Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average

What Camera?? (Thread Two)

Hi I have the Mk l 100-400L - thinking of swapping it for the Mk ll... how does it compare?

Kind regards

Rolf

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

(Feb 24, 2015, 17:07)Rolf Wrote:  Hi I have the Mk l 100-400L - thinking of swapping it for the Mk ll... how does it compare?

Kind regards

Rolf

Hi the mk2 100-400L lens is totally better in every way I just cant praise it enough when I put my 70-300L in px for the mk 1 I missed the picture quality right away and wished i had not parted with my 300 as well as the way it focused having to pull the barrel out the picture quality on the mk2 is fantastic just like the 300 if not better, it will focus from 3 and a half foot away image stabilization is far superior I use this lens for just about everything now its never off my camera I could not use the mk1 like that I thought I would hang on till the price came down then I thought I would be waiting forever because the mk 1 never really come down in price I traded my 100-mk1 & a 16-35L f/2.8 in for the mk2 and I am really glad I did hope this helps if you have any specific question's you want to ask about the lens feel free to ask I have all the time in the world cheers

Yes I am going to try and keep it going for as long as possible! Thanks!!!

I started out as a boy with a Kodak Brownie Box camera (anybody remember them?) I was so chuffed with it having built in Yellow and Close Up filters! I had Practika, Pentax and Olympus film SLRs going digital about 6 years ago with a full frame Canon 5D Mk1. I still have the 5D used for landscapes, a couple of years ago I added a 50D for extra reach so my cameras are getting a bit long in the tooth. I have preferred to invest in quality glass all EF so I can use them on both cameras.
I have 4 fast primes: 14mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4, 85mm f1.8 and 300 f/4. I would have liked the 300 f2.8 but can't justify the cost. I have 4 L Class zooms that cover the range from 17mm to 400mm. Do I prefer primes or zooms? Each have their place, the Bokeh on the primes are great and yes they are better than zooms IQ wise if the zoom is at one of its extremities. Looks like I should be considering upgrading my Mk1 100-400 for the new MkII, oh my poor bank balance :-(

What would I like as my next replacements well it has to be the Canon 7D MkII and the new 5DSr.

I also always carry a pocket Panasonic Lumix FX550 (which has a Leica lens) useful as the best camera I have as it is the one I have on me. I am a professional genealogist so this little camera goes with me to the archives so I can record any documents I find in my research.

Regards
John

I recently added a 7dMKII to my collection after having used the 50D since it's release, I love my 50D, the 7DmkII is light years better, especially on speed of focusing, and tracking moving objects.

Can't comment on it's video abilities as I have yet to use it for that.

Can't argue about the 7D ll being way better in tech spec than the 50... the new ITR on the 7 ll is said to be not that good but it's worth enabling it and go hunt out some flying birds and see if you get more keepers than not.. on the 1DX it works just fantastically so can't see why it should not be so on the 7D ll. . The not being able to link the spot metering to the active AF point on the 7D ll is something that Canon should not have missed.... All that said, the AF is very fast... and 10 Fps is not at all shabby! I like the dual cards slots... I'm used to that on the 1 series so that's a really big step ... I'm sure we are going to see some really good shots from your new acquisition... looking forward to themSmile

Kind regards

Rolf

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

(Nov 8, 2013, 10:39)Barbara G. Wrote:  I would like to welcome everyone to the forums, and just to get the ball rolling, - two simple questions:

1. What camera do you currently have, and why did you choose to purchase it?

2. What camera would you like to have, and why?

Feel free to elaborate!

(View previous posts in thread one)

I use a long in the tooth 5D for landscapes and I have just ordered (yet to arrive) 7D MkII to replace my 50D. I went for this camera to use for wildlife as it has a crop sensor packed with 20M pixels and can shoot 10 frames a second along with an excellent focusing system. Shame it can only autofocus at f8 on the single central focus point, otherwise I have great hopes for my new friend!
My 5D was almost retired by the 5DSr but I think it will probably be replaced by the 5D MklV when it arrives.

Regards John

PS I'm sticking with Canon as I have too much invested in their glass to change.

well my gear has changed a lot in the last year..

As previously posted I replaced my backup Xti with a 7DII, relegating my 50D to backup. Well apparently it didn't like that role as it quit on my back in may, becoming very inconsistent and refusing to fire frequently. Considered getting it fixed but the wife suggested I go crazy.

So my bodies are now the previously mentioned 7DII, and a shiny new 5D Mk III. My first time going full frame. Haven't shot with it a lot yet but I am liking it so far. The fact the layout is identical to the 7DII is a nice bonus, not to mention that after 10 years I now have 2 cameras that use the same battery and cable release!

(Mar 11, 2014, 04:10)GrahamS Wrote:  Canon 7D - used for studio, wildlife and portraiture.
Nikon D7100 - used for travel and general walkabout.
Pentax K5 - because I like it.
A bunch of Canon Powershots all with optical viewfinders.

Update: I replaced the Canon 7D with a Nikon D610 which I was offered at a silly price. I also sold the Pentax K5, and bought a Nikon 24-85mm f3.5-4.5 AF-S G ED VR lens as a general purpose for the D610. I also now have a Fujifilm X-T10 for travel.

Of all the DSLR cameras I have owned and used, Pentax takes 1st prize. Ergonomics, build, features - the Pentax is a photographer's camera. Unfortunately for me, when I bought my first Pentax, a K10D, the lens range was very poor therefore my collection of Nikon and Canon glass overtook my Pentax collection.

GrahamS
Take my advice.  I'm not using it.Wink

I currently use a Canon 5D mk3 why did I buy it, I was Minolta during my film years and at the time it was a very good product at a reasonable price, then when digital came along Sony had taken over Minolta so I went with a Sony A100 and then moved to a Sony a700 a much under rated camera, I felt the need to go to full frame and that is just what it was a feeling at least in my mind, at the time the Sony full frame was very expensive the need to change to full frame lenses etc, etc, So I decided to buy a second hand 5D and a 50mm lens and see how things developed, this combination I used for about a year along side the Sony gear, the decision was then made to sell the Sony gear and purchase a 24-105 IS L lens at the time the most money I had ever spent on any camera equipment, I must say I loved the combination 5D body and 24-105 so started to save for a upgrade, the wife bless her helped me out and I was able to purchase a brand new 5D mk3 I was over the moon, what a lovely bit of kit, since I have added a couple of lenses to the bag, and a EOS M3 the M3 has become my carry around camera normally with a 22mm lens on, it has full manual functionality for me but also full auto for the wife.
What would I love as my next body the 5D S with it's 50m MP would be very tempting, but the need to upgrade the computer to cope with such large files, I would probably go for the 1DX, but that's just dreaming.

Pete

RAW to the core.

I have Canon 6D - best bang for the buck from Canon.
I wolud buy Canon 1 DX mk2 - if i had the money...

Hi all I have to admit to being a Pentaxian, I currently Own an old MX a K5, & K311& & a GoPro Hero 4.
What would I like to own a Pentax 645 or a Phase One but that would need a Lottery win or my wife would have a serious sense of humour failer.

We Photographers deal in things which are continually Vanishing and when they have vanished, there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again. We cannot develope and print a memory.
                 Henri Cartier Bresson
Doug

My main camera at the moment is a Nikon D7100. Also have a D5100 which has a swivelling screen - so I use that for videos I take of myself playing the guitar. I then have two Fujis - an x100s and an xPro1. It's too many really. I'd like to have just one. There are positives about each of the four cameras. In a perfect word I'd find one camera that has all those positives and then I'd be done searching, and I'm sure at some point down the road they'll all be sold and replaced by something else. For now though, I'm sticking with these and spending my money on books and lessons!

(Apr 20, 2016, 18:02)Dougson Wrote:  Hi all I have to admit to being a Pentaxian, I currently Own an old MX a K5, & K311& & a GoPro Hero 4.
What would I like to own a Pentax 645 or a Phase One but that would need a Lottery win or my wife would have a serious sense of humour failure.

Doug, you make the first part sound like an apology! At their price points, there is nothing better than the K-5 series, the K-3 series, and the 645 cameras, and Pentax also produces many superb lenses. I now have the compact MX-1, the K-5iis, and the K-S2, each of which gives incredible bangs for bucks, plus several Pentax lenses (some old, some new).

I also agree with Delboy's main point - in this case I would like Pentax to make a weatherproof mirrorless camera the size of the MX-1, but with the APS-C sensor and articulated screen as in the K-S2, together with the level of customisation of controls which is possible with the K-5 (and K-3), and the inclusion of a high-res EVF.

Well, I can dream, can't I? Rolleyes Smile

Cheers.
Philip

My journey started about two years ago with a micro four thirds camera - a Panasonic G3. That camera was close to what I still want - just fell short in a couple of areas. I can't help but wonder if the newer Panasonics or the Olympus M43 range mightn't have that perfect camera tucked away there. Must admit the Olympus 45 1.8 lens that I had for a while is my favourite lens I've owned so far. But, then I was lent (and eventually given) the D5100 so I bought a few lenses and lo and behold I was a Nikon man. Then, in a shop, I tried a Fuji x-Pro1 and I just love the handling with all the dials on the outside and no need to go into menus. I put in a stupid offer on a good one on eBay and blow me down with a feather I won the auction. So I was a Fuji user too. Fact is, the Fuji x-Pro1 is close to being the perfect camera for me - except the AF speed is poor and the battery life awful. Maybe the newer Fujis are better? But I've spent way too much so far. Only lost a couple of hundred quid on buying into and then selling out of M43 but for now I'm sticking rather than twisting again. But maybe when the x-Pro2 prices are as low as the x-Pro1 ones have become (i.e. in about two years) I might have to see!

Well, just had a lot of memories jump back into my mind of friends and members from the last 12+ years brought on by reading both these threads. I think for me the most amazing thing in the thread is that I still have the same 3 cameras from my last posts in this thread almost 18 months ago!

Yay me LOL. In fact I am so happy with what I have now I can't see changing anything unless I suffer a malfunction or the technology makes a massive leap. The latest gear isn't a big enough improvement over my current gear to warrant the cost.

Anyone get any new gear for Christmas?

Nothing at all photographic-wise this year. Last year I got a bunch of books - portfolios, rather than how-to's - and I still haven't really given them the attention they deserve, so this year it was after-shave.

I did get some photo related gear, a new Manfrotto bag that will hold one body, two lenses and a flash. It will also hold my netbook or tablet.

The other item is a window mount ball head, for use at the nature reserve where your car is your hide.

Santa brought me this:
[Image: 31949878312_e00f69b572_o.jpg]

It's a Lomo 35mm film camera DIY constructor kit! I hope that my hands are still clever enough.

GrahamS

That is cool, I may have to track one of those down.

(Nov 8, 2013, 10:39)Barbara G. Wrote:  I would like to welcome everyone to the forums, and just to get the ball rolling, - two simple questions:

1. What camera do you currently have, and why did you choose to purchase it?

2. What camera would you like to have, and why?

Feel free to elaborate!

I currently use a Nikon D5300.  I purchased it because it produced an image of a similar quality to a full frame camera,
(24.2 megapixels).  This superseded the Nikon D5100 - before that a Nikon D60.

I would like to use a Nikon full frame camera for the superior quality in low light situations.

(View previous posts in thread one)

Jeff

Update:  I threw all those bits and pieces in a box and gave it a good shake, and this is what fell out.
 [attachment=7096]

GrahamS

Nice... must have been a pretty solid shake!

If the box had had an Airfix label, it would have been easier...

GrahamS

And you've already seen a relonch camera review on fixthephoto.com
I think this is a very interesting option, of course, mostly for beginners! I would like to hear your opinion)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post