Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tweedy

I got a bit carried away while taking pictures of my pedals and guitar and thought, why not my amp too?

It's a stock standard Blues Jr but dressed in lacquered tweed with a Jensen Special speaker, which is much more musical than the Eminence speakers the Blue Jrs usually come with.

[Image: BluesJrFront1.jpg]

God has placed me on earth to accomplish certain things.
Right now, I am so far behind that I will never die.

Yummy!! Big Grin

Sweet! That's one of the speakers I played with at Guitar Center when I was noodling with Squiers a few weeks ago. It's really amazing how good a cheap guitar can sound through a good amp.

One of my colleagues at work turned me on to these. He's got the standard Blues Jr in black tolex, but he mentioned to me that he saw one for sale in one of the shops in Melbourne, but when he rang to inquire about it, they said they had sold out of it.

Then I walk into the shop and there in the corner I see it, and knowing how quickly these were being snapped up, I bought it straightaway. Plus it also helped that I had a $300 credit with the store from a previous return which made my decision that much easier.

We did a side by side comparison and while it was not immediately noticeable, my amp just has a bit more of everything: lush bass, punchy mids, glassy highs but not harsh. New speakers also take some time to break in and now I find that I'm more amazed by the sounds that I get from this baby than before. Big Grin

There's just something magical about a tube amp...

I played one of these again today - the standard one, as they didn't have the tweedy in stock anymore (but are getting more in.)

I WANT ONE!!! Amazing amp. Great sound. We were playing a MIA Tele through it. Fun on a Friday during lunch hour! Cool

I also played with the new 5w Epiphone Valve Jr. amp. That thing is LOUD for 5 watts!!! Probably as loud as a 30w solid state amp. And dirt cheap too. But not nearly as versatile as the Blues Jr.

I only bought strings and a strap for the '51. Sad

slejhamer Wrote:I only bought strings and a strap for the '51. Sad

Haha, and your wallet thanks you for it. Big Grin

shuttertalk Wrote:
slejhamer Wrote:I only bought strings and a strap for the '51. Sad

Haha, and your wallet thanks you for it. Big Grin

LOL; too true. So now I've got the Blues Junior Blues!

Epiphone's got a new 5-watter? Cool... I haven't seen it here in Australia... yet.

If you do decide to buy the Blues Jr, the after-market mod most people recommend (that I've read about) is a new speaker - either a Jensen C12N (ceramic) or P12N (alnico) or a Celestion V30. My Tweedy came with the Jensen C12N installed, which saved me having to get it done.