Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What do you think of Saturday services?

My church is moving to Saturday services. Yes, not adding a Saturday service, but moving completely from Sunday morning to Saturday night. Emphasis will be different - trying to focus more on youth...

I think it will be quite different not worshipping on Sundays and will take some getting used to. But I welcome the change too - looking forward to the potential and opportunities.

What do you people think?

Just seen this thread, but must go out; so................

BUMP!

Big Grin

Cave canem

Here it seems pretty comnon for churches to offer both, haven't heard of one just doing Saturday though!

In the car business the guys work Sunday mornings, though at our dealership people are allowed to come in late if they attend church. Saturday services make sense for those that cannot make Sunday's.

Yes, both is common. Never seen just saturday night before.

That's going to appeal to more youth? Saturday night? Who's kidding who?

slejhamer Wrote:That's going to appeal to more youth? Saturday night? Who's kidding who?

Hm... our train of thought was that there was a better chance of youth coming on a Saturday night than on a Sunday morning, when they're most likely sleeping in. Big Grin

We've also got some youth activities like basketball and XBOX stuff running before the service to try to draw them in.

I'll keep you posted on how it goes... Big Grin

Wow! Reminds me of how they took the lords prayer from our public schools. I can't say I'd agree with that. If I belonged to such a church I'd be inclined to move on. Sunday is the sabbath. Isn't that the day we're supposed to go to church? I mean, it's fine and all to go to a Saturday service but in my understanding Sunday is a must.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Will God really mind? I don't think so, perhaps he might be happy that some are trying?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

The Sabbath was given to Israel, not the church. The Sabbath is still Saturday, not Sunday, and has never been changed. But the Sabbath is part of the Old Testament Law, and Christians are free from the bondage of the Law (Galatians 4:1-26; Romans 6:14). Sabbath keeping is not required of the Christian—be it Saturday or Sunday. The first day of the week, Sunday, the Lord's Day (Revelation 1:10) celebrates the New Creation, with Christ as our resurrected Head. We are not obligated to follow the Mosaic Sabbath—resting, but are now free to follow the risen Christ—serving. The Apostle Paul said that each individual Christian should decide whether to observe a Sunday Sabbath, “One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind” (Romans 14:5).” We are to worship God every day, not just on Saturday or Sunday.

Hey mytwopenceworth - agree totally.

We had our service today by the way. I thought it went well - had a few visitors more than usual - mostly friends of the youth. But I'm buggered now though, music practice was at 4pm, service started at 7pm and we had some youth activities in between. Probably finished around 9pm...

Hey

Well i think the change to Saturday is really good.
Because more Kids tend to stay up late and sleep in on Sundays.
Where as on Saturdays you can go to the church listen join in on the stuff and still stay up late after the church service.

So i think that was a really good idea.
But it would also be good it was on Sunday as well beacuse my Church Blackburn north Baptist has a service on saturday and Sunday and Lots of people come. But genarrly the ol people come on Sundays because its more traditional

mytwopenceworth Wrote:The Sabbath was given to Israel, not the church. The Sabbath is still Saturday, not Sunday, and has never been changed. But the Sabbath is part of the Old Testament Law, and Christians are free from the bondage of the Law (Galatians 4:1-26; Romans 6:14). Sabbath keeping is not required of the Christian—be it Saturday or Sunday. The first day of the week, Sunday, the Lord's Day (Revelation 1:10) celebrates the New Creation, with Christ as our resurrected Head. We are not obligated to follow the Mosaic Sabbath—resting, but are now free to follow the risen Christ—serving. The Apostle Paul said that each individual Christian should decide whether to observe a Sunday Sabbath, “One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind” (Romans 14:5).” We are to worship God every day, not just on Saturday or Sunday.

My understanding is that we aren't free from the laws. Just free from the condemnation that befalls us at are inability to keep those laws. The only way we are saved is through Jesus Christ. A gift. A day of rest is a command for our own good. I can see no evidence that it must be a particular day. Saturday service sounds good to me. I can see it being such a radical change that some congregation memebers would be tempted to move on.

Canon 20D
24-70L 2.8
580EX

American Boy Wrote:Hey

Well i think the change to Saturday is really good.
Because more Kids tend to stay up late and sleep in on Sundays.
Where as on Saturdays you can go to the church listen join in on the stuff and still stay up late after the church service.

Yes, that's the primary reason whe shifted - to focus more on youth. I think it's working, generally speaking.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post