Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Wood Hill panorama

I keep going back to this image and wondering what's not quite right. Looks kind of weak to me. It's probably staring me in the face but I can't put my finger on it. Any suggestions?

[Image: panorama4_zpsac75bbba.jpg]

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed.”
Ansel Adams

It does lack punch, a water colour as opposed to an oil colour. Also, I find a panoramic shot does not give true indication on a monitor, all you see is a small panel print. Fettled up and printed to A3, as I do with all keepers, puts it in perspective. Ed.

Yep, has all but one of the characteristics of a great image. Well composed, has interest in foreground middle and background. Just lacks that magic ingredient, punch.

I think your feelings about it might be right, James, and it doesn't really interest me - one third grass, almost half sky, and a band of trees between, and those with the lovely autumn colours being very small. Difficult to tell from this downsized image but there appears to be a lake in the valley. If so, perhaps there is a different viewpoint that would include more of the lake, the colourful trees, and the distant hills, when the light is favorable, to give a shot with more interest.

Thanks all for confirming what I suspected - no punch and the panorama just doesn't do the job. I'm thinking of chopping it down the middle and working with the left half.
MrB, no lake around here I'm afraid. Could be a mirage.

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed.”
Ansel Adams

Well, I punched it a bit, then looked at it on 37" TV, has possibilities?? Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

Thanks for the punch Ed. I can see the potential there but, to be frank, I've lost the will to live with this one. I'll maybe come back to it in the future. In the meantime I'm searching for some images I took in your neck of the woods about a year ago. I know there's a couple I wanted to work on but I'm darned if I can find them - great filing system. I could have done an easy search if I'd labelled them 'Leitholm' but I don't like to make things simple for myself. Do you know that area?

Ansel Adams

It's about 22 miles from here, pass through it occasionally. Ed.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by webber
Dec 23, 2017, 15:09
Last Post by pixelmaker
Feb 25, 2017, 16:32
Last Post by Barbara G.
Jan 23, 2017, 19:39