Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Practicing Digital Photography: Flowers

Almost. Ed.

An edit to the above, just seen it. I did it on Tablet, in bed, last night, somehow, it got posted unfinished, and I now cannot edit it. Start again. Sorry.
Almost there, I would lighten this, there is a lot of detail not seen, a bit of sharpening,and you have a really cracking image. Ed.

This was taken with the new Pentax K3 using boumced flash.

Your bounced flash did you well with lovely colour! How did you do the background?

(Nov 6, 2013, 13:57)danielbennett2020 Wrote:  Your bounced flash did you well with lovely colour! How did you do the background?

Hi Daniel . Thanks for your comments. As to your question about the background - I have a small table on which is propped vertically at one end a sheet of plywood. Over these I drape a sheet of black velvet (imitation !) and i set the bowl of flowers on the velvet which covers the table. The velvet absorbs stray light very well. I use this setup for photographing lots of items.

Nice one, could it stand a tad more sharpening. Ed.

(Nov 6, 2013, 11:34)boxcam85 Wrote:  This was taken with the new Pentax K3 using boumced flash.
A very nice image, with sharp contrasts between the subject and the background. On my monitor the whites of the flowers look a little over exposed and there is a trace of a shadow (nitpicking here) around the base of the bowl. I wondered why you chose to use a flash on this subject rather than reflected natural light and a long exposure.

I just love orchids. these were taken at Wisley , a world renound plant cultivation and student center in London.These are in the hot house, this hot house takes you about an hour towalk through.
johnRolleyes

If you are photographing flowers, and what’s better to photograph than orchids, then you need to find the best subjects.
1. Best flowers are at the top of the image, a bit too cropped out. Too much contrast between the bottom LH and top right hand corners.
2. Nice image. I like the dark background. Sets the blooms off well. Depth of field drifts off to the right. I would have liked to see detail throughout.
3. nice composition but a bit on the soft side.
4. Depth of field a bit on the shallow side. Nice colours.
5. Little too much depth of field here (you can’t please me can you!!!).Again, the blooms a bit tatty.

[quote='Dean' pid='91257' dateline='1385074435']
If you are photographing flowers, and what’s better to photograph than orchids, then you need to find the best subjects.
1. Best flowers are at the top of the image, a bit too cropped out. Too much contrast between the bottom LH and top right hand corners.
2. Nice image. I like the dark background. Sets the blooms off well. Depth of field drifts off to the right. I would have liked to see detail throughout.
3. nice composition but a bit on the soft side.
4. Depth of field a bit on the shallow side. Nice colours.
5. Little too much depth of field here (you can’t please me can you!!!).Again, the blooms a bit tatty.

Dean Thanks for comments I promise to try harder next time.

There is more detail here than I thought. Keep at it. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

Second thoughts. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

(Nov 22, 2013, 09:43)EdMak Wrote:  Second thoughts. Ed.

Guys
How did you do this, Wow.
John

John, this is the wonder of Photoshop, little to do with me really. Seems that no matter how good the camera/operator is, post processing is necessary, to improve, rather like darkroom work, but better. This final one, I could never have produced in a darkroom. Cheers. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

Good work, Ed. Now, if you can just repair the damage on the edge of the second bloom, and nudge the right hand bloom around to line up with the other two, oh, and then put them on a diagonal, we’ll be getting somewhere. lol.

Sorry if I came over a bit harsh, John. But if you post lots of images in one post then its only going to be a brief comment on each. And no matter how good you are, technically, an image is still likely to fall down if the subject matter, the flower, isn’t in top condition.
I suspect that your images were all taken hand held. Easier to control depth of field when using a tripod.

Good work, Ed. Now, if you can just repair the damage on the edge of the second bloom, and nudge the right hand bloom around to line up with the other two, oh, and then put them on a diagonal, we’ll be getting somewhere. lol.

??????????????????????? Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

I was thinking something more like this! Edges of added background show up a bit here but you get the idea,

Great. Pity John is not paid per insertion!! Ed.

heres a little flower i came across, dont think theres many left now with the weather lol...

Attached Files Image(s)

Looking at the EXIF, surprised it's not a bit sharper, see used a 300mm lens, how close were you. Like the concept and, composition, shows a THINK factor. Cheers. Ed.

I was within 3mtrs, if I remember correctly I was using it (300) because I was using the macro on the lens. (Its built in between 200-300) its part of my course work. So I had thought about it

(Nov 22, 2013, 10:02)john.mcintosh Wrote:  
(Nov 22, 2013, 09:43)EdMak Wrote:  Second thoughts. Ed.

Guys
How did you do this, Wow.
John

John.

You have to realise that Ed is really a Wizard!!

(Nov 28, 2013, 11:03)funkymunky Wrote:  heres a little flower i came across, dont think theres many left now with the weather lol...

little bit more image to the righthand side and it would be a winner, for me. Well done.

Hi
I took this one in Morocco last month.
Regards
john

Attached Files Image(s)

Hi
From a garden in Morocco last month.
regards
John
Cool

Attached Files Image(s)