Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Practicing Digital Photography: Buildings & Homes

(Dec 10, 2013, 04:49)Dean Wrote:  Here’s another clock tower, a bit smaller this time. It is the Clocktower on the Institute (village hall) at Kingsand, in South East Cornwall. Built to commemorate the coronation of King George V. Taken this year with my Canon 60D. Hand held at 1/500sec and f13. I gave a talk to the WI who meet in the room on the first floor, up the outside stairs. The men have a snooker club on the ground floor, with access straight off the road.
here is an image from local newspaper of the clock tower at Kingsands during recent storms. Unfortunately it has suffered serious damage and is touch and go as to whether it is repairable.    

Sad Dean, at least a fire can be put out, usually! Ed.

To each his own!

Dean,

Frankly, it's disgraceful that our public bodies have been so short sighted as to let our coastal defences get into such a state. It's obvious to any who think, that we are living on an island and as such, matters like coastal erosion are of the very highest importance. However, typically, politicians bury their heads in the sands and hope it'll be the 'other guys' who will have to sort it out. If you run a car, it will need regular maintenance and servicing, what makes the powers that be, think that coastal areas which are continually being bombarded by the sea on a daily basis are any different?

On a different note, who took the picture you have posted #51? Whoever took it did a fabulous job.

Regards.

Phil.

Lyme Park, Disley, Cheshire, UK. The lake from which Mr. Darcy arose...

Whitby Abbey, Whitby, North Yorkshire, UK

Just to kill 'fancy' buildings monotony Smile

Taken in Zagreb, Croatia not so long time ago..

[Image: 12195212485_ef77f5f8f9_c.jpg]

Hi Korry,

That's a refreshing change from the norm, and a great looking picture. Reminds me of the Pete Seager song, 'little boxes'. Smile

Thanks for that.

Phil.

Nice effect, Korry.

Philip

(Feb 27, 2014, 06:13)Phil J Wrote:  Hi Korry,

That's a refreshing change from the norm, and a great looking picture. Reminds me of the Pete Seager song, 'little boxes'. Smile

Thanks for that.

Phil.

Yes! That's the right song, it starts autoplaying in my head every time I'm in that neighborhood, they even have a pink one Big Grin

(Feb 27, 2014, 11:24)MrB Wrote:  Nice effect, Korry.

Philip

Thank you very much Shy

Ruins on the shore of Tortola.

Jim, have you any software that you can use to straighten the horizon, and perhaps the buildings, bit they may be leaning with age! Ed.

To each his own!

(Mar 7, 2014, 15:13)EdMak Wrote:  Jim, have you any software that you can use to straighten the horizon, and perhaps the buildings, bit they may be leaning with age! Ed.

Thanks for the heads up Ed, that's why I am here, to learn the things that should be obvious. Rolleyes

Just a few attempts at doing buildings. Any thoughts or comments are welcomed as always.

Jim, when possible, include the top of buildings, and, always correct verticals. Ed.

To each his own!

Cottage Roofs

These are in the village of Latimer in Buckinghamshire, photographed last week (27/3/14) using a Pentax K-5 II with the 18-135mm zoom lens at 135mm; settings: f/5.6, 1/200s, -1 EV, ISO 160.

Cheers.
Philip

Nice one Philip, and, a great advert for TV ariel's! Ed.

To each his own!

Thank you Ed - I'm pleased this photo got a good reception. Smile

Cheers.
Philip

Derby's Silk Mill is the site of the world's first factory.

[Image: 101857022.jpg]

He who has come through the fire will not fade in the sun

Could use a bit more contrast/brightness. EXIF is confusing? 179 secs@F10?? Ed.

To each his own!

(Apr 6, 2014, 03:49)EdMak Wrote:  Could use a bit more contrast/brightness. EXIF is confusing? 179 secs@F10?? Ed.

179secs and F10 = long exposure using a big stopper filter. It was a very dull day with an equally boring sky. I decided to use the long exposure to add a bit of movement/ drama to the scene.

Although I am not a fan of very long exposures of clouds and water - I much prefer a more natural look with perhaps just a hint of motion - I do like this capture of the building. Just a couple of suggestions -

There are bright strips at the lower left and right that detract from the mill, and also reveal distracting detail beyond it. A crop into the ends of the building to remove them, might make the mill even more imposing.

Given the period of the "dark satanic mills", it would seem to be a good image for conversion to black and white, making the structure even more dramatic against the movement of the clouds and water.

Cheers.
Philip

Chopping buildings removes the size, could have another 20 feet on either end, no way of knowing, so a no no to me. Comes across as a B&W Shot, definitely

This one, more creepy? Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

The B&W conversion works well with the original picture dimensions. Whereas in the original colour photograph, there is the intruding 'new architecture' of a building to the right hand side and to the rear. So for me at least, the original pic converted to B&W has the greatest appeal.

Thanks to each of you for putting up differing thoughts and dimensions to the photograph. Each provided food for thought well worth considering in their own right, and as always, there is no wholly correct answer, as it is always down to the perception of the viewer.

Regards.

Phil.

The B&W works for me. I wouldn't crop up to the building for reasons already given. However, now I've had time to look at it through fresh eyes, I will blur the sides and clone out the white stripe. thanks for all your feed back.

Marlow Church

Three shots of the interior of the church at Marlow on Thames in Buckinghamshire, captured last Sunday at ISO 400 with a Pentax K-5 II and a 30mm Sigma prime lens:

f/2.0, 1/125s, -1 EV.

f/1.4, 1/30s.

f/4.5, 1/320s, -0.7 EV.

Images processed in PaintShop Pro X6.

Cheers.
Philip

3 crackers Philip. Ed.

To each his own!