Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

new boy

Hi all, looking forward to catching up with some of you. the forum looks very friendly. I've been a keen Photographer off and on since I was a 15 year old. I'm now 64 and I'm not sure that my 49 years experience has made me take better pictures!! when I get organised I'll post a few and would appreciate the comments.

Gear;
Nikon D300
35 mm prime (my lens of choice)
28 115 zoom
70 300 zoom

Gerald

Hi Gerald

Welcome to the forum! I look forward to seeing your photography collection.
I always wanted to buy a 35mm prime lens for my Nikon but ended up having a 50mm prime and I totally agree it has to be your first choice lens ! Amazing quality and sharpness!

Happy clicking
Samy

Gerald,

Hello and welcome to the forums! Feel free to post when you are comfortable doing so! Looking forward to learning more about you!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Welcome to shuttertalk! The Nikon D300 is also my pro camera. Looking forward to see some photos you took! The forum is split into a critique and showcase, use them according to your needs.

(Apr 17, 2013, 13:21)samyshah Wrote:  Hi Gerald

Welcome to the forum! I look forward to seeing your photography collection.
I always wanted to buy a 35mm prime lens for my Nikon but ended up having a 50mm prime and I totally agree it has to be your first choice lens ! Amazing quality and sharpness!

Happy clicking
Samy

well, thank you all for the replies.

I'm just sorting out which photos to post! strangely enough, my photography has been in a virtual closet for years. My family are not so interested other than in family snaps. the upshot is, very few people see what I would consider my "better" shots. so, I'm quite nervous, but keen to hear other peoples comments.

attached is a picture of the Mosque in Abu Dabi.

Attached Files Image(s)

Wow - this is very interesting! Your set for the shot pulls the viewer into it - at least for me it does! I love the detail you can see on the columns as well! Love it! Don't be shy is sharing more with us! :0)

This is really nice, but why didn't you straighten it?

I do see the slant when I look at it this time...good eye vlad. I need to slow down and take a deeper look! :0)

Still, really love it though...

Yup, got the slant!! I never noticed that before Vlad, well spotted. Thanks for that. The shot was one that I was going to print and hang! but now I will straighten it first. worthwhile joining shuttertalk already.

this was taken from the viewing platform atop the Burj Kalifa, Dubai. Although the views are terrific from up there its not so easy to get a good angle on a shot. you have just a small slit of an opening between the glass, just enough to poke a lens through. I like this though, its just not a normal view, unless you live in Dubai of course!

Attached Files Image(s)

(Apr 22, 2013, 13:58)Gerald Wrote:  well, thank you all for the replies.

I'm just sorting out which photos to post! strangely enough, my photography has been in a virtual closet for years. My family are not so interested other than in family snaps. the upshot is, very few people see what I would consider my "better" shots. so, I'm quite nervous, but keen to hear other peoples comments.

attached is a picture of the Mosque in Abu Dabi.

Hello and welcome to shuttertalk Gerald. Wow this is one amazing shot. Same comment with the other, need to straighten the photo and I guess you need to clone the half body of the person on the left side of the image to remove it as distraction. "just an opinion" Smile

While we're at it, maybe you'd also like to make the Mosque photo a bit brighter. The camera's auto exposure program doesn't do a great job identifying white surfaces, and it renders them as gray. The Dubai photo is great!

(Apr 27, 2013, 05:49)vlad Wrote:  While we're at it, maybe you'd also like to make the Mosque photo a bit brighter. The camera's auto exposure program doesn't do a great job identifying white surfaces, and it renders them as gray. The Dubai photo is great!

MMmm, haven't used auto exposure for many years now. Prefer to set my own parameters. I take your point tho' however the floor is of marble and the pillars of a stone of middle eastern origin of which I cannot remember the name. non of it is pure white!