Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

From the bridge...

I took this picture as you might see from a bridge ... I love this part of the picture I most say... but somehow I can't find mi horizon???? Which line guides mi picture?

I haven't played with it. It has been resized and compressed.

Anyway, I leave it to you....

Thanks in advance for any comment Smile

[Image: from_the_bridge.jpg]

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

I think the picture content makes for a great photo but I just think you don't have the right perspective. Go back and reshoot. Take lots of photos from various angles and spots.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

I often have shots like this one, with no visible horizon. I straighten them by picking a building and making it stand upright. With this picture, I'd pick the church tower. Sometimes it's easier to rotate them by 90 degrees, then straighten them.

Gallery/ Flickr Photo Stream

Reality is for wimps who can't face photoshop.

I straightened it by about 2 degrees ccw. Darkened the highlights slightly. filters/smartblur then filters/sharpen/sharpenmore.

At least it looks different.

--Don

[Image: 70_from_the_bridge.jpg]

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

I really like the saturation and colour in Don's post. Rotation looks like it really did the trick too but I do think it's too dark and loses much detail.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

hi

first...why did u included the bridge? if u wanted to include the bridge why did u not shoot it through one of the pilars just to give that sense of urban rural fee?

Before you shoot?...think... look around and see what would look better? imagine your shot....visualise.

this is what i think could be better. re lines represent the bridge

Regards

Christian

[Image: 14_from_the_bridge.jpg]

I like the saturation and retouch that Don did here. The only problem with it is the crop on the top is a bit tight. I know why too - when Don rotated the photo to straighten the horizon, he needed to crop it that tight to remove the slanted edges.

Like this:

[Image: from_the_bridge%201.jpg]

The way to correct that is to fill in the missing pieces of sky with the clone stamp before you crop. It will now look like this.

[Image: from_the_bridge%203.jpg]

To my eye, the tower still has a perspective shift that is not quite right. Select just the pieces of the tower not covered with leaves (with the polygonal lasoo) and do a rotate transform on just that piece. A little final cloning and you are done...

[Image: from_the_bridge%204.jpg]

Now if you do all the stuff that Don did - you have a winner of a picture on your hands - and btw I don't think Don's version is too dark - I like it like that - jmho.

@Petographer: yes, I will go and shoot again, and I will do it from the bridge taking part of the structure may be I might frame my picture with it... Thanks.

@Guerito: Thanks for your advice. I will follow it since I have some other pictures with that problem.

@Don: Thanks a lot for your advice. Indeed looks different but beautiful as well. I have to admit that I never thought about darken it and it looks great.

@Christian: The part of the bridge was merely incidental. I found it in the picture and I liked it, however, you are right if I had wanted to take the bridge I'd have had to considered it when taken the picture.

@Toat: Your explanation step by step and with examples has been very useful, and I am sure not only to me.

Well, I have homework now Smile Thanks a lot for your comments.

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by MBS
Aug 14, 2020, 14:02
Last Post by MBS
Aug 14, 2020, 13:55
Last Post by MBS
Aug 14, 2020, 13:52