Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Rule of Thirds??

will someone please explain what this is. I have seen it on here twice in a week, now i need to know. Big Grin

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

Simply put, the eye is naturally drawn to the centre of an image. As a result, its easy for you to miss some of the finer details of a photo. By placing the main subject/focus area into one of the third areas of a shot, the eye subconsciously scans the whole picture. Keep in mind, its just a guideline.

As far as the thirds part goes, imagine your photo has two vertical lines and two horzontal lines running through it evenly spaced from the edge to form a "grid". By placing the focal point on one of these line areas you will naturally draw the viewers eye away from the centre of the photo.

Its a rough explanation. Let me know if its too rough and I will illustrate with a picture.

Nos an modica tantum nostri somnium
"We are limited only by our imagination"

I think that i understand it now. I was thinking it was a little bit different but i think that i get the point.

Thank you jericho.

i guess i could have done a search on here .
http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1925

didnt think about it ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

Drake, Slejhamer also provided some interesting links in this thread, if you want to have a look Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Hey I've never heard it put in that way before, Jerry. Thanks for the explanation! Big Grin

thanks Irma. Those are useful too..