Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hello from an absolute beginner!

As the title says, i have just bought a Nikon d3100, not even got my hands on it yet.
Just reading the on-line manual, and wonder what the hell i've done.
Bit of a step up from my Olympus U700 compact, but I like a challenge!
Expect a lot of newbie questions soon.

Cheers,

Steve (In sunny Northamptonshire, UK)

Hello and Welcome to shuttertalk SteveF. That is the best thing and recommended is to read your manual. Smile Get to know your gear (which is my mistake along time ago) Smile

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

Hi Steve. What made you choose the D3100 rather than stay with Olympus? What is the rest of the kit?

Hi Dean
The Olympus is a compact, great for holiday snaps etc. But we are moving onto a narrowboat, and the opportunity to take good photo's of wildlife etc. is the driving factor. And i need another hobby (Don't tell the wife!)

Steve

Olympus do a nice DSLR. Narrowboat sounds good. I lived at Braunston in the 80/90s. You’ll be wanting a long lens for wildlife. What have you in mind.

The one i decided on is second hand, 2000 operations and comes with 18-55 and 55-300mm lens.
Just got to learn how to uise them now!

Steve - hello and welcome to the site! It is pleasure to meet you and have you as a member! Make yourself at home here!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Thanks for the welcome!

(Aug 27, 2013, 02:59)Steve F Wrote:  The one i decided on is second hand, 2000 operations and comes with 18-55 and 55-300mm lens.
Just got to learn how to uise them now!
The 2 lenses gives you plenty of scope.

Hi Steve, im a newby as well, i also have a d3100 and its absolutely brilliant, with in the first week i braved it and put it into manual. if i get stuck or (in my case cant remember) lol i switch to guide and follow the instructionsSmile its simples....
i got the 17-55mm and sigma 70-200mm lens with macro lens kit. since i have bought some more lenses etc but found those as a starter were fab. i live in Market Harborough which is near to Foxton locks, amazing for narrow boats, if i remember it has 10+ locks i will post a pic, Smile

Was at Foxton locks Yesterday! That was one of the reasons I took the plunge. Just been playing with my new toy. It has the 18-55, a 55-300, a wide angle thingy with a "macro" Just need to find out what the "macro" is/ does. (along with every thing else)
I am in Burton Latimer, so we could meet and give each other the benefit of our experience. In my case, that's about 16 seconds worthBlush

r brilliant, i have just posted a pic for you. "10 locks on a cloudy day" your not to far at all. would be good to meet up and talk happy snaps macro is awesome its for close ups of plants bugs jewelry etc. i wondered how it would work on the end of a 300mm but it does, i also bought some other macro lens. just realised i have a typo my sigma is a 300mm not 200mm (see complete newby mistake lol

(Aug 26, 2013, 16:05)Steve F Wrote:  As the title says, i have just bought a Nikon d3100, not even got my hands on it yet.
Just reading the on-line manual, and wonder what the hell i've done.
Bit of a step up from my Olympus U700 compact, but I like a challenge!
Expect a lot of newbie questions soon.

Cheers,

Steve (In sunny Northamptonshire, UK)

Welcome Steve I've just purchased d3100 and what a great camera
I have the Sony a200 as well. Keep going mate

(Aug 27, 2013, 15:45)Steve F Wrote:  Was at Foxton locks Yesterday! That was one of the reasons I took the plunge. Just been playing with my new toy. It has the 18-55, a 55-300, a wide angle thingy with a "macro" Just need to find out what the "macro" is/ does. (along with every thing else)
I am in Burton Latimer, so we could meet and give each other the benefit of our experience. In my case, that's about 16 seconds worthBlush

'Macro' means close focusing, so that the image can come out the same size as the object itself. Macro lenses can be more versatile than they 'normal' cousins. And usually a LOT more money.

Welcome!

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post