Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

guitar picks?

Would someone be able to tell me what the difference is between using different guitar picks (thin, medium, thick etc). Is it a personal prefrence thing or does it have an affect on the sound produced?

At the moment I use Fender thin guitar picks

Since light travels faster than sound,
people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Just an observation - when I use a soft pick on my accoustic, I find it harder to play as the pick bends more. I've since switched to a medium thickness and my accuracy (hitting the right strings) has improved... it's also easier to play louder. Big Grin

Just my $0.02 worth - I'm no expert...

^^ I noticed that as well when picking with the thin pics i really have to 'dig' the string to get a loud sound from it.

Maybe i'll get me some medium pics!!

Yes I have found the same thing. Light picks do nothing for me, so I only use medium to heavy picks.

You can always choose to pick gently with heavier picks, but you can only pick so hard with light ones before you shred your pick and fingers...

I once read in a Tommy Emmanuel interview that he uses the heavy picks, and he even went as far as to say if you have light ones, throw them away and switch to heavy ones!

God has placed me on earth to accomplish certain things.
Right now, I am so far behind that I will never die.

hrm...... thing is i bought a box of 12 Fender thin picks

*thinks to himself* "maybe if i glue two thins together i'll get a medium pick..........?"

Put the thin picks up as a giveaway in the next Shuttertalk competition... Then go and buy some real picks you girly man, hahahaa.... Big Grin

hahah!
When playing electric guitar, I always use Jazz III, I'd say they are versatile can use for soloing, strumming, very nice to use.
For acoustic guitar, I've found that using a thinner pick (~0.60) gives me a nicer sound as I don't hear the clicking of the pick hitting the strings (I've played acoustic guitar using 'stubbies' before, hahaha)

Reviving an old thread from the dead:

I really like the thin Dunlop nylons (.60s and .73s). They have texture and don't slip, and I like the little bit of extra twang I get from them. I am a fairly light picker/strummer, and find that the heavier picks darken the tone too much for my taste. I do have some medium Fenders that I use on my electric for more of a jazzy/bluesy sound though.

With that in mind, I have nine unused 1mm Dunlop Tortex (standard) picks that I would like to give away to someone who will get good use out of them. These are the remaining 9 from a 12-pack that I had purchased a while ago. You pay postage from the US to whereever you are in the world and they are yours. Can't imagine that it would cost too much to send via airmail. Anyone interested?

there is definitley a use for thin picks. It does relate to playing styles and preference. If your playing lead with a stlye that relies on accurate clarity and distinction between notes you will most likely prefer a thick pick. If you play a rythm style where you like a smooth sound and chords that blend well, you may prefer something thinner. Especially if your playing an acoustic that is amplified. Myself. I always use the thickest pick I can get my hands on. On acoustic I play a flat pick bluegass style that requires volume and clean notes. On electric I play everything from driving country rock to classic rock. Everything is almost always intense with me. The thicker the pick the more passion and feel I can convey. I've learned over the years to be dynamic with a thick pick. I can scream with or I can take a mellow ballad and can make it mellow and smooth. I just can't see picking up different picks for different songs.
I have seen other players take a paper thin soft pick and make it whail. I just don't know how they do it. Everyone has thier own styles and preferences. I say do what feels comfortable and if it sounds good to you, don't worry what someone else does.
When ever I teach I always try to encourage the music student to express thier styles and preferences.

Canon 20D
24-70L 2.8
580EX

Yes.

Cave canem

Rufus Wrote:Yes.

PM me with your mailing address.

Saturday was the first time I broke a pick,
It was a soft one, a 0.50mm one,
I can't use any thinner picks, can't hear and don't think I can feel/control it as much.

A long time has passed, and I'm still using Jazz III's. yum

I can't remember when, but I started using Dunlop Tortex picks and never looked back. They've got a nice matte feel to them and they strangely become smooth after you've had them for a while - I never realised how abrasive the skin on my thumb was.... Rolleyes

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by NT73
Oct 19, 2011, 06:26