Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Help! Changing a flat tire...

I'm quite annoyed. Got a flat front left tyre on my wife's Laser, and I tried changing it tonight. Got the spare, jack and tools out, took the hubcap off, but when I tried taking the wheel nuts off, they wouldn't budge! Not one of them, not a single bit!

The manual (and the web) said to turn anti-clockwise, so I used the wrench thing, even stood on it with my full weight, and bounced up and down, they wouldn't budge an inch! Just for fun I tried clockwise too, but no cigar. All of the nuts looked the same, and the manual didn't mention anything about special locking lug nuts so I don't think that was the problem. How annoying!

I just recently had the car serviced, and they rotated the tyres, so I think the mechanics must have been a bit too trigger happy with tightening the nuts. What do you think? Can anyone help? Or am I missing something simple?

I'd hate to have to call roadside assistance for something as trivial as changing a tyre...

I should mention that the last time I tried changing a tyre on my Pulsar (my car), the same thing happened. Nuts wouldn't budge, and I even broke the wrench in the process. Ended up calling roadside assist and they managed to undo the nuts using a hydraulic wrench thing.

The car was serviced by a different mechanic though. Is it just me?

To my credit, I have successfully changed a tyre once -- about 6 years ago on my first car. That one was easy enough.

I think it's extremely unlikely that you are doing anything wrong. You just need a longer lever!

Cave canem

Even if you had a set of locking lugnuts (as I do), there would likely be only one per tire. And you'd probably need the key when you took it in for service, so chances are you'd know if you had 'em.

I think Ruf is right - more leverage is going to be the only way to get them off. You could also try some Liquid Wrench or similar product, but then you might have a safety issue once you go to tighten them up again.

Good luck!

Try WD40 oe some other penetrating oil. the wheel brace that comes with a car are pretty useless, I always carry an aftermarket tire iron to loosen them with. The mechanics use air powered wrenches and tend to overtighten them.

You could try a lenth of pipe for more leverage... or do as I do.... carry a small compressor in the trunk, blow the tire up and let the tire repair place worry about getting it off. Big Grin

Oh guys, here's a mechanics advice. Don't use more leverage. Sure, that will help turning the nuts but if they are for any reason galled up and the threads have damage, seized or anything of the sort, you could twist the bolts right off. Best solution, heat the lugs with a torch. Small propane is fine. Also, putting a wrench on the lug and standing on it causes sideways pressure on the bolts. Not even. You're looking for trouble. Get a 4-way and if you have to, put 2 people on it. But impact is best if you have access.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Geez, good thing the tyre went flat in my garage.... I'd hate to have a flat like in the middle of nowhere...

Thanks for the advice people! I might try some WD-40... don't have access to a propane torch, and I don't think I'll go out and buy one just to change a tyre. Smile If that fails, I'll call roadside assist. Smile

Petographer Wrote:Get a 4-way and if you have to, put 2 people on it.

Of course, I meant to say to use a 4-way wrench. No, really!

Smart words of caution from Colin.

Hi Julian, yes the garages use their rattle guns on the tyres and sometimes they do over tighten them, i normally do what EnglishBob suggested just make sure you are turning them in the right direction. Another hint is to get the biggest hammer you can find and give the wheelnuts a solid blow,that helps jar them loose.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their help! Today I wasn't going to take no for an answer, and bought myself some WD-40. I applied it liberally to the nuts, waited a few minutes and got cracking. Smile

Standing on the wrench and bouncing up and down didn't do the trick. The propane torch idea was going through my head, but it probably wasn't a good idea after applying WD-40 (could have been fun though!). Next, I stomped on it with all my might and -- voila -- an aweful sounding metallic creak, but it moved! A few stomps later and the nuts were loose!

So, finally got the tyre off, and put the spare on. I couldn't see any puncture marks on the exterior though, wonder what caused it to go flat...

Anyway, you guys are awesome! What would I do without you? Big Grin Come to think of it, it was pretty funny that my initial reaction to seek help was to first search the web, then post on shuttertalk. lol!

Shuttertalk community 1, Flat tyre, 0! Big Grin

IF you ever need to replace the engine... you might try a mechanic Big Grin

Shuttertalk, did you try just pumping the tyre back up and letting it be for a while to see if it went down again? the pucture could also be a worn ole in the tube inside the tyre, and thw WD/Propane would have made for some fun photos Wink

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10
Apple MacBook Pro 15" (Retina Display)

"What do you want to pack today?"

dewy Wrote:Shuttertalk, did you try just pumping the tyre back up and letting it be for a while to see if it went down again? the pucture could also be a worn ole in the tube inside the tyre, and thw WD/Propane would have made for some fun photos Wink

I suggest you stay away from cars, tools and any attempt at fixing them. :o

My flickr images

lol... yes I did pump up the punctured tyre last night (and also the replacement spare). I'll check again tonight to see whether it has gone down or not... Smile

Petographer Wrote:
dewy Wrote:Shuttertalk, did you try just pumping the tyre back up and letting it be for a while to see if it went down again? the pucture could also be a worn ole in the tube inside the tyre, and thw WD/Propane would have made for some fun photos Wink

Why would you say this? I use WD-40 and other Comercial strenght alternatives (my father used to work in earthmoving and picked up various cans over the times) all the time. As for that flame thingo, Let me get my cam...

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10
Apple MacBook Pro 15" (Retina Display)

"What do you want to pack today?"

dewy Wrote:
Petographer Wrote:

Why would you say this? I use WD-40 and other Comercial strenght alternatives (my father used to work in earthmoving and picked up various cans over the times) all the time. As for that flame thingo, Let me get my cam...

Just having fun with you Dewy. Using flamable fluids to bead a tire is kinda fun.

My flickr images

You wouldn't believe it, but another tyre on the same car went flat today. And silly me -- I hadn't gotten round to fixing the flat spare, so my car ain't going anywhere. Sad

Just my luck eh? I had started driving home from work and realised something was wrong so I pulled over at a nearby service station and discovered the flat. They were closed by the time I got there, but they'll be open tomorrow, so I'll get them to fix both tyres for me. Big Grin

With words like "ain't" and "eh" I'd swear you were Canadian. :/

My flickr images

I'd swear you were both English... but then as former English Colonies i guess that should be expected Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post