Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

ShutterTalk Digital Photography Contest March 2014: Black & White

Hi Barbara,

When people have problems posting their photographs on here, do they not have the originals stored on their own computer? I mean, they must originally have been in a file system of some sort on a desktop/tower/laptop or external hard drive. So why not post from there? I do, as do a great many others on here, it's not difficult to do.

Just a thought.

Regards.

Phil.

(Mar 13, 2014, 19:16)Phil J Wrote:  Hi Barbara,

When people have problems posting their photographs on here, do they not have the originals stored on their own computer? I mean, they must originally have been in a file system of some sort on a desktop/tower/laptop or external hard drive. So why not post from there? I do, as do a great many others on here, it's not difficult to do.

Just a thought.

Regards.

Phil.

I agree that it is the easiest way to add photos to the forums from you computer. It is easier for the members to see when they posted in the forums, too. Rather than going off site to take a look.

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

(Feb 22, 2014, 09:38)Yaterman Wrote:  Here's three of my black-and-whites from the last couple of months.

Sorry for the late reply. All very inventive shots here, and detail levels are just fabulous. The last of the trilogy reminds me of someone I once knew. Good work, which has been well executed.

Regards.

Phil.

(Mar 13, 2014, 19:16)Phil J Wrote:  Hi Barbara,

Just a thought.

Regards.

Phil.

Hi Barbara and Phil,
Thanks for your help. I'm sure this is my fault. I have the originals on my computer. Sorry to be a pain but are there some instructions on how to post here straight from your computer, apologies again
Geraint

Geraint,

No need to apologise, everyone has to do things in their own time. Try working through this sequence.

1) Post a new reply, or maybe a new thread from the root directory of the forum.
2) At the bottom of the text entry box you'll find a section which says 'New Attachment' and a button marked 'Browse' beside it.
3) Press the 'Browse' button and this should take you to your own computer from which you can find 'your pictures' or whatever you call the folder where you store your photos.
4) Select the photo you want to post by double clicking on it, this file number or description will now be shown under the text box on this forum.
5) Now press the 'Add Attachment' button which is opposite the 'New Attachment' button.
6) Place your cursor in the text box at the point where you wish to insert your picture.
7) Now press the 'Insert Attachment' button to insert your picture into your next post.
8) You can add multiple pictures by following this sequence as there is a separate 'Insert Attachment' button for each photograph you wish to insert.
9) Make sure you reposition the cursor in the text box each time to ensure the correct picture goes into the appropriate position in the text box.

I hope this help.

Best regards.

Phil.

(Mar 15, 2014, 19:50)Phil J Wrote:  Geraint,

No need to apologise, everyone has to do things in their own time. Try working through this sequence.

1) Post a new reply, or maybe a new thread from the root directory of the forum.
2) At the bottom of the text entry box you'll find a section which says 'New Attachment' and a button marked 'Browse' beside it.
3) Press the 'Browse' button and this should take you to your own computer from which you can find 'your pictures' or whatever you call the folder where you store your photos.
4) Select the photo you want to post by double clicking on it, this file number or description will now be shown under the text box on this forum.
5) Now press the 'Add Attachment' button which is opposite the 'New Attachment' button.
6) Place your cursor in the text box at the point where you wish to insert your picture.
7) Now press the 'Insert Attachment' button to insert your picture into your next post.
8) You can add multiple pictures by following this sequence as there is a separate 'Insert Attachment' button for each photograph you wish to insert.
9) Make sure you reposition the cursor in the text box each time to ensure the correct picture goes into the appropriate position in the text box.

I hope this help.

Best regards.

Phil.

Hi Phil,
Thanks for this, I don't mean to highjack this thread but, I have followed this and end up with the message that says my photo is too large and your site says the image has to be 100KB max. My image is 1024 kilobytes. Can you post some instructions on how to adjusted this, I've just started to get my head round Lightroom 5

Geraint,

Have a look at this link http://havecamerawilltravel.com/photogra...-lightroom and I believe you will be very effective in reducing file size to proportions manageable by this site. It isn't what I use, but, as a lightroom user it should suit you well.

Best of luck.

Regards.

Phil.

(Mar 16, 2014, 17:04)Phil J Wrote:  Geraint,

Have a look at this link http://havecamerawilltravel.com/photogra...-lightroom and I believe you will be very effective in reducing file size to proportions manageable by this site. It isn't what I use, but, as a lightroom user it should suit you well.

Best of luck.

Regards.

Phil.

Hi
ta for this can you recommend what hight and width or what resolution would be best, what do you do reduce size resolution?

Geraint,

If lightroom works in the same way as the software I use, when you adjust one side the other side will automatically readjust to maintain the aspect ratio. So I tend to select the longest side (depending on if it's landscape or portrait format) and set it to about 850 pixels, quality set at 95% and quality type set for Lanczos3 window.

As I said, "I'm not a lightroom user" but it seems reasonable that there will be similarities between the way most of this stuff works.

Keep up the good work and don't give up. Smile

Best regards.

Phil.

(Mar 19, 2014, 15:09)gerainte Wrote:  

Best of luck.

Regards.

Phil.

Hi
ta for this can you recommend what hight and width or what resolution would be best, what do you do reduce size resolution?

Dear Mr. Geraint,

What you really need is face to face, hands on instruction from a friend who is knowledgeable about this issue. Maybe a continuing education course in photography/Photoshop at your local college might help. Question upon question, after the previous question has been addressed, is redundant, unending, and uninspiring in every sense of the meaning. Please consider this as constructive, but I am interested in things other than your specific problems.

Ta, you don't have to read my posts though, do you.

(Mar 19, 2014, 19:04)Tom G Wrote:  
(Mar 19, 2014, 15:09)gerainte Wrote:  

Best of luck.

Regards.

Phil.

Hi

Dear Mr. Geraint,

What you really need is face to face, hands on instruction from a friend who is knowledgeable about this issue. Maybe a continuing education course in photography/Photoshop at your local college might help. Question upon question, after the previous question has been addressed, is redundant, unending, and uninspiring in every sense of the meaning. Please consider this as constructive, but I am interested in things other than your specific problems.

"I am interested in things other than your specific problems," then don't read them, ta for the advice.

(Mar 19, 2014, 17:27)Phil J Wrote:  Geraint,

If lightroom works in the same way as the software I use, when you adjust one side the other side will automatically readjust to maintain the aspect ratio. So I tend to select the longest side (depending on if it's landscape or portrait format) and set it to about 850 pixels, quality set at 95% and quality type set for Lanczos3 window.

As I said, "I'm not a lightroom user" but it seems reasonable that there will be similarities between the way most of this stuff works.

Keep up the good work and don't give up. Smile

Best regards.

Phil.

Thanks will try that.

(Mar 20, 2014, 12:26)gerainte Wrote:  "I am interested in things other than your specific problems," then don't read them, ta for the advice.

Definition of TA
British: thanks
Origin of TA
baby talk
First Known Use: 1772

Tom G,

A bit of expansion to your definition, is that TA, is an abbreviation of 'Thanks Awfully' !! So quite posh in its day. Not used much nowadays, excepting as in your definition as 'Baby Talk'.

I was unaware of it's first known usage, so thanks for contributing to my (and probably many others) education. It just goes to prove that every day is a school day and I'm never too old to learn something new and informative. Smile

Best regards.

Phil.

How about these couple?

No1. St Marys Church, Painswick, Gloucestershire, UK. Not strictly B & W but Sepia toned.

Techie Stuff.
Nikon D300, F/5, 640th/sec, ISO 200, 18mm, M/Mode centre weighted, Aperture Priority, White balance Auto.

No2. The east gatehouse to the church above.

F/5, 125 Sec, ISO 200, 46mm, M/Mode - Centre weighted, Aperture Priority, White Balance - Auto.

Excellent Phil, I have a soft spot for B&W. Cheers. Ed.

To each his own!

Hi Ed,

In which case, this is the main entrance to the church from the roadside. This church is right in the middle of the village and thus was built way before there would have been any need of such as a car park. Smile

I like the entrance photograph, leads you in to who knows what, atmospheric and spooky.

Thanks Geraint,

Churches, at least old ones tend to provide just that atmosphere, well, that's what I've found and are generally great subjects for the photographer; as there are so many and they come in vastly differing sizes, states of repair and location. Also, a lot of vicars are only too pleased to let you inside to photograph 'their' church in exchange for some nice quality prints.

I must make time in the coming months to get to take some photos of Tewkesbury Abbey. Another very historic 'mega church' located quite close to me.

How are you getting on with the re-sizing issues you were experiencing? PM me if you like and we can maybe talk it through.

Regards.

Phil.

(Mar 22, 2014, 10:10)Phil J Wrote:  Thanks Geraint,

Churches, at least old ones tend to provide just that atmosphere, well, that's what I've found and are generally great subjects for the photographer; as there are so many and they come in vastly differing sizes, states of repair and location. Also, a lot of vicars are only too pleased to let you inside to photograph 'their' church in exchange for some nice quality prints.

I must make time in the coming months to get to take some photos of Tewkesbury Abbey. Another very historic 'mega church' located quite close to me.

How are you getting on with the re-sizing issues you were experiencing? PM me if you like and we can maybe talk it through.

Regards.

Phil.

Thanks I'm going to try the your last advice. If I get problems I'l take you up on your kind offer.

Hi
This is my first time taking B & W and would love to have critique please. Taken on my kitchen table just practising with different settings ect. Wish I could get my pics to pop like I see in so many others photos            

Attached Files Image(s)

(Feb 20, 2014, 05:40)Simon Rose Wrote:  Street musicians in Prague. Real characters, and one great moustache!
Hi Simon
Great photos, I absolutely love everything about them, especially #3

Charlie, try a bit more contrast, this will add "Punch" Ed.

To each his own!

(Mar 23, 2014, 12:16)EdMak Wrote:  Charlie, try a bit more contrast, this will add "Punch" Ed.

Thank you Ed I will give it a go