Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Evening

A recent assignment (during May) at the photo club was an evening shoot in the old part of the town. Here are a few taken with my Pentax K-5 IIs and the 18-55mm kit zoom lens:

1. The Parish Church:

[ ISO=200; f=18mm; Av=f/4.5; Tv=1/30s; +1 EV ]

2. The open market hall under the Town Hall:

[ ISO=3200; f=21mm; Av=f/5.6; Tv=1/100s; -1 EV ]

3. The upper floors of the old Bell Inn:

[ ISO=640; f=31mm; Av=f/5.6; Tv=1/160s ]

4. An old-style lamp post:

[ ISO=320 f=55mm; Av=f/5.6; Tv=1/50s; +1 EV ]

5. Part of the Old High Street:

[ ISO=1600 f=33mm; Av=f/5.6; Tv=1/160s ]

[ All shots hand-held; JPEG files from the camera; adjustments made in PaintShop Pro X8 ]

Cheers.
Philip

A nice collection of photographs and a nice low-noise sensor. Well done.

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

Great series, think my favourite is the market hall, great depth and perspective.

Super set of pics. Ed.

To each his own!

Many thanks, John, Craig and Ed. Smile

Cheers.
Philip

Hi Phllip
I like the Market Hall the most,
I just wondered why these were all taken in jpeg ! Do you never use Raw !
If you had Lightroom you could tweek the Church with the clarity slider to give it a lift
And if it was shot in Raw you could produce three exposures from the original and combine them in Photomatix and that would improve the flat grey sky by giving it some structure and also giving the Masonry a bit of a boost.

We Photographers deal in things which are continually Vanishing and when they have vanished, there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again. We cannot develope and print a memory.
                 Henri Cartier Bresson
Doug

Thank you, Doug - the market hall is my favourite, and it was given third place by the judge that evening.

Thank you for your other comments, and I do have a very clear understanding. I hardly ever find raw files to be necessary, so I'm usually happy with full-size high-quality (low compression) JPEG files - 'To each his own!'. The light was quite low for the church shot, so it is probably already brighter than it should be. Other than exposure, the sky wasn't a concern, as the interest for me is in the magnificent spire - apparently one of the tallest church spires in Europe.

Cheers.
Philip

I never use RAW. Ed.

To each his own!