Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Practicing Digital Photography: Bridges & Overpasses

(Apr 7, 2014, 04:01)threewheels Wrote:  Long Horse Bridge
River Trent, Derbyshire

The bridge and the low sun are wonderful. However, does the almost black, almost featureless, left hand side contribute to the image? Perhaps crop to a different composition, with some enhancement of the sun's glow and the clarity of the bridge.

E.g.

Cheers.
Philip

(Apr 7, 2014, 06:29)WDHewson Wrote:  Crossing the Ohio River into Kentucky.

This is an amazing huge structure of girders and rivets, and a good composition for the photo. It just needs a boost in the processing to give more of an impression of depth in the scene.

Cheers.
Philip

(Apr 8, 2014, 07:33)MrB Wrote:  
(Apr 7, 2014, 06:29)WDHewson Wrote:  Crossing the Ohio River into Kentucky.

This is an amazing huge structure of girders and rivets, and a good composition for the photo. It just needs a boost in the processing to give more of an impression of depth in the scene.

Cheers.
Philip

Thanks Philip. That's a good critique. I'm not sure what a "boost" is but I've dialed in bit of contrast. And I think I know what bridge is as in the file name.

Attached Files Image(s)

(Apr 8, 2014, 09:02)WDHewson Wrote:  ....Thanks Philip. That's a good critique. I'm not sure what a "boost" is but I've dialed in bit of contrast....

Sorry WD, I should have typed "contrast boost" - but you obviously got the idea! I think it looks very good now. Smile

Cheers.
Philip

Try it as a B&W pic. Ed.

To each his own!

Trent Bridge and Lady bay Bridge, Nottingham

[Image: _MG_4468_DxO_zps260e0f78.jpg]

He who has come through the fire will not fade in the sun

(Apr 8, 2014, 12:08)EdMak Wrote:  Try it as a B&W pic. Ed.

Thanks Ed for the B&W suggestion. Here it is.

I was a bit lost that day. A bit of research suggested the Cairo Bridge, but now I think it's the Shawneetown Bridge. What will I think next?

Attached Files Image(s)

(Apr 9, 2014, 08:22)WDHewson Wrote:  

I was a bit lost that day. A bit of research suggested the Cairo Bridge, but now I think it's the Shawneetown Bridge. What will I think next?

Hi W.D.

The other two were both good in their own ways, but, this B & W rendition is the winner from where I'm sitting and that Kenworth or is it a Mac? Puts some perspective and appreciation of scale into the image.

First class job, well done.

Regards.

Phil.

(Apr 9, 2014, 09:08)Phil J Wrote:  
(Apr 9, 2014, 08:22)WDHewson Wrote:  

Hi W.D.

The other two were both good in their own ways, but, this B & W rendition is the winner from where I'm sitting and that Kenworth or is it a Mac? Puts some perspective and appreciation of scale into the image.

First class job, well done.

Regards.

Phil.

Phl:

I had a hard time identifying the bridge. Getting the truck make will surely be guesswork from me.

Canada USA link above the St. Clair River.

Attached Files Image(s)

Good old London Bridge and a shot taken in Manchester showing 3 ages of bridge design.

If you like it, shoot it!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/simon_rose/

Simon,

That's 'Tower Bridge', London Bridge is now living somewhere in Texas. Smile LOL.

Regards.

Phil.

Ahh that's right, because London Bridge was falling down, falling down, falling down...

Not from 'the Smoke' so all those Bridges do confuse me! Thanks for putting me straight!

If you like it, shoot it!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/simon_rose/

Maidenhead Bridges over the Thames:

1st: The stone arches of the A4 road bridge
ISO 200; 28mm; f/8; 1/250s

2nd: The brick arches of the western railway bridge
ISO 200; 28mm; f/8; 1/200s

Images captured as JPEGs, using a Pentax K-70 and 28-105mm zoom hand-held, later adjusted using PaintShop Pro X8.

A Road Bridge:

This 18th century brick bridge crosses the River Colne (a tributary of the River Thames) in Hertfordshire:

[attachment=7369]
[ Pentax K-70; 18-135mm lens at 36mm; ISO 200; f/8; 1/125s; -1EV; Camera JPEG with some adjustments in PaintShop Pro.]

Any comments always welcome.
Philip

(Apr 5, 2019, 03:42)MrB Wrote:  A Road Bridge:

This 18th century brick bridge crosses the River Colne (a tributary of the River Thames) in Hertfordshire:

[ Pentax K-70; 18-135mm lens at 36mm; ISO 200; f/8; 1/125s; -1EV; Camera JPEG with some adjustments in PaintShop Pro.]

Any comments always welcome.
Philip
Phillip, your country has the most beautiful/visually appealing bridges, and architecture in general. Nothing even approaches the beauty and design of this bridge in my neck of the woods!! And the way that you have captured it is superb. 

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

Thank you, Glen.

I just hope the authorities look after them for future generations to enjoy - they are under increasing strain from the rising volume and weight of traffic.

Philip