Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A Crab Spider for Guerito

The wifey found this on one of our rhododendrons this-morning. We had no idea what kind of spider it was. We had never saw one like this before. I did a little searching on the web and found out it is a Crab Spider. They are considered a predator that will catch bees while pollinating flowers and eat them.

[Image: crab-spider.jpg]

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Great capture, composition and exposure!

Thanks Toad. I hate spiders but the colour of this female I thought was awesome. She's about the size of a large green pea.

My flickr images

Yeuch..... great shot, bad subject!.... another arachnaphobe here.

Excellent shot, Colin! The lighting, DOF, everything is perfect. I actually don't like spiders either, but I think they are amazing creatures. Eight legs. Is this a cruel joke of mother nature to make sure they don't drink? Big Grin

Gallery/ Flickr Photo Stream

Reality is for wimps who can't face photoshop.

Prettiest among the creepy crawlers

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Great shot Peto gotta love the creepy crawlers, great datail.
I can see where they get their name from the front part of their body looks like a gost crab!

Petographer Wrote:The wifey found this on one of our rhododendrons this-morning. We had no idea what kind of spider it was. We had never saw one like this before. I did a little searching on the web and found out it is a Crab Spider. They are considered a predator that will catch bees while pollinating flowers and eat them.

]

Nice clear shot. They can be difficult to find and see as they camouflage themselves by taking on the colour of the flower where they're hiding and waiting for their prey. They don't spin a web - just move along like a crab, hence the name, and grab and hold the prey until they kill it and extract the body fluids from it.

Their favoutite food is a Bee and I managed to get a shot of one clinging to and feeding on a Bee last year. it was hidden in a lilac flower and you can see the bee, now dead, with part of the spider's legs showing from inside the flower and clinging to the bee.

Apologies if I've posted this picci here before, or maybe it was on ADI?

[Image: crabbee550.jpg]

Polly

Hello Polly! Long time - no see.

Toad Wrote:Hello Polly! Long time - no see.

Hiya Mr Toad. I trust your knees have recovered after that long hike to Garibalidi with that strange reversed -peak-cap- wearing bird whisperer.

I'm still hobbling but musn't complain 'cos at least I'm still alive. Big Grin

Polly

ooo.. great pic Colin (and Polly too!).

That spider is quite amazing-looking.. it looks like it is carrying a big cushion or pillow on its back... and with those red-marks, well.. it might be called a Gorbachev spider! Big Grin

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Very cool shot Peto. Composition is interesting, with the vertical blades of the plant. Also the edges of the blades really look sharp! It's like the spider's walking on green knives. Cool

Thank all for your replies. Smile I must confess that the spider is on a red plastic rake. I changed the colour to a more suitable one. It wasn't meant to deceive.

My flickr images

both great shots, and you both have now freaked me out (mutters spiders)

Snownow Wrote:both great shots, and you both have now freaked me out (mutters spiders)

Thanks Snow. I'm not much of an arachnid fan either. I did find this kinda cool though. Smile

My flickr images

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Nov 7, 2015, 14:02
Last Post by EnglishBob
Apr 25, 2015, 10:34
Last Post by czkid
Jan 17, 2015, 07:58