Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

At the going down of the sun let us remember!

[Image: reflections-1.jpg]

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Beautiful landscape picture Pete. The reflection is gorgeous!

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

I like it like it is but ummed and arrrrrded about cropping but could not think of where to crop.

Albert Einstein

It happened the same to me when I saw it, but I didn't know where to crop, if any Smile

Paul Cezanne

Thanks Pete, hope you like it.

[Image: reflections-1i.jpg]

Paul Cezanne

No, I think I like the full size better one better because I know that area quite well and it does not look right. I know that the sky is a bit bright so I might adjust just that.

Here is another one I took tonight.

[Image: reflections-2.jpg]

Albert Einstein

You are right, I cropped a bit of the sky because I found it a bit bright. So you are living in that paradise??? Lucky you! This is wonderful! Smile

Paul Cezanne

Both shots were taken from the same place, one facing east, the other facing west.

Albert Einstein

Lovely colours and reflection Pete! I like the image as is... no cropping necessary in my book. Big Grin

Thanks mate, still it's a pity that the top is a bit bright, will have another look and play I think.

Albert Einstein

What about this one? I have taken a few things out and done a slight crop to get rid of a bit of that blown sky.

[Image: reflections-3jpg.jpg]

Albert Einstein

I love the original pete... leave it alone! it doesn't need *anything* done to it.

The crop is excellent and I really like the blow-out in the sky. It makes me think of a spotlight shining down on the trees. I think there is enough detail in the sky (and the reflection of the sky) to make it work, and you haven't totally blown it out anyway. I think it gives the image a really original feel to it, and the exposure is perfect for the rest of the image anyway.
The vertical lines of the trees with their reflection contrast nicely with the horizontal lines of the horizon and shoreline, the green and yellow leaves are just wonderful together, and the reflection itself is, as Irma puts it, gorgeous.

Forget about the "rule" of not blowing out skies... sometimes it just works!

I think this is one of my favourites from you mate. Smile I can't quite put my finger on why, but it is the kind of landscape that I find quite memorable.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Kombisaurus Wrote:I love the original pete... leave it alone! it doesn't need *anything* done to it.

My thoughts exactly... I think it breaks most of the "rules" in the book - subject dead centre, horizon running through the middle, but rules are meant to be broken, and this one just works. I think this one is definitely frame worthy. Big Grin

Sorry couldn't help myself. Really liked the photo and tried to focus on that wonderful reflection. A natural watercolour?[Image: dreamy_trees_web.jpg]

With all teh changes I still prefer the original, what is that place?

Yeah I agree with EnglishBob, the orginal one is where its at. I reckon the blown sky actually helps abit in focusing attention to the reflection.

Both of the originals I like the best. Normally, you would not put your main subject dead center as it does not give the viewer any reason to look out - in this case the river bank draws the viewer's eye to the edge of the photo, and the reflection draws your eye down - only problem is nothing draws your eye up..

Irma's crop demonstrates rule of thirds nicely. Is it better than the original? Maybe - maybe not. I think that I would crop half to two thirds of the sky away just to get the horizon out of the dreaded dead center zone and eliminate some of the blown highlight on the big cloud.

[Image: 40_reflections-2.jpg]

But I really don't mind the center position of the subject horizontally - this is a good time when it is good to break the rules. This photo really doesn't need anything else - well done!

I like both Toad's and Irma's efforts... but the original is still the best IMHO.

sorry guys.... try harder! Tongue This is a tough one to improve upon.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Thanks all. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time with the right equipment and the rest is history.

Big Grin

Albert Einstein

I have to agree with everyone on this with the original being the best but that sky is recoverable with some photoshopping. Nice scene Pete. Smile

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by blowup
Aug 9, 2008, 20:42
Last Post by shuttertalk
Mar 9, 2006, 21:21