Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Frosty Morning

Hi Eveyone.
I took these using my Canon 600d with my 18-55mm kit lens. It was a very cold morning, foggy and frosty with the sun trying to break through. The first photo settings are 1/160 sec. f10 ISO 100, 35mm focal length
The second photo was 1/100 sec. f5.6 ISO 100 53mm focal length
Some post processing was used as the foggy, frosty day gave the photo a slightly blue tinge. Any comments and suggestions as to how to improve these would be welcome.

Attached Files Image(s)

[Image: 21ccuxd.jpg]

best I could doSmile

[Image: jq2v6h.jpg]

SmileJohn

[Image: sosp4p.jpg]

Nice images. All I would do is up the saturation a bit, to show it was the rising sun.

caveman's monochrome conversion of the second one looks quite good, though it does lose all sunrise connections.

EDIT: Once posted, there doesn't look like nearly as much colour enhancement to my version as there was when doing it in my software. I find that lots of times on this site.

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

[Image: 2eq450k.jpg]

had another little tweakSmile

(Feb 25, 2016, 01:41)Jocko Wrote:  Nice images. All I would do is up the saturation a bit, to show it was the rising sun.

caveman's monochrome conversion of the second one looks quite good, though it does lose all sunrise connections.

EDIT: Once posted, there doesn't look like nearly as much colour enhancement to my version as there was when doing it in my software. I find that lots of times on this site.

same with mine,Confused can't seem to get the size right!Confused

I resize all my images so that the largest edge is 916 pixels. If you look at the data on the bar below most images it says resized to 916 x ??? so I just do it before uploading. Philip resizes his for a max height of 900 pixels but I have my software (ACDSee 19) set so that batch resize gives 916 for the largest dimension. Saves me messing about.

Must say John that I like both your shots as they are, in particular the second. Both, to me, give a distinct sense of ' Cold '. An element that could be easily lost.
Regards, Mike.

" Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst "
Henri Cartier - Bresson.

(Feb 25, 2016, 03:26)Jocko Wrote:  I resize all my images so that the largest edge is 916 pixels. If you look at the data on the bar below most images it says resized to 916 x ??? so I just do it before uploading. Philip resizes his for a max height of 900 pixels but I have my software (ACDSee 19) set so that batch resize gives 916 for the largest dimension. Saves me messing about.

john, I think 900 pixels for maximum image height is about right and, although I used to set the maximum width of uploads to 900 pixels, a few months back I decided to increase to a maximum width of 1400 pixels.

When clicking on an image in these forums, I would guess that maxima of 900px height and 1400px width are probably suitable for displaying a good size screen image, for enjoyment and/or critique, on a typical computer monitor.

Cheers.
Philip

Apologies Jane. Put it down to a " Senior Moment ". Just noticed that I have given you a new name ( John ) in my earlier post.
Regards, Mike.

" Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst "
Henri Cartier - Bresson.

Philip. 900 for height works great. On my monitor 916 also works fine. However, 1400 for the width, is automatically resized to 916 by the forum UNLESS you click on the bar to see the bigger image. I don't, and because of my slow broadband, large images take an age to load - especially if there is a page of them.
If I am uploading an image for others, to download and play with, I go for the maximum size I can, allowing for the 1Mb max.

(Feb 25, 2016, 01:05)caveman Wrote:  [Image: sosp4p.jpg]

Thank you for your input Caveman. I like the sky in the footsteps photo, although overall I feel it has a tinge of red. The black and white image works well, making it look like an old photo.
Regards Jane

(Feb 25, 2016, 06:11)Browser Mike Wrote:  Apologies Jane. Put it down to a " Senior Moment ". Just noticed that I have given you a new name ( John ) in my earlier post.
Regards, Mike.

Ha ha Smile an easy mistake to make when there are several comments. Thank you for your kind comment. I tried messing with post processing, but didn't want to lose the feel of cold, as you say.
Regards Jane

(Feb 25, 2016, 01:41)Jocko Wrote:  Nice images. All I would do is up the saturation a bit, to show it was the rising sun.

Your take of my image works for me Smile, I like the way the sunrise comes through without losing the mist. I also have the same problem with my images not being as colourful once I have posted. Thank you for all your comments.
Regards Jane

(Feb 25, 2016, 06:46)snaphappy Wrote:  
(Feb 25, 2016, 01:05)caveman Wrote:  [Image: sosp4p.jpg]

Thank you for your input Caveman. I like the sky in the footsteps photo, although overall I feel it has a tinge of red. The black and white image works well, making it look like an old photo.
Regards Jane

Big Grin can do 'old' can't do colour very wellBig Grin

SmileJohn

I set longest side to 2000 Pxls, and, file size to just under 1Mb. Has to be a combination. Tried a 3000/4000 Pxl, and kept the File size under 1Mb, but would not post. Ed.

To each his own!

Different. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

(Feb 25, 2016, 06:19)Jocko Wrote:  .....1400 for the width, is automatically resized to 916 by the forum UNLESS you click on the bar to see the bigger image.....

Just to add, for John and everyone, when the Forum has scaled down an image, I prefer to click on the image rather than the bar. The image then opens in its own separate window, which I can then make full screen.

1400px wide is a good size for my screen to give a good view of the image, although I can understand that, for some members, to transfer this larger size image via a poor Internet connection might be tediously slow.

Cheers.
Philip

[Image: 5uqvi9.jpg]

one more timeHuh

SmileJohn

Clicks with me, cheers. Ed.

To each his own!

That one looks good.

(Feb 25, 2016, 14:20)caveman Wrote:  [Image: 5uqvi9.jpg]

one more timeHuh

Yes Smile I like this one SmileSmile
Jane

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Eddy Canon
Jan 16, 2016, 10:02
Last Post by gerainte
Jan 5, 2014, 16:17