Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Gallery Opening

As most of you probably know, my photo exhibition that ran in the month of June was a success (9 out of 15 sold). During the exhibition, I was approached by the owner of a new art gallery that wanted to represent my stuff starting in July.

Last night was the opening of that gallery - it is a lovely space, and over 300 people were in attendance. I sold one more framed photo - Bridge and Reeds - and got a lot of positive comments on my work.

My heavily manipulated digital stuff has been way more popular than the naturalistic photos in both shows - this is kind of a surprise to me. We see so much of this type of thing online that I forget that this is considered very innovative and original by a lot of the public.

I can't say that I am unhappy by this turn of events - Given a choice between making money with "artsy" stuff versus commerical, I frankly prefer the creative latitude of the art world. It comes as a huge surprise hoever - I never assumed my artsy stuff had any commercial value whatsoever - I always focussed on the commercial side.

Thanks to the forum for all your support over the years. Developing a "saleable" style is impossible without some feedback and encouragement.

Best
Toad

I am very happy for you Toad! My best wishes and success with the gallery Smile

Congratulations!! Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Woohoo Toadster! Big Grin You go girl! That doesn't fit does it? :/

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

very nice Toad!!
gives the new people to photography something to look foward too....

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

excellent ........good stuff Toad,

I hope you can keep following your own path........its got to be rewarding!!!!!!!

Cheers

It's so great to hear that Toad, and very pleased for you too! Big Grin

What you said is quite true I suppose - because we see so much digitally manipulated stuff online, we sort of become desensitised to it. However, when presented as art in an art gallery, I suppose people would tend to take it more seriously and stop to appreciate the work more... Big Grin

Man, that is sooooo awesome Rob!! I have to agree with you though, re: what sells and what is your passion. Great job!

JT

Nos an modica tantum nostri somnium
"We are limited only by our imagination"

Thanks people for all the encouragement - the gallery sold 2 more of my framed prints today.

That's 12 sales since June 1 between the 2 shows!!

Does it seem too creepy or jerky to say how thrilled I am about this?

NOT AT ALL!! I think it would be odd not to say how happy you are.

Nos an modica tantum nostri somnium
"We are limited only by our imagination"

Holy cow. I never congratulated you. I thought I did.

Hearty Congratulations. Toad!

--Don

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by NT73
Oct 19, 2011, 06:26
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Apr 1, 2011, 16:06