Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Any linux users here?

Just wondering if there are any linux users here? If there are I might keep working on mt Tutorials and Guides For General (non artistic, one guess why =P) Photography related items in Linux

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10
Apple MacBook Pro 15" (Retina Display)

"What do you want to pack today?"

im a half linux user ....
i use it when i need to for university stuff ...
but i generally am accustomed to windows...

I use apples at uni Smile haha
The only time I've used linux was last time just to see what is was like, I installed it on my laptop; it seemed like a nice windows alternative, but I had windows already, and was used to it, and liked it; so didnt really want to change

I think the attraction to linux is definitely the geek factor...

It's cool to run a different OS to the mainstream, but I dunno... do you still get the flexibility /customisations / ease of use / software support of XP?

I've used redhat under vmware a bit, but just found it too cumbersome. I do a lot UNIX stuff at work, and when I need to do stuff on my PC, I use cygwin (bash shell for windows) instead.

What do you think dewy?

peter Wrote:im a half linux user ....
i use it when i need to for university stuff ...
but i generally am accustomed to windows...
Yes, that case seems quite similar to a lot of people, and all they really do in it is learn how to use the basic desktop, or is there more to it now? Would you mind telling me what exactly you use it for?

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10

adam Wrote:I use apples at uni Smile haha
*drools* Are they the new macs Running OSX? I only used these for about 1/2 hour on the last day I was at my Primary School when they upgraded their whole 'fleet' of Macs to Brand new iMacs, I was annoyed, wanted to stay another year =P
adam Wrote:The only time I've used linux was last time just to see what is was like, I installed it on my laptop; it seemed like a nice windows alternative, but I had windows already, and was used to it, and liked it; so didnt really want to change
I understand what you mean there, I used linux for about 5 times with it just installed for about a week or two then removed it, and this went on for a while, main reason was because I have what is called a 'WinModem' which is one of those Tiny AMR Modems which use the CPU and Sound card to doo all the work and I was having problems getting the Drivers to work So untill now, A friends has given me a loan of his External Modem untill his PC is repaired (I will most likely buy it from him) so I am now bascially Full Time Linux, excpet for when I Fell like playing Need For Speed Underground (Not very often).

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10

shuttertalk Wrote:I think the attraction to linux is definitely the geek factor...
Yes, Kind of, but it is starting to move a few peple because of the cost now day too as there are those who are scared of having Warez and don't want to pay $100s for software you can get Alternatives for that are free they can do every thing it does + a little mroe, and using KDE or Gone it is a very easy to use interface to linux, like my dad walked up to my coputer, opend firefox and checked his mail and didn't even know it was linux.

shuttertalk Wrote:It's cool to run a different OS to the mainstream, but I dunno... do you still get the flexibility /customisations / ease of use / software support of XP?
Customisiations: You mean GUI? Or features?
Ease of use: see me reply to your first line
Software suppor of XP: Not to sure what ou mean, but you can run most windows programs on linux using Wine, Crossover Office and WineX, I got Photoshop 7 working in Wine and it is not supposed to work in linux (sais adobe)

shuttertalk Wrote:I've used redhat under vmware a bit, but just found it too cumbersome. I do a lot UNIX stuff at work, and when I need to do stuff on my PC, I use cygwin (bash shell for windows) instead.
Cygwin can be great especially when you get the Xserver set up on it (I never got around to doing it tho) as you can run all the Linux GUIs (Desktop Envirinments) and all form Cygwin

shuttertalk Wrote:What do you think dewy?
What do you think shuttertalk? (Umm I don't relly under stand why you posted that, maybe i replied to that by my answers above?)

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10

dewy Wrote:Yes, that case seems quite similar to a lot of people, and all they really do in it is learn how to use the basic desktop, or is there more to it now? Would you mind telling me what exactly you use it for?

i use linux ad a programming environment for Java and C ...
also used it for a couple of other lagueages ..

so im down with most of the basic zsh commands ...

peter Wrote:I use linux ad a programming environment for Java and C ...
also used it for a couple of other lagueages ..
What kind of programs do you program?

peter Wrote:so im down with most of the basic zsh commands ...
So you don't use Bash? just zch (I hear that zch is more advanced)

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10

Hahah, very good dewy... I guess I haven't realy given it the time for linux to grow on me.

dewy Wrote:Customisiations: You mean GUI? Or features?
Ease of use: see me reply to your first line
Software support of XP: Not to sure what ou mean, but you can run most windows programs on linux using Wine, Crossover Office and WineX, I got Photoshop 7 working in Wine and it is not supposed to work in linux (sais adobe)

Customisations - customisations to the GUI I suppose... you can download lots of little utilities and stuff to make windows cooler. But i guess that's the same with linux too..

Software support - I was thinking plug and play devices (oops that's hardware isn't it).

How's the performance when running programs through windows emulators?

You might make a linux convert out of me yet! Smile

urmm ...
i use Xemacs ...
Kwrite ..
terminal ...

ive allso used Small talk ..
and Eiffel ...
but i doubt uve heard of those languages ...

i dont really use much else ...
i would like to know however .. how do i go about mounting my USB flash drive ...
i dont have root access either ..

peter Wrote:urmm ...
i use Xemacs ...
Kwrite ..
terminal ...

ive allso used Small talk ..
and Eiffel ...
but i doubt uve heard of those languages ...

i dont really use much else ...
i would like to know however .. how do i go about mounting my USB flash drive ...
i dont have root access either ..
Well with out root you are pretty much screwed, you need to have root access just to mouth

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10

i know ...
i oculd probably figur eout how to install it with root access..
but i dont have it ..so it sucks ...

shuttertalk Wrote:Hahah, very good dewy... I guess I haven't realy given it the time for linux to grow on me.

Customisations - customisations to the GUI I suppose... you can download lots of little utilities and stuff to make windows cooler. But i guess that's the same with linux too..

Software support - I was thinking plug and play devices (oops that's hardware isn't it).

How's the performance when running programs through windows emulators?

You might make a linux convert out of me yet! Smile
Yes you can do lots to the GUI, Icons sets & Themes are suported out of the box with most Dekstop Environments (With out hacing Shell32.dll and uxtheme.dll etc, (I recommend Gnome if you are a begginer) You can use gDesklets (iirc) for desktop widgets (Like Smaurize/Kapsules).
Linux plug and play support is probably one of the most worked on thinks in the kernel atm, there is some support but with every kernel release there is a little more plug and play in it, the main problem is none (well almost none) of the hardware companies will program their dirvers for linux, so untill they do you have to wait for a 3rd party to write one, if oyur peice of hard ware is pretty popular chances are there is one out there some where.
As for Wine Performance, I don't notice much slowdown in Wine, I have not personally used Crossover office and/or WineX, Both cost money, I am thinking of getting a 3month subscription (a subscruption lets you download all latest relases untill it runs out, you can still use it when your subscription runs out but you won't be able to get updates,to WineX to see what it is like, contact me if you use linux and are interested (I won't say any more).

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10

for some reason i like KDE better ... i dont know why ...
i also dont know much about wine ..
how much has it progressed to date in terms of support ?

arghh .. posted in the wrng spot..so i deleted it !

Yeah I used to use linux before windows XP came out

I used mandrake linux with the KDE GUI.
I used to prefer linux over windows because of its stability (i push my system very hard and windows 98/ME could not cope)

Although I could use linux I was more proficient at windows and since windows XP was released I've used linux less and less to the point I don't have it on my compute now. The main reason was because I find windows XP very stable and I can push it hard and it doesn't crash.

Since light travels faster than sound,
people appear bright until you hear them speak.

theres opnly meant to be two blue screens of death for windows XP ..
and i have successfully gotten both of them various times ..

I don't have any stability issues with windowsXP (I think), I never really PUSH it, so I feel that I don't NEED anything else (at the moment); or am I mistaken?
It's not broken, I don't need to fix it *waits for another windows update* haha

i already have Windows SP2 ...
its not that great ....

microsoft has this thing for replacing big chunks of code rather then fixing it ..
so my gates just igves auss different problems ...
i find the new firewall features annoying ..

it cant even detect the status of my norton ...

.... yet i cant live without windows..

peter Wrote:theres opnly meant to be two blue screens of death for windows XP ..
and i have successfully gotten both of them various times ..
I miss my 5 times daily (for real) BSOD I am using the screen saver that emulates the BSODs and similar for all other Operating systems, Old and new =)

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10

peter Wrote:i already have Windows SP2 ...
its not that great ....

microsoft has this thing for replacing big chunks of code rather then fixing it ..
so my gates just igves auss different problems ...
i find the new firewall features annoying ..

it cant even detect the status of my norton ...

.... yet i cant live without windows..

I personally don't like norton too much of a resource hog, good thing with linux is you don't even need a AntiVirus Program. When a bug if found in Windows instead of fixing it they replace it =P Well that is what it seems Rolleyes

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10

yeah ... replacement opens windows for new bugs ..

We learn that according to the Guarantee, it's only guaranteed to run as described for 90 days. ha! 90 days! LOL!
Doesn't bother me... I usually don't have major problems until they point it out.
and if it doesn't work, it's just a bowl of chicken rice.... (Wink)

what is meant to run as described for 90 days ?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by NT73
Feb 29, 2012, 17:34
Last Post by byrt_001
Feb 15, 2006, 05:26