Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hello Everyone

Hello all,
After taking a long break from 35mm film photography back in the 70's, I have now returned to a new era of digital Photograpy as I approach my retirement years. I have got myself a Nikon D7000 and a few lenses. However my latest one is a Sigma 150-500 which weighs in at about 2kg. I am passionate about hand holding photography and full understand the limitations I need to consider to do this with this type of lens. However my difficulty is with the techniques to hold this brute up comfortably ... I am a bit weaker now I am in my 60's. Anyway I am looking forward to discussions on all aspects of photography on the forum.

Cheers

Welcome. Does the Camera/Lens have Image Stabilizer. Ed.

To each his own!

(Aug 6, 2014, 16:17)EdMak Wrote:  Welcome. Does the Camera/Lens have Image Stabilizer. Ed.
Yes it does and although I have not done any real shooting with this it does appear to be very good and I can get sharp shots with shutter speed of even 1/125 at 500mm ( and the D7000 is a DX, so really 750mm).
However that's not my problem .... its finding the best way to hand hold it taking into consideration the weight, using the zoom and/or the focus rings. Its all a bit cumbersome and I just wonder if there is a "technique" that is generally used.

Cheers

Iain

Hello Iain,
Its really great to hear from you and welcome to this forum. Hope you will enjoy staying here.

A Monopod/Tripod. Hold the lens cupped, underneath, in your left hand, at the point of balance. Ed.

To each his own!

Welcome Iain.

(Just noticed this thread. I actually sent a reply to your other intro post!)

Cheers.
Philip

(Aug 7, 2014, 06:34)MrB Wrote:  Welcome Iain.

(Just noticed this thread. I actually sent a reply to your other intro post!)

Cheers.
Philip
Yes .. I saw that, my fault for posting in the wrong place in the first place !
But yes muscles would be the answer. This seems a great lens but for the weight. Retails at £1000 but got it new from Amazon for £650 and will be getting a £50 cash back from Sigma, so a real bargain at £600. Has pretty good reviews but as I say I do struggle with the weight. oh .... Forgot to mention .... Comes with a 3 year warranty !

(Aug 7, 2014, 05:55)EdMak Wrote:  A Monopod/Tripod. Hold the lens cupped, underneath, in your left hand, at the point of balance. Ed.
Trying to avoid the tripod/monopod .... But I think the monopod is the only way forward.

Hello and welcome aboard! Nice to meet you!

Make yourself at home here!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

I have a NIkon D5200 and I am seriously thinking about buying the Sigma 150-55 mm Lens. Do you mind telling me the cost. Here in Canada the prices for the Sigma or Nikon vary dramatically. I have a daughter and son-in-law in Sacramento California. I will be visiting them end of October or November. So wondering if this lens is any cheaper down in California.
Evelyn

Hello all,
After taking a long break from 35mm film photography back in the 70's, I have now returned to a new era of digital Photograpy as I approach my retirement years. I have got myself a Nikon D7000 and a few lenses. However my latest one is a Sigma 150-500 which weighs in at about 2kg. I am passionate about hand holding photography and full understand the limitations I need to consider to do this with this type of lens. However my difficulty is with the techniques to hold this brute up comfortably ... I am a bit weaker now I am in my 60's. Anyway I am looking forward to discussions on all aspects of photography on the forum.

Cheers
[/quote]

(Aug 9, 2014, 15:01)evelyn Wrote:  I have a NIkon D5200 and I am seriously thinking about buying the Sigma 150-55 mm Lens. Do you mind telling me the cost. Here in Canada the prices for the Sigma or Nikon vary dramatically. I have a daughter and son-in-law in Sacramento California. I will be visiting them end of October or November. So wondering if this lens is any cheaper down in California.
Evelyn

Evelyn

I bought mine on Amazon for £650 (pounds .... You will need to convert to dollars). Sigma were also offering £50 cashback which I have taken advantage of so total cost £600 for a lens that would normally be £999.
Its a good lens (so far) and a 3 year warranty.
Just watch out ... It is very heavy ... 2kg so you will need muscles of a tripod/monopod.

Iain

Hello all,

Cheers

[/quote]

Thank you Iain. I appreciate your feedback. Yes I was thinking about the Lens 4 lbs plus the weight of the camera. Hmm
(Aug 9, 2014, 15:09)IainWilkie Wrote:  
(Aug 9, 2014, 15:01)evelyn Wrote:  I have a NIkon D5200 and I am seriously thinking about buying the Sigma 150-55 mm Lens. Do you mind telling me the cost. Here in Canada the prices for the Sigma or Nikon vary dramatically. I have a daughter and son-in-law in Sacramento California. I will be visiting them end of October or November. So wondering if this lens is any cheaper down in California.
Evelyn

Evelyn

I bought mine on Amazon for £650 (pounds .... You will need to convert to dollars). Sigma were also offering £50 cashback which I have taken advantage of so total cost £600 for a lens that would normally be £999.
Its a good lens (so far) and a 3 year warranty.
Just watch out ... It is very heavy ... 2kg so you will need muscles of a tripod/monopod.

Iain

Hello all,

Cheers

[/quote]