Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Creative Nature

I have eight days to come come up with four images for a "Creative Nature" photo contest at my club. I'm not even sure what 'creative nature' is. I'm in absolutely no danger of winning anything, but I'm new to the club, and want to make a good impression.

So far I have one photo. One. If nobody minds, I'd like to use this thread to explore some ideas. I have very little experience with nature photography, so I could REALLY use the feedback -- about anything.

I'm not even sure what I think of the single photo I have. I've never done anything like it before. Any thoughts?

[Image: ir-grass-0407.jpg]

"Grass and a Deep Blue Sky"

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

hi

uuhmm this monitor of my...is terrible i only see black not dark blue!! anyway

why not crop closer to the curve branch, as like this the branches are pointing to the right and there is nothing there.

maybe something like this....sorry for copying ur shot...but it has a lot of potencial

[Image: ir-grass-0407%20copy.jpg]

reagards

christian

I like it the way it is...

The negative space is used really well and the eyes are really drawn to the grass and can spend time exploring the patterns as nothing else is there to distract.
My only issue with it is the few blades of grass out of focus across the front of the image.

A great image...well done! Big Grin

Muzza

"The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer." -Anonymous

I too like the use of negative space in the original shot, the cropped shot is far too cramped.

I like both versions but my vote goes to the original. Maybe be careful of the title you choose. Sometimes best without one. When I first saw your project title "Creative Nature" I thought of a past challenge called "Patterns in Nature". Hope that little tidbit sheds some light. Smile

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

I like the original too - to me the photo says "grow! grow!" Big Grin

How about some juxtaposition between intricate nature subjects vs boring plain man made stuff? Like a post vs a tree, or a collage of different things.

Hm... "nature" could be taken to mean "personality" too, so you could possibly have a photo of a child finger painting on a wall for example... Big Grin

All the best!

Love it matthew!
Lovely contrast and detail, and the composition really works despite breaking numerous "rules". The subtle gradient in the background also really adds to it and gives a feeling of space rather than just nothingness.

This is also one image that I think really benefits from the frame you have around it.

It would make a fantastic desktop background I think... if it were me I'd flip it left to right because I generally have my icons along the top and/or left. (I hope flipping it doesn't ruin the balance it has).

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

I undestand as "creative nature" what nature creates and catch my eye.... As Colin mentioned patterns in nature, forms or shapes, colors in nature would be creative nature to me... These images fit my idea... Smithy created by nature foto here .... and natural burshes foto here ...

Note: The first picture is not mine... It is from a friend of mine. He is an Italian gardener... the second one is mine... It catched my eye because this dandelion resembles a bursh... and I found it creative and artistic from nature...

As nature is not only plants but also sky, rivers, seashores, trees, mountains... and they are in constant creation of forms and patterns that humans can relate with something else or just admire... The sky creats a cloud as fluffy as a ball of cotton... or the power of a vine can create a pergola... or the laborious knitting of a cobweb... As creation is something that evolves... the picture could aslo show that...

These are my ideas about the title of your challenge... Hope you don't find them too romantic ... or philosophic ... I love nature... Wink

About the picture...

I think I can understand why byrt went for a crop... To me the long grass frames the picture and there is no need to have more space around... I also think that in a composition like this it would be better if everything is in focus. I think it is also important to have a point to start that catches your eye and from this start sacanning that corner of the picture to find details that will make the viewer get interested...

Hope this helps.
Irma.

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Thanks everyone for the thoughts and feedback, both on the photo and the subject.

byrt, you don't need to adjust your set, and you didn't even crop down to the original image. The original photo is a portrait format of the grass, ending just to the right of the curved stalk. The rest is added black, which I did to isolate the grass even more.

the "Deep Blue Sky" part of the title is because this is an infra-red photo, which makes the sky look black. I realize the name is a bit of a danger -- I have a history of counterproductive titles. (See 'Wrath'.) I'm not certain I'll keep it.

Here's another one I'm thinking of submitting. I need four of them.

[Image: climbing-0410.jpg]

climbing

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Very interesting abstract photo with curved stem in dynamic with the straight grass.

I agree that there might be too much blank space. I see it only in monochrome.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Wonderful image, what do you use to shoot your IR shots? What equipment?

I also like this one Matt... Very nice and goes great with the theme... The detail is beautiful..

Paul Cezanne

Sorry about the confusion, but so far these have been pure B&W photos. I'm considering trying for an all-IR theme, but I need to take two more good photos. That's a stumper.

EB, I'm using a stock Sony F828 in 'nightshot' mode. This removes the IR blocking filter from the light path, and I add an R72 filter to complete the transformation. Unfortunately, Sony crippled the IR abilities of the camera by forcing a maximum shutter speed of 1/30s and not allowing any photographic control, so it's a bit hit-and-miss. (I'm also using an 0.6ND filter, which isn't enough.) There is a way to remove the internal IR-Cut filter, but it involves paying money to Some Guy On The Internet.

Thanks for the info, my Fuhi was pretty useful for IR, haven't tried my rebel yet, though from what I have read it is very hit and miss.

I always like looking at your work Matt, it has so much energy and exploration. That top one, uncropped, really works well. I'm also a sucker for IR mono, which I did much of when I was a filmy and not a digi! Textures are gorgeous in your study, but maybe too many of them? The water and grasses on their own would be stonking, as would, say, a single tree against a sunny sky with one solitary cloud; but as always mate, really engaging stuff.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Thanks, Zig; I've gone back and cropped out the ground from the boulder shot. It simplifies the composition slightly (but I miss the lower section of the vine) but also it removes a 'hand of man' aspect. Apparently domestic animals and ornamental plants are allowed, but pavement is not...

[Image: f4fod2.jpg] climbing #2

I have a lot of respect for people who do IR with film, especially using SLRs. It's a real craft, with plenty of challenges. I have one of the better cameras for IR work - I can actually see and focus with the filter in place - and fight against it every step of the way. I really need one of those welding-glass ND filters to be able to work in sunlight.

Here's a variant of one that I've posted before.

[Image: f4foft.jpg] bonsai river #2

And another that I took two nights ago in my front yard. It's a small plant lit by three torches: two bright white-LED lights below, and an incandescent to camera-left. Yes, I collect flashlights, and yes, I buy them based on their usefulness for photography.

[Image: f4fpr7.jpg] torched

... and that's the set of four images (including the IR grass) that I've come up with for 'creative nature', something I've never shot before. Except for Torched, they were all shot in one small park on the Toronto waterfront.

I like all of these 3 - but I have the same comment on all - no clear focal point (subject). Maybe its just personal preference - but I like an immediate goto spot in a photo and then drift to the rest of the shot. All of these are very rich in subject - but there isn't a clear starting point for me to get ahold of and use as a beachhead from which to explore the rest of the photo.

Toad, you're absolutely right, and thanks for the checkup. It's a common problem for me, especially when I'm not focused. My pictures tend to be pointless; backgrounds looking for a subject. (I blame Freeman Patterson.)

The results are in...

'Grass and a deep blue sky', as widely predicted, tripped the judges with its title. Still, it received 20/30 as a total from the three judges.
'Climbing', the other IR photo, got a nice crowd reaction and another 20/30.
'Bonsai River' totaled 16/30.
'Torched', with the plants lit by flashlights, similarly confused the judges and brought in a 15/30.

All told, no surprises, and the critiques here have been spot-on.

Thanks for the help.

Congratulations Matt Smile

Your Bonsai River has been an inspiration to me.... the same as your "macro landscape" photography concept... I liked the idea since the very first time I read it in your post......
There is a trunk I really love in the nearby forest... It looks like a cliff... somehow... I have been there three times taking pictures to get the great picture... Still I am working to get its best face.... Wink

Paul Cezanne

Congratulations Matt.

How often do you hold these themed competitions?

Congrats Matthew - you should be proud of your effort... Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Rolf
Feb 7, 2015, 12:18
Last Post by Kombisaurus
Oct 20, 2005, 12:48