Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

So what do you think about...

this kit . I am going to get this ( already bought it ) to do some work out of the house . I have a handful of people that want me to shoot them and need the experence .

I am not charging these people a lot because i am so new at this , and all the people that i talked to know that i am still learning so they understand . I am going to talk to the lab and make sure that they can help me out with pricing and maybe some " expert advice " ..

So here is the next question that i have for yall... What is the largest print i will be able to get out of 35 mm without loosing anything on the pic? There are a few that i am going to take of my girls and would love to get them as big as possible?

forgot the link........

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-studio-strobe-flas...dZViewItem

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

No offense intended, but I'd suggest getting bigger softboxes if you really want soft light for portraits. Those 20x28 inchers might be good for small product shots, but I'd suggest 30x40s or bigger for waist-up portraits. Take a look at this video workshop, esp. the part about "size of the source" :
5 minute lighting

Are you talking about 35mm film? I think your print size will depend much on the film you use. A fine-grain ISO 100 35mm negative film should get you a crisp 12x18" at least, if not much larger. We have some professionally-shot 20x30" images, and in my opinion they don't look very good close up, but are fine from a modest viewing distance. Others here have much more experience with film, so hopefully they'll chime in.

You are an excellent resource Mitch. Just wanted to extend my thanks.

Nos an modica tantum nostri somnium
"We are limited only by our imagination"

No offence taken , i put it one here so that i know what i might run into. Thanks for the in put on the boxes and i will be looking to get bigger ones shortly.

Yes i ment 35mm Film, dont know why i didnt put that on here . and i have to agree with jericho your an excellent resource.........

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

Well, you need to ask yourself what you will actually do with the lights. I have some small lights like this, and for the amount of portraiture that I do they work just fine. On the other hand, if you expect to do a LOT of studio work or take photos of groups, you will want more. The sky is the limit cost wise, and sometimes a small rig like this for occasional use is all you really need.

There are so many things to spend your money on in photography - you need to prioritize as to what will give you the biggest bang for your buck.

Toad Wrote:There are so many things to spend your money on in photography - you need to prioritize as to what will give you the biggest bang for your buck.

now thats the truth , to be honest i am really just getting my feet wet and seeing what i can do with this. I know that there is so much better out there , and if this will do for right now then great, if not then i get to get more Big Grin . I think that at first i will just be playing around and then getting more to add on ..

You may struggle to output enough light out of a bigger softbox with those lights - so I would caution going out and getting another one until you get a bigger light.

You will be OK for a small family shot, with this lighting kit, if the light is quite close and you keep the aperture wide open (watch out for your depth of field).

I would really recommend a 500 watt light to produce enougth light for a decent size softbox and a group of more than four people.

Looks like you are just starting out anyway - just seems a shame to spend money on gear that you may grow out of quickly.

I recommend you set yourself up in a room in your house and take heaps of shots until you get used to the right settings - if you are shooting on 35mm film a light meter (for flash) should be an essential part of the kit as your camera will not be able to meter properly with the external kit.

Feel free to email/pm me with any other questions.

Cheers,

Chris

Canon stuff.

thans to all , the flash meter was next on the list . I know that i am putting the cart before the horse , here is the thing . I have plans on buying more as soon as i see the need ( when and if i have more people to shoot ). I felt like this would be a good starter kit for me .
If the kit doesnt work out then i will get more lights that will soot me better .

On the 35mm, I don't shoot regular film, I shoot slides, but with 35mm slides and a nikon slide scanner at 4000DPI I have printed upto 19"x13" from a slightly cropped slide with very satisfactory results.