Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Never too old

I'm just going to post this here out of curiosity. So critique away! Shot today at the High School hill.

35.0-105.0mm @ 105.0mm
1/500 sec, f/7.1
Mode: Manual
Metering: Center-weighted average
ISO: 100
Came out a bit dark so just applied auto levels and 50% on shadows/highlight, no highlight adjustment.

[Image: Sit-Ski.jpg]

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

I dont care about the technicalities. This is a wonderful "Never too old" picture.

Priceless. Big Grin

Cave canem

It's a very good pic. In terms of subject and composition I think it's excellent.

You did a good job panning to capture just a little bit of motion, but maybe a slightly slower shutter would have added to the effect.

The lighting is quite flat, probably because it was cloudy. Some sparkling sunlight would really make it nice. A little beyond your control though ... Smile

Now, do you know why the original came out dark? Wink

slejhamer Wrote:It's a very good pic. In terms of subject and composition I think it's excellent.

You did a good job panning to capture just a little bit of motion, but maybe a slightly slower shutter would have added to the effect.

The lighting is quite flat, probably because it was cloudy. Some sparkling sunlight would really make it nice. A little beyond your control though ... Smile

Now, do you know why the original came out dark? Wink

Thanks Ruf and Mitch. I am not sure why it came out dark. I tried setting my exposure a bit over just as I always do. There was no sun and it was quite overcast.

My flickr images

The reason your exposure was off is that the camera always thinks you're shooting something middle-gray. If your scene is predominantly white (the snow) it will expose it as gray (underexpose.) Similarly, if your scene is largely black it will overexpose. You'll need at least a full stop of exposure comp, sometimes much more depending on the overall brightness of the scene. Sunlight could actually make it worse because of the specular highlights that will appear on the snow.

Or you can just fix it in post-processing as you did, which works fine too! Smile

Looks great Colin - don't change a thing...

...oh I'm sorry - should I be more critical?

Toad Wrote:Looks great Colin - don't change a thing...

...oh I'm sorry - should I be more critical?

Do you need to be? Have at'er man! I can take it. Big Grin

My flickr images

I can't say anything about technical things, but only that is a Wonderful picture... I can see the mischievous face of this guy, he is indeed having fun... You delivered the message, really....

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne