Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A Flock of Dragons

This was taken last year at Duxford Museum as a Dragon Rapide takes off for a site seeing circuit of the area.
I had seen a photo of a King fisher taking off and landing on a perch with about 10 photo's as it makes it's way to the perch.
And as this aircraft took off I saw this vision in my mind of how it was done and this is the result.

We Photographers deal in things which are continually Vanishing and when they have vanished, there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again. We cannot develope and print a memory.
                 Henri Cartier Bresson
Doug

Put a wingtip on the last one! Ed.

To each his own!

Great photo. Take it the camera was on a tripod.

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

(Apr 6, 2016, 08:38)Jocko Wrote:  Great photo. Take it the camera was on a tripod.

Yes mate it was. Thanks !

We Photographers deal in things which are continually Vanishing and when they have vanished, there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again. We cannot develope and print a memory.
                 Henri Cartier Bresson
Doug

(Apr 6, 2016, 08:12)EdMak Wrote:  Put a wingtip on the last one! Ed.

Hi Ed
Err! I've been looking but I can't see one that fell off. ?Big Grin

Henri Cartier Bresson
Doug

Found the bits.

(Apr 6, 2016, 10:39)Jocko Wrote:  Found the bits.

Oh ! The crows. Ha! Ha!

Henri Cartier Bresson
Doug

No. The port wing-tips of the RH shot of the plane.

I would have given a bit more room. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

I'll have to re-visit the original files and see if there's more room on the right hand side of the image as at the moment you can see the join in the sky and two indentical clouds I have two other versions of this with different aircraft but the program won't stitch them evenly so I don't get an even spread of Catalinas across the picture.
I guess it's still a work in progress, if all else fails I'll just go back and reshoot it, they'll be getting the aircraft out ready for testing for this seasons shows soon.

Henri Cartier Bresson
Doug

Love the old de Havilands, these things were one of the first commuter planes, they saw service all over the world. This is prbably the one that is based out of Berkshire. Sadly less than 5 of these left air worthy last time I was researching them.

Doug. Line the Catalinas up, manually, in a series of layers. Then, keeping the background layer, erase all but the aircraft on each of the other layers. Once flattened the image will be great. That is actually how I thought you had done the Rapides.

Try the Patch Tool to eliminate my errors? Ed.

To each his own!

Perhaps an easier way, is to segregate the Plane, I chose 2nd from left, more surround, clean with Background Eraser Tool, this is not 100% clean, time, and a small file size, pixelates when zooming in, but does all I want to show what I mean, doubtful if the average person would see this anyway. Now duplicate, the Layer as many times as you want, position any way/where as you wish, even use a different background, London Airport!? More flexibility than the programme you used perhaps. This pic is definitely OTT. Wish I was near you. Cheers. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

(Apr 6, 2016, 17:34)EnglishBob Wrote:  Love the old de Havilands, these things were one of the first commuter planes, they saw service all over the world. This is prbably the one that is based out of Berkshire. Sadly less than 5 of these left air worthy last time I was researching them.

Hi Craig
There are two in regular use, based in Duxford they do flights over London and alongside a Spitfire around the airfield for 15 mins if you have £400 in change in your pocket.

Henri Cartier Bresson
Doug

(Apr 7, 2016, 07:06)EdMak Wrote:  Perhaps an easier way, is to segregate the Plane, I chose 2nd from left, more surround, clean with Background Eraser Tool, this is not 100% clean, time, and a small file size, pixelates when zooming in, but does all I want to show what I mean, doubtful if the average person would see this anyway. Now duplicate, the Layer as many times as you want, position any way/where as you wish, even use a different background, London Airport!? More flexibility than the programme you used perhaps. This pic is definitely OTT. Wish I was near you. Cheers. Ed.

Hi Ed
I'm using Lightroom & Elements 8 although I've just acquired Elements 14

But I quit like the formation flying I might suggest that to them for their next display !!!! Lol

Henri Cartier Bresson
Doug

(Apr 7, 2016, 00:57)Jocko Wrote:  Doug. Line the Catalinas up, manually, in a series of layers. Then, keeping the background layer, erase all but the aircraft on each of the other layers. Once flattened the image will be great. That is actually how I thought you had done the Rapides.

Hi John
Ah! No that's not how I did it, in the photo of the Kingfisher that I saw every image was different to the previous one, which is why it bugged me for some time as it wasn't simple cut and paste.
Then it hit me that if I took a photo of the Dragon at each area in the frame and noted in my mind where each Dragon needs to be in the frame then exposed each in turn manually "I don't like turning on motor drive and pushing the button " it doesn't mean you get the aircraft where you want it, instead you have to practice on moving targets and get the delay between your eye and your finger correct.
Once you batch process in Lightroom then in Elements cut each image into vertical strips leaving a bit of background in each one to overlap then stitch those together in Panorama. Simples if you look at the image closely all the props are different as is the perspective of each aircraft. It's easy but it makes people think ( how do you do that ) Regards Doug

Henri Cartier Bresson
Doug

Doug, here is a Link to the PSD I created, sure you will be able to open it with your software, it's 18Mb. Cheers. Ed.

https://app.box.com/s/ueu1li0jv610du7w6fzk5tbmuw1t3zf5

To each his own!

(Apr 7, 2016, 10:05)EdMak Wrote:  Doug, here is a Link to the PSD I created, sure you will be able to open it with your software, it's 18Mb. Cheers. Ed.

https://app.box.com/s/ueu1li0jv610du7w6fzk5tbmuw1t3zf5

Thanks Ed
I'll have a look when I get back from Norwich after work tomorrow, meanwhile I'll post some more up later I really need to do some housekeeping I have loads of aircraft which I'll never use for whatever reason.
Regards Doug
P.S off to walk my two dogs as they are plating their legs. !

Henri Cartier Bresson
Doug

Video 

(Apr 7, 2016, 09:54)Dougson Wrote:  in the photo of the Kingfisher that I saw every image was different to the previous one, which is why it bugged me for some time as it wasn't simple cut and paste.
Then it hit me that if I took a photo of the Dragon at each area in the frame and noted in my mind where each Dragon needs to be in the frame then exposed each in turn manually "I don't like turning on motor drive and pushing the button " it doesn't mean you get the aircraft where you want it, instead you have to practice on moving targets and get the delay between your eye and your finger correct.
Once you batch process in Lightroom then in Elements cut each image into vertical strips leaving a bit of background in each one to overlap then stitch those together in Panorama. Simples if you look at the image closely all the props are different as is the perspective of each aircraft. It's easy but it makes people think ( how do you do that ) Regards Doug
You misunderstand me. The procedure I am talking about you take a series of different photographs, as you did. You then line up the sequence of photographs, as you wish. One photograph to each layer. You the erase the out of sync back ground from each photograph, leaving only the aircraft. Once the layers are flattened you have the finished image. See this YouTube video.
https://youtu.be/j64xjfQun08

Sorry ! I'm with you, that's an interesting way I'd not thought about before. Thanks for that John I'll give that a go at the week end, that four letter word "work" is calling for tomorrow.

Regards Doug

Henri Cartier Bresson
Doug

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EdMak
Aug 29, 2013, 01:39