Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Introduction

Hi:
I am very new to photography.

I have a Nikon D5200 DSR. I am trying to import (I think this is the word) some photos from a Nikon View NX2 Program to the Lightroom Program.

I will plead ignorance, I have no clue how to do it. Please Help me. My pictures at the present time are horrible.

Evelyn, LightRoom can be very daunting at the start, and it takes time to come to grips with it, but once you do, it is magic! Being an older person and not comfortable with the digital world, I was recommended to the LightRoom Manual by Steve Kelby (I like a hard-copy manual to work from rather than my PC monitor) and found it terrifically helpful. On top of that, there are excellent LR tutorials on the net (e.g. Laura Shoe, Serge Ramelli). Don't give up! If you have a problem (such as your importing) Google the question and there's always an answer. I wish I could give you some quick help about your specific importing problem - someone else out there with the same camera as you might be able to help? With LR - if you haven't already come to grips with its filing/storing approach - get that sorted before anything. Otherwise you'll get into a total mess like I did at the start! LR doesn't store the whole image, only your amendments, so if you move the original photo in your hard drive, the link with LR breaks and it can't find your original photo. I'm breaking out in a rash just thinking what chaos I caused myself way back! Best wishes taming LR - I promise you'll be so glad you persisted.

Thank you very much for your assistance and encouragement. I will pursue your suggestions. Yes frustration can set in with all of this techie stuff. Evelyn

Evelyn

Welcome to the forums! Nice to meet you!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Evelyn, a warm welcome to this super Forum.
aRamos, Is it not possible to save the edited pic as a new file, and store/move where you want. I can't see P/S designing Software with such a "Fault". Never seen this mentioned before. Ed.

To each his own!

(Mar 16, 2014, 11:46)EdMak Wrote:  Evelyn, a warm welcome to this super Forum.
aRamos, Is it not possible to save the edited pic as a new file, and store/move where you want. I can't see P/S designing Software with such a "Fault". Never seen this mentioned before. Ed.

You can create a Virtual Copy of your amended image. But I understand that the original image must stay in its place in the hard-drive or the link with LR is broken and you have to do a Find/Locate procedure to track it down again. It's not a fault but a way that LR operates to minimise the hard drive space taken up. Unlike Photoshop, the original image is not destroyed when you make changes to it. LR only saves the changes in a catalog - every time you open up your processed image, LR opens up the original+changes, not a "new" photo. But you can export this processed pic back into your hard-drive, to save it there as a "new" image. But I'm prepared to be corrected on this by an expert - I'm a relative newbie at this!

Thanks. You can in fact have another pic File. Ed.

To each his own!

(Mar 15, 2014, 14:28)evelyn Wrote:  Hi:
I am very new to photography.

I have a Nikon D5200 DSR. I am trying to import (I think this is the word) some photos from a Nikon View NX2 Program to the Lightroom Program.

I will plead ignorance, I have no clue how to do it. Please Help me. My pictures at the present time are horrible.

Are you using NX2? Or ViewNX 2.

ViewNX is the download and minor adjustment tool from Nikon. I use an earlier version called NikonTransfer. It downloads my images and makes an immediate backup.
THEN, I import the images into LightRoom from the hard drive, leaving them in-place.

NX2 is a full-function image editing tool.

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

Wall-E:

Thank for your information.

I do have the View NX2. I also have Photoshop and LightRoom. I have been told that Lightroom is much easier to work with so I will try your suggestion.

I have also printed off the entire LightRoom Manual which I must admit is reasonably clear for even a newbie like me.

I am presently taking a course on the Fundamentals of Digital Photography so I am trying to go slow and make sure that I understand the components of camera etc. before I embark. In other words I am trying to "slow myself down to ensure that I have a good knowledge base" which for a Type A Personality can be a challenge in itself. (laugh).

I have already used the image editing tool for the ViewNX2 to "improve" the photos I have taken.

I am excited about this forum and hopefully once I grasp what I am doing, I am hoping to offer as well as receive suggestions. In my opinion that is what makes a Forum successful.

Thanks again.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by washington1775
Apr 13, 2017, 07:20
Last Post by caveman
Apr 5, 2016, 09:34