Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Deleting photos in the camera

I read a post by Jacco where he mentioned deleting photos from the camera to make space as the card was full and wanted to make room for keepers. I used to do this also but found that there were times I'd dowload the images from the card to my computer and there would be a file or two that ended up being corrupt. I have heard of this happening before to other people and I am just wondering if anyone here has experienced the same. I have since made it a rule to never under any cercumstances delete from the camera as important images could be lost.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

I chimp and delete with great frequency and have never had a corrupt RAW image. However, I do remember having had a few corrupt JPEGs in the past. Not sure what the circumstances were though.

I do it often with JPEGs, no corruption. Which camera are you using again? Maybe it's camera specific?

I know my sister in law's Olympus made the whole card corrupt once - but not sure how that happened.

I delete from the camera all the time, both jpg and raw and have never had an issue on the rebel.

I use the Drebel. Maybe the fact I ended up with corrupt files had to do with something else. Funny though, It hasn't happened since I stopped.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

A better option when you're out shooting is to have more memory cards than you' think you'll need.

Buy several medium sized cards and swap them when full. When you get home again you can delete, save, print etc.

I recently chatted to a fellow that missed many great oppertunities aat the Grand Prix because he was busy deleting pics in his camera. I could not work out why he had a $1,000.00 camera and only one card?

What difference is there between deleting on camera and reformatting card on camera.
What do I gain/lose by it. I have never yet formatted a card. My wife formats hers after a session (maybe 100/200 pics.)

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

I always delete after a session on my 400D, but not before I download to my computer, so far - so good Tongue

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

This article explains many things:
http://theonlinephotographer.blogspot.co...xpert.html

Thanks a lot for the link Keith...
Before I had lightroom, I had a donwloader Program, It downloaded the pictures to a file and deleted from the card. Now with lightroom I don't have this... and it is really sad, because I have to format the card in my camera everytime I use the card again, or go to the file and delete the file in the computer.

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

I dont delete any shots until i look at them on the PC . Just a habbit i got into so i can really see what i did wrong . But i do format on a reagular basis . Just to get the old files off the card . i will read that link later when i have had more coffee LOL ......

........ Shawn

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

Irma, I stopped using any downloading software whatsoever. to slow and cumbersome. I use a €10 card reader and windows explorer.
Usually I try fill my cards (1x 2GB, 1x 4GB) all the way, as I have heard repetedly formating a half full card will not contribute to the lifetime of your card (you use the same physical part of the card over and over, whereas other parts are left unused. But once I have downloaded my pics and viewed them, if I run out of space on an outing I can delete old files.
No corruption seen so far.

I had this same problem when I first got my camera, Rebel xt, and quickly learned not to delete in camera. I learned this on my return from a trip to Rome :mad: :mad: :mad: - several corupt files and even some double(?) exposures.

I also had a problem with a card I thought had "died", I could not get it to work in camera - would just seem to "lock up" and not let me do anything just kept flashing busy...busy...busy ... (using another card everything was o.k. so was not the camera) and then a friend sugessted to remove the card, remove the batteries from the camera and let it sit for 20-30 mins. et voila! everything was back to normal, alowing me to download then reformat the card. (and managing to save the files).

(by the way thanks to everyone who posts on this site, I have learned so much, your collected knowledge is such an asset!!!) Thanks

"A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of." – Ogden Nash

After all this about cards, I feel so bad and careless... My cards don't go to the washing machine just because I check my pockes before put them in.... They are always laying around without protection... Sad

Uli, I used to work all the time with my 2G cards even if I just take 3 pictures in the studio, download them, and delete them from the card... I think I will use the 256mb to work at home and leave the others just for outdoors.

Thanks for the comment... Smile

Craig that was really funny, I never would have thought it would be the way to get back your pictures. Thanks for your comment as well.

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

With the Canon 350D I down load to PC and then with camera unhooked from USB I delete all.
I will read Keiths link first. Thanks.

Have now read most of it and it seems that what is good for one person is not for another.
i.e. 'they all beg to differ'
So temporarily I will do as I have been doing..Wink

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

I can't remember what camera I was using back then, but I still regularly delete-in camera with my Nikon D50 without any problems (touch wood):

- I delete single images in-camera when I've been fooling around or I know for sure I'm not happy with the shot
- I take the memory card out and then download them using my laptop's SD card reader
- I put it back into the camera, then do a "format" to clear it of pics

I don't use my PC to format, delete or edit images from the card - I try to keep it strictly read only to avoid doing anything the camera might not like...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post