past?

Couple that with optical lens stabilisation and sensor stabilisation and you'll never take a blurry photo again!

Interesting prototype. I will be watching to see when that makes it to product.

Isn't that kind of how image stabilization works now in-camera?

@ Robert, I believe the camera system is based on actual motion using gyro-like devices (similar to rockets, planes etc.) I believe the Photoshop is based on image analysis (strictly software - no reliance on momentum).

@Julian - as long as the camera allows this feature to be disabled - I love movement artifacts Big Grin

Please see my photos at http://mullerpavel.smugmug.com (fewer, better image quality, not updated lately)
or at http://www.flickr.com/photos/pavel_photophile2008/ (all photos)

shuttertalk Wrote:camera shake would be thing of the past?

Couple that with optical lens stabilisation and sensor stabilisation and you'll never take a blurry photo again!
And what happens when you require a blurry background (bockeh) ? Sad As Pavel says' if you can switch it off OK.'

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

I hope that they will not engineer ALL the challenges out of photography.

I just see a Panasonic XXX advertising:

"For the first time our camera will take the boredom and drudgery out of finding the subject matter to photograph and composing the photo. Just have fun with your family and friends and if something interesting happens during that time, Panasonic XXX will take a perfectly exposed and composed photo of it and when you get home, it automatically print a collection of 4"x5" for your approval"...

Please see my photos at http://mullerpavel.smugmug.com (fewer, better image quality, not updated lately)
or at http://www.flickr.com/photos/pavel_photophile2008/ (all photos)

Pavel Wrote:I hope that they will not engineer ALL the challenges out of photography.

I just see a Panasonic XXX advertising:

"For the first time our camera will take the boredom and drudgery out of finding the subject matter to photograph and composing the photo. Just have fun with your family and friends and if something interesting happens during that time, Panasonic XXX will take a perfectly exposed and composed photo of it and when you get home, it automatically print a collection of 4"x5" for your approval"...
...and the amazing Panasonic XXX will even automatically reject photos that you might want to take that it knows will be garbage....

Just a note too that this deals with motion or camera shake blur, which is different to if something is out of focus. Not sure whether it can differentiate between the two...

Toad Wrote:...and the amazing Panasonic XXX will even automatically reject photos that you might want to take that it knows will be garbage....
Someone nicked my last Panasonic XXX so someone has good taste. :/
That aside, it is in the lap of the gods as to who owns one.

Now this 'Panasonic' comes with a full complement of sherpas (as in bearers/porters Big Grin), and a free Manfrotto monopod.

[Image: sz.jpg]
It won't fit in my pocket though. Wink

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

In other news - it turns out that the presentation was largely smoke and mirrors, with Adobe admitting that "synthetic blur" was used on that image from the presentation. (i.e. it was made up to make the demo look good)

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1110/111018...rifies.asp

Quote:Adobe has admitted an image used in its 'image deblur' presentation was artificially blurred for the purposes of the demonstration. The company said the blur on the image was 'more complicated than anything we can simulate using Photoshop's blur capabilities.' It described the move as 'common practice in research' and defended the use of the image because 'we wanted it to be entertaining and relevant to the audience.' The other images shown were the result of camera shake, it said.

shuttertalk Wrote:In other news - it turns out that the presentation was largely smoke and mirrors, with Adobe admitting that "synthetic blur" was used on that image from the presentation. (i.e. it was made up to make the demo look good)
What? A sales demo stretching the truth?? Say it ain't so...

I'm being quietly wracked with vomitary spasms here.
Goodness, if people cannot take a blur-free pic with all the fast ISOs available, along with the knowledge they're supposed to have when taking a photograph, they shouldn't really do anything other than learn the basics. Stuff the "algorithms" and learn how to take a shot.

Also, part of photography is, as Pavel says, the challenge...you don't improve by getting a damn machine or piece of software to accept the challenge on your behalf. With film, that is a max of 36 exposures, you'd expect several/most to be dud shots where factors didn't combine in the way one hoped for. You'd get the occasional keeper, which made the resultant shot so much more personally valuable. Heck ,you can stick a million-gig card and rattle away like a chain-gun nowadays...if you still can't get a blur-free shot, take up Scrabble.
Absolute cobblers.

( Sorry, I'll try and speak my mind a bit next time instead of sitting on the fence... Big Grin )

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post