Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Digger and Joanne

My first shot with a new background. Black cherry they call it. This is my siter-in-law and her dad taken Christmas day. After we ate I might add. Big Grin

I'd also like to welcome feedback on this photo.

[Image: Dig-and-Joe-1.jpg]

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

I like the warm smiles.. they seem very natural and unrehearsed, especially your sister in law. Not forced which is a big issue with portraits.

My initial reaction however, was that having one sit and one stand forces the shot to be taken from further back thereby making me want to get closer to the screen to see them. I wonder if less of a separation between their faces might make the photo seem "tighter". Just my measly .02

Great backdrop!

J

Nos an modica tantum nostri somnium
"We are limited only by our imagination"

Like the bg. Would make for some moody B&Ws. Smile

jericho Wrote:I like the warm smiles.. they seem very natural and unrehearsed, especially your sister in law. Not forced which is a big issue with portraits.

My initial reaction however, was that having one sit and one stand forces the shot to be taken from further back thereby making me want to get closer to the screen to see them. I wonder if less of a separation between their faces might make the photo seem "tighter". Just my measly .02

Great backdrop!

J

I'm inclined to agree with slej on all points here.

In addition, the dark trousers are seen but tend to be less evident against the dark background so perhaps head and shoulders would be better?

Polly

Big Grin ... Thats the first time I have been mistaken for Slej. Which is alright with me. If only a bit of his photographic ability could rub off on me now..

J

Nos an modica tantum nostri somnium
"We are limited only by our imagination"

jericho Wrote:Big Grin ... Thats the first time I have been mistaken for Slej. Which is alright with me. If only a bit of his photographic ability could rub off on me now..

J

Ooops Big Grin

I'd just happy for some of his energy to rub off on me - wouldn't mind being his age again either Wink

Polly

Thanks on the feedback. One thing I found is that using my 420ex in the back to create a hotspot on the backdrop may have been the ticket to separate the black pants from the BG and also to show the purple a little more. I totally agree with the distance between the faces. One point I'll definitely be keeping in mind for this type of shot. Thanks Jerry.

My flickr images

Nice, Have you considered some splash lighting on the background itself. Either in front of or behind, if it is sufficiently translucent? I've been toying with the idea of getting a background myself. Seen plenty of them on Ebay, but have been having a dickens of a time choosing a color, brown, gray, blue, etc. Anybody have any suggestions on a good neutral color for a first background?

Petographer, did you buy it or make it yourself? Been contemplating buying some muslim onthe cheap and attempting a dye job as well. Anyone have any experience with that as well?

Lars

** Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results **

Hi

Ischmekel has given a great point, and was the first thing that I look at it. the background is too dark. try to move the BG to near a window or a small flash 45 Degrees down to separete the fubject from the back.

Posting a small pix with a effect a bit overdone. but it works for what I wanted

Regards

Christian

[Image: d1.jpg]

They look like they had a very satisfying meal Smile

What a satisfying portrait. Well done.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Hi

Yes I a series of dance portraits.

Regards

Christian

lschmekel Wrote:Nice, Have you considered some splash lighting on the background itself. Either in front of or behind, if it is sufficiently translucent? I've been toying with the idea of getting a background myself. Seen plenty of them on Ebay, but have been having a dickens of a time choosing a color, brown, gray, blue, etc. Anybody have any suggestions on a good neutral color for a first background?

Petographer, did you buy it or make it yourself? Been contemplating buying some muslim onthe cheap and attempting a dye job as well. Anyone have any experience with that as well?

Bought it. 10' x 16' was $200.00 cdn dollars. Everything else that I saw cheaper was exactly that, cheaper.

My flickr images

Hi lschmekel

Backgrounds came in diferent colours and sizes, most populars are the greys and blues. But it depends for what you would use it?

If you only going to use portraits I think a grey and blue, the clouds effects is great. If you going to use it for modeling white, as most agencies and magazines change the colour of the background. I like the white as I can do more effects on it.

Hope it helps

Regards

Christian

byrt_001 Wrote:Hi lschmekel

Backgrounds came in different colours and sizes, most populars are the greys and blues. But it depends for what you would use it?

If you only going to use portraits I think a grey and blue, the clouds effects is great. If you going to use it for modeling white, as most agencies and magazines change the colour of the background. I like the white as I can do more effects on it.

Hope it helps

Regards

Christian

Do you use the white to change the entire BG colour? I use chromakey for applying digital backgrounds but am trying to get away from that. It was a more inexpensive way of having multiple backgrounds at first but such an editing hassle.

My flickr images

Hi peto

Unfortunatly I do not know chroma. Yes photoshop does a great job. It is very easy to outline the subject from backgroung when is white.

Regards

Christian

byrt_001 Wrote:Hi peto

Unfortunatly I do not know chroma. Yes photoshop does a great job. It is very easy to outline the subject from backgroung when is white.

Regards

Christian

I see. The reason I use chromakey green background is that there is very little chance that you'll encounter the same colour anywhere else. Thus making it easier for knocking out the subject.

My flickr images