Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tripods and camera bags

ok so now that i a new camera ( no its not digital Sad ) . I think that i am need of another camera bag . But i need 1 that is " water proof " . Any suggestions?
And i know that i am going to need a good tripod , but i dont know what to look for in one . Can someone help me out ?

forgot to tell yall about my new ( used ) camera. Its a Canon EOS 50e ( Aka Elan II ) . it has eye control ( cant wait to play with that ) . Any comments on the good and bad on the camera ( besides its not digital ) would be nice.

Thanks Shawn........

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

There's some questions that need to be answered. What gear and how much gear do you plan on packing around with you and your camera? What kind of outings do you plan to go out on when you go to take photos. Hiking? Just around town? Taking your tri-pod with you? See, there are so many options when it comes to gear. We can all make suggestions on some really great gear but it helps to know what you'll be doing and what your preferences are. I have the Tamrac Velocity 9. You can't hook a tri-pod to it but it is a great around town back-pack style bag that allows quick access to your camera. Toad has done reviews on the Kata R-102 Photo Rucksack. A complete back-pack. You might want a shoulder style bag.

Tri-pods. Do you plan to take it with you wherever you go. Just keep it at home? One thing I can at least say is that Bogen/Manfrotto is likely the most popular and offer a wide range of styles and prices. One thing that is for sure, a quick release is a definite asset and a must.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

i guess i need to be more specific ( sp ) . I plan on taking a tripod with me most everywhere i go ( never know when ill need it ) . I will be doing a lot of shots in the " wild " , around alot of water ( and in the water ) . I want a backpack style that will hold a tripod.
I have a cheap tripod , is this good enough to take with me in the outdoors ?

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

Drake:

Please see my review of the Kata R-102 (the R-103 is the same except that it also has space for a laptop.

http://www.shuttertalk.com/articles/katar102/index.php

It is a super pack that can efficiently carry a tripod in one of 3 positions.

As far as tripods go - one of the things that I absolutely love is my tripod sling that allows me to simply wear the thing on my back (like a quiver of arrows). I often carry the tripod on the sling with my film SLR attached to it. If you use a tripod almost all of the time - which I do - because I use VERY low speed film - this is a great solution. I also carry the sling in conjunction with my R-102.

When I don't have the pack, I quite often carry the camera attached to the tripod with the the camera hanging from the sling upside down in front of me - I do this so I can keep ithe camera protected and in front of my body. I know this is totally unclear, but if you tried a sling - you would know exactly what I mean. I have a Siawarski rebadged version of this sling: http://www.buytelescopes.com/product.asp?pid=8711

I refuse to carry a tripod around in my hand - either mounted to a pack or hanging from the sling is my solution. I also refuse to carry a tripod bag - there is enough screwing around with tripods without taking it in and out of its own bag and then storing the bag somewhere while you take photos.

As for tripods themselves - buy a larger, solid one - those little light tripods are barely worth carrying. A wind or a tiny jiggle and they move, and they won't support a long lens propoerly. If you need something ultra light to carry - supplement your larger tripod with a monopod.

A good ball head is an essential for your tripod - I have this quick release head for my tripod which is a great thing for fast setups - no screwing around with multiple adjustments - press the trigger - position your camera - release the trigger to lock in place. This thing is amazing: http://www.adorama.com/BG322RC2.html

Any other questions - just ask.

thanks for all your help Toad, i am looking around at tripods . Now the bag i really like the one that you are talking about. 1 question how " water proof " is the rain fly? I know that i will be doing alot of shooting when the weather can turn on me and i dont want my gear to get wet.

I never really use the rain fly - the bag withstands Vancouver rain on its own - and that is lots of rain - so if you throw the fly on - it is sure to be good protection. One thing - the fly doesn't fit over the pack if the tripod is attached.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by canon400d
Nov 10, 2013, 04:15