Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Where to buy my new DSLR from?

Hi one and all,

I'm Dougie from England (UK), still have my old SLR but am brand new to digital photography, Help!!!

I'm about to purchase a Nikon D7100 and the prices differ one hell of a lot depending on where you look. Do I go for the current best price of £550 for camera body only at EGlobal and buy direct from Hong Kong on line, (worried about Guarantee if it should malfunction or Grey import) or, spend more and buy from UK shop or Amazon etc?

I REALLY would appreciate any advice on this one, thanks in advance,

PS: I don't understand the "Poll" option.

EGLObal Comes up via Price Spy. I would not buy abroad, could attract, Customs/ Import/VAT/and other costs, and, as you say, Guarantee. Have you looked on eBay, UK Only. Pay by Pay Pal, if possible, wherever you buy. Ed.

(Jan 9, 2014, 14:35)Dougiegreenscala Wrote:  Hi one and all,

I'm Dougie from England (UK), still have my old SLR but am brand new to digital photography, Help!!!

I'm about to purchase a Nikon D7100 and the prices differ one hell of a lot depending on where you look. Do I go for the current best price of £550 for camera body only at EGlobal and buy direct from Hong Kong on line, (worried about Guarantee if it should malfunction or Grey import) or, spend more and buy from UK shop or Amazon etc?

IF you purchase a Nikon from anyone other than an authorized seller in your market, Nikon WILL refuse to work on it.
Not just warranty work.
Any work.

Any warranty will be through the seller ONLY, and may require shipping it back to them for any required service. And I would wonder about that too, since Nikon is now being very stingy as to who gets the software tools and parts for new cameras.

If you purchase directly from HK, will you not be liable for import duties?

Are ALL the necessary accessories included?
And are they OEM?
Or some cheap junk they found?

The 'Poll' option is not typically used by the usual members, so ignore it.

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

If you buy from a proper shop in town you get to handle the camera first, get shown basic operation and have someone to go to to ask any questions you might ever have - and someone to show it to if it stops working. Any extra you pay is well worth while.

Have a chat with the guys at Warehouse Express, they might be able to help. All I'd say is beware of deals which are too good to be true - because they probably are. The Photography show is on at the NEC at the beginning of March, which is well worth a visit. you'll also be able to try the camera out with various lenses and you could probably strike a good deal on the day.

Just a thought

regards

F

Hi guys,

Many thanks to you all for the replies and advice which I fully take on board, will be visiting three local stores in the morning to get the feel of it. Really appreciate the quick feedback, great Forum.

Cheers for now and I'll keep you posted,

(Jan 9, 2014, 16:53)John M Wrote:  If you buy from a proper shop in town you get to handle the camera first, get shown basic operation and have someone to go to to ask any questions you might ever have - and someone to show it to if it stops working. Any extra you pay is well worth while.

You're incredibly lucky to have even one real camera store.
I live in the 6th largest metro area of the country, and there's only 1 full store, and 1 'kinda' store.
All the others have closed, even Ritz/Wolf.

2HowardsPhoto.biz

Just for the record, Nikon UK and any approved Nikon Repair Centre in the UK, in fact repair, or will estimate repair, for any Nikon camera. Ed.

(Jan 10, 2014, 10:30)EdMak Wrote:  Just for the record, Nikon UK and any approved Nikon Repair Centre in the UK, in fact repair, or will estimate repair, for any Nikon camera. Ed.

Nikon USA has said differently.
Not an in-market camera? No service.

2HowardsPhoto.biz

Surprised this was not Global, but, seems to be Country Dependant. Ed.

(Jan 9, 2014, 14:35)Dougiegreenscala Wrote:  Hi one and all,

HI again,

Once again many thanks for all the info and advice which I have taken. I went to "The London Camera Exchange" shop in Reading, which is only a half hours drive away and bought a Nikon D7100 body for £829 with £100 cashback from Nikon plus all important guarantee. They didn't have the lens I wanted but "Station Cameras" nine doors down the road did, which is a "Tamron 18-270mm VC PZD" with the all important 5 year warranty. Just got in and have put the battery on charge, weyhey lol.
Am now taking my first look at the Users Manual, all 358 pages of it and have come to the conclusion that I need a BA in science, ANY ADVICE here would be appreciated. Many thanks in advance,

Oh, I forgot, also purchased a "Sandisk Extreme Pro 32 GB SDHC UHS-I" card.

Seems a happy ending. Ed.

Hi Ed,

Hope its a happy beginning too mate, great Forum, thanks everyone for all the advise, will keep you posted.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post