Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Photo Share - Railways

Real interesting loco, Craig. Oil fired steam locos were common in areas without ready supplies of coal. Once locos got bigger, wood ceased to be a practical fuel due to the huge bulk for not a lot of energy.

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

Simply love the clarity and definition and colour rendition of your rail images, Craig. Some of the best. Jeff

Here is a loco that is currently in pieces, being restored, as it has been for a number of years. This shot was taken in the 80's, at Boat of Garten, on the Strathspey Railway. This is a 2-6-0 Ivatt, mixed traffic engine, built in Crewe in 1950 and allocated to the Scottish Region.

Hey John and all, Here's a shot taken from the Peru rail Andean Express as we passed Juliaca Station January 2014. Looks pretty ancient to me. What do you make of it?

Cheers Jeff

Attached Files Image(s)

Great photo, Jeff. That is a Beyer Peacock 2-8-0 (Consolidation) built in Gorton Foundry, Manchester. It is one of 12 similar locos, built in 1950, for the Peruvian Corporation Ltd.
I'll have to go. My anorak is about to come out of the wash.

Here is another image from July 1970, of a coal train from Seafield Colliery, heading for Longannet Power Station. Seafield is now a housing estate, and Longannet was switched off in the last week.
A version of this image won me a club competition, back in the early 70's.

More good shots from John and Jeff - thank you.

That last one of the coal trucks is a good composition, John. Perhaps you might consider cloning out the road vehicles?

Cheers.
Philip

A couple of electrics here, captured last August near St Albans station in Hertfordshire. I kept this shot as it looks like a mismatched race although, of course, the two trains are going in opposite directions!

[Sony A6000 at ISO 100 in Aperture Priority Mode; Sony E 16-50 zoom at 31mm and f/6.3; shutter 1/250s; JPEG image from camera edited in PaintShop Pro X8.]

Cheers.
Philip

If I had taken it today I probably would have done. Back then it wasn't an option. The thing about the road vehicles is they testify to when it was taken. Particularly the old car with it's chrome bumpers. Looks like an old Mk II Cortina estate.

Great image Philip. Electrified routes are rather uncommon up here in Scotland. It is still the home of the Diesel.

Here is a photograph that gives a slice of railway history. In 1847 the first station was opened in Burntisland, and this building was the main concourse. I believe it was built to resemble the concourse of Haymarket Station in Edinburgh. At that time, passengers would cross by ferry from the south, then catch their train, northwards, through Fife. The station platforms backed up against this building, as it was then a terminus. In 1850, the worlds first Roll On Roll Off railway ferry was built between Granton and Burntisland, which meant passengers could travel by train directly from Edinburgh, through Burntisland, to the North. It was one such train that plunged into the Tay, in December 1879, with the collapse of the first Tay Bridge.
In 1890, with the opening of the Forth Bridge, a new, slightly higher level though station was built, and the terminus station was no longer required. It continued to be used as the station concourse, and when I was a lad, the parcels office was here along with general station offices. As you can see it was in a state of disrepair, back in 2003 when this photo was taken. It was up for sale, but as a listed building I don't think there was a lot of interest. Google's 2009 Street View still shows it boarded up, but I know that since then, the properties to the left of the entrance (not shown in my photo) have been done up.

Here is a much more modern image. This shows 43367 "Deltic 50 1955-2005" HST Class 43 southbound into Kirkcaldy station. This is the standard, express passenger, around here. The picture was taken about 18 months ago.

Nikon D80, 70-300 mm lens, 1/250 sec, f5.6, ISO 250, 105 mm lens equivalent

Is the wee thing at the front, a train. Ed.

To each his own!

(Mar 29, 2016, 00:47)Jocko Wrote:  Great photo, Jeff. That is a Beyer Peacock 2-8-0 (Consolidation) built in Gorton Foundry, Manchester. It is one of 12 similar locos, built in 1950, for the Peruvian Corporation Ltd.
I'll have to go. My anorak is about to come out of the wash.

Thanks for excellent knowledge and information John, I have wondered about that rust bucket for two years and now I know. You need the Andean Express Arequipa to somewhere, maybe Cusco I think, to go through Juliaca. One of the world's best ever tourist experiences, you won't regret selling one of your cars (or one of your photos?) to pay for the trip. Of all the countries I've travelled, I would certainly recommend Peru. Enjoy your trip and back heaps of travel photos....Jeff

Andean Express at 10 minute stop La Raya somewhere up there...

Attached Files Image(s)

Here is a Photo of A4 Pacific "Bittern" Crossing the A10 at Foxton on the Cambridge Branch from KX on the 19/12/2009. Pentax K10D 1/500sec, f9.5, ISO200
I wanted to capture the Signal Box and the old Station House as these may be demolished in the future as there is talk about putting a flyover in at this point, I had to crop out another photographer who was wearing a nice new Orange High Vis jacket,
I am convinced these people are placed there just to ruin everyone elses photo's it's really not necessary to wear them on public property.Huh

We Photographers deal in things which are continually Vanishing and when they have vanished, there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again. We cannot develope and print a memory.
                 Henri Cartier Bresson
Doug

(Mar 30, 2016, 05:49)Jocko Wrote:  Here is a much more modern image. This shows 43367 "Deltic 50 1955-2005" HST Class 43 southbound into Kirkcaldy station. This is the standard, express passenger, around here. The picture was taken about 18 months ago.

Nikon D80, 70-300 mm lens, 1/250 sec, f5.6, ISO 250, 105 mm lens equivalent

Hi Jocko

I'm a bit Confused when I worked on the East Coast Mainline The Deltics were Class 55
with two 36 cylinder Napier Deltic Engines on board ! so I wonder what the Plaque is refering to ?

We Photographers deal in things which are continually Vanishing and when they have vanished, there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again. We cannot develope and print a memory.
                 Henri Cartier Bresson
Doug

This Photo is of Q6 leaving Hogworts !!! err! Adensfield !!! Err! Oh! yes Goathland Station, North Yorkshire Moors Rlwy 12/07/2015 Pentax K5, f11, 1/200sec, ISO400

Henri Cartier Bresson
Doug

Hi Dougson. and welcome. Nice image of the most famous engine on film, after 4472 and Thomas. With reference to the Deltic plaque, I found this:

In commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the entry into service of DP1 Deltic in 2005, GNER, in conjunction with the DPS, renamed Class 43 High Speed Train power car 43167 as Deltic 50 1955-2005. Deltic 50 1955-2005 was originally in service on British Rail's Western Region, then on Great Western, before being transferred to GNER .

43167 was renumbered 43367 when it moved to Virgin Trains and has obviously remained with that number.

Just spotted the shot of Bittern. Brilliant. The snow just sets it off. Loco is obviously at full pelt (or as full pelt as they are allowed these days).
I am preparing for 4472 to visit Fife next month, and the problem is getting a place to shoot, avoiding the dreaded Hi Vis jackets. I also think they should weld all the carriage windows shut to prevent the myriad of heads sticking out.

(Apr 3, 2016, 01:23)Jocko Wrote:  Just spotted the shot of Bittern. Brilliant. The snow just sets it off. Loco is obviously at full pelt (or as full pelt as they are allowed these days).
I am preparing for 4472 to visit Fife next month, and the problem is getting a place to shoot, avoiding the dreaded Hi Vis jackets. I also think they should weld all the carriage windows shut to prevent the myriad of heads sticking out.

Good Morning Jocko
Ha! Ha! They could fix scythes close to the carriages that might stop them !!
Thanks for the comment yes Bittern was cracking on about 70 ish but it was nice of them to send a EMU ahead so I could check all was well first.
Now that's what I call service.

Henri Cartier Bresson
Doug

(Apr 3, 2016, 01:23)Jocko Wrote:  Just spotted the shot of Bittern. Brilliant. The snow just sets it off. Loco is obviously at full pelt (or as full pelt as they are allowed these days).

Me too - wonderful action shot, and what a great trail of thick white cloud billowing from the loco.

Cheers.
Philip

As you can see from this footplate shot of 60009, the A4's are limited to 75 mph and 45 mph, tender first.

Nikon D80, 1/60 sec, f5, ISO 250, 78mm lens equivalent.

(Apr 2, 2016, 15:10)Dougson Wrote:  Here is a Photo of A4 Pacific "Bittern" Crossing the A10 at Foxton on the Cambridge Branch from KX on the 19/12/2009.

Lovely shot! More please :-)

(Apr 3, 2016, 03:04)MrB Wrote:  

Me too - wonderful action shot, and what a great trail of thick white cloud billowing from the loco.

Cheers.
Philip

Thanks Phillip.

Henri Cartier Bresson
Doug

Oliver Cromwell Passes under the A11 at Six Mile Bottom a nice stretch of line that has no overhead lines.I,m sorry I'm posting this from my iPad and don't have immediate access to metadata on here but when err! Indoors gets off my Computer I will remedy that.

Henri Cartier Bresson
Doug